PDA

View Full Version : ??? earthworm attracting device?

None
September 22nd, 2003, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know how to make an earthworm attracting device for collecting
my own earthworms/nightcrawlers? I remember a fishing buddy (when I was 5
years old) had a battery powered device that stuck in the ground. You'd
leave it in the ground for a few hours and presto magico there would be a
bunch of worms all concentrated around the device.
I think I remember being told that the worms were attracted to the electric
current. I don't remember for sure because, like I said, I was 5 years old
and that was 20+ years ago.
I'm thinking of using a 9volt battery, 2 alligator clips, and two pieces of
coat hanger. Stick the pieces of coat hanger in the ground a few inches
apart and attach positive to one and ground/earth to the other. Do you
think it will work?
Joe

licker
September 22nd, 2003, 08:31 PM
Try making a compost pile. Throw old leaves, grass, vegetables in it. Turn
it over a occasionally and you will have plenty of worms when ever you need
it. I can turn two shovels worth in mine and get at least 50 or so nice
size worms.

Sarge

Terry Bullard
September 24th, 2003, 02:26 PM
>I'm thinking of using a 9volt battery, 2 alligator clips, and two pieces of
>coat hanger. Stick the pieces of coat hanger in the ground a few inches
>apart and attach positive to one and ground/earth to the other. Do you
>think it will work?
>Joe

Hi Joe,
I don't think it will work. Not enough juice! Take a couple of steel rods and
put them in the ground about 4 feet a part and hook up 110v, 1 wire to each
rod. That will work. I've seen kits which do the same only with wood handles in
some sporting good stores. Then there is the old fashion way of watering down
your lawn really good 6 hours before nightfall. Go out at night with a
flashlight and snag them from their holes, ya got to be quick, grin.
Terry
--
Crayfishing Made Easy!
http://www.terrybullard.com

Da Chief
September 24th, 2003, 06:35 PM
"Terry Bullard" > wrote in message
> >I'm thinking of using a 9volt battery, 2 alligator clips, and two pieces
of
> >coat hanger. Stick the pieces of coat hanger in the ground a few inches
> >apart and attach positive to one and ground/earth to the other. Do you
> >think it will work?
> >Joe
> >
> Hi Joe,
> I don't think it will work. Not enough juice! Take a couple of steel rods
and
> put them in the ground about 4 feet a part and hook up 110v, 1 wire to
each
> rod. That will work. I've seen kits which do the same only with wood
handles in
> some sporting good stores. Then there is the old fashion way of watering
down
> your lawn really good 6 hours before nightfall. Go out at night with a
> flashlight and snag them from their holes, ya got to be quick, grin.
> Terry
> --
> Crayfishing Made Easy!
> http://www.terrybullard.com

It's been said by those older than I (that would make them ancient, but not
pre-historic) that the vibration of a handsaw sawing on a tree or board
(pounded into the ground) is like fingernails on a chalk board to worms.
Seems they do their best to escape such by coming out of the ground.
--
Shelby Foles,

Bill Kiene
September 25th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Hi All,

I think people use 12 volt DC car batteries or even 110 volt AC house
current. You put two screw drivers into the grass about 2 to 4 feet apart
(where there are night crawler holes) and put one wire to each. Get back and
hook up the power. The power is killing them so they come up to keep from
being electrocuted. I did read once where an elderly women was electrocuted
doing this.

When I was a teenage would go out after dark to a baseball field in
Sacramento, CA @ around 24th & C street. We would get on our hands and knees
with a small flash light in our mouth. We put some colored plastic wrap over
the lens so there was less light, only a glow. We would see the shine of the
big night crawlers that had come up out of their holes, probably to mate. We
would grab them and slowly pull them the rest of the way out and put them
into a plastic bag we were carrying. We then put them into a cooler with
"worm bedding" we bought at the bait shop. Then we would head for the
mountains to catch some trout.
--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's "Bait-n-tackle"
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"None" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to make an earthworm attracting device for collecting
> my own earthworms/nightcrawlers? I remember a fishing buddy (when I was 5
> years old) had a battery powered device that stuck in the ground. You'd
> leave it in the ground for a few hours and presto magico there would be a
> bunch of worms all concentrated around the device.
> I think I remember being told that the worms were attracted to the
electric
> current. I don't remember for sure because, like I said, I was 5 years
old
> and that was 20+ years ago.
> I'm thinking of using a 9volt battery, 2 alligator clips, and two pieces
of
> coat hanger. Stick the pieces of coat hanger in the ground a few inches
> apart and attach positive to one and ground/earth to the other. Do you
> think it will work?
> Joe

Robb Nunya
October 7th, 2003, 05:05 AM
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:07:20 GMT, "Bill Kiene" >
scribed:

>Hi All,
>
>I think people use 12 volt DC car batteries or even 110 volt AC house
>current. You put two screw drivers into the grass about 2 to 4 feet apart
>(where there are night crawler holes) and put one wire to each. Get back and
>hook up the power. The power is killing them so they come up to keep from
>being electrocuted. I did read once where an elderly women was electrocuted
>doing this.
>
>When I was a teenage would go out after dark to a baseball field in
>Sacramento, CA @ around 24th & C street. We would get on our hands and knees
>with a small flash light in our mouth. We put some colored plastic wrap over
>the lens so there was less light, only a glow. We would see the shine of the
>big night crawlers that had come up out of their holes, probably to mate. We
>would grab them and slowly pull them the rest of the way out and put them
>into a plastic bag we were carrying. We then put them into a cooler with
>"worm bedding" we bought at the bait shop. Then we would head for the
>mountains to catch some trout.

Please remember that a car battery has enough amps to fry you nice &
crispy, so if you try this at home, be CAREFUL! And don't even get me
started on house current!