PDA

View Full Version : Pan Frying Trout Preparation

Charliec
May 9th, 2004, 10:26 PM
I want to pan fry trout, but would like to butterfly them to flatten them
out prior to frying. What would be the best approach to butterflying trout
- cut down the center of the backbone?? Or is there a better approach to
accomplishing this?
Thanks
Charlie
Charliec

Fleaman
May 10th, 2004, 04:58 AM
"Charliec" > wrote in message
> I want to pan fry trout, but would like to butterfly them to flatten them
> out prior to frying. What would be the best approach to butterflying
trout
> - cut down the center of the backbone?? Or is there a better approach to
> accomplishing this?
> Thanks
> Charlie
> ************************************************** ****
> Charliec

Why not just filet them like a walleye etc, cut out the back bone and the
ribs.

I do it with the larger trout 13"+ and it works fine to fry. Anything
smaller than that its cooks pretty easily gutted and left whole(I cut the
head off). Butter and garlic is my favorite followed by butter and Mrs
Dash.

Charliec
May 10th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Thanks Fleaman,
I'll give it a go.
Charlie

>"Fleaman" > wrote:

>"Charliec" > wrote in message
>> I want to pan fry trout, but would like to butterfly them to flatten them
>> out prior to frying. What would be the best approach to butterflying
>trout
>> - cut down the center of the backbone?? Or is there a better approach to
>> accomplishing this?
>> Thanks
>> Charlie
>> ************************************************** ****
>> Charliec
>
>Why not just filet them like a walleye etc, cut out the back bone and the
>ribs.
>
>I do it with the larger trout 13"+ and it works fine to fry. Anything
>smaller than that its cooks pretty easily gutted and left whole(I cut the
>head off). Butter and garlic is my favorite followed by butter and Mrs
>Dash.

Charliec

\(oYo\)
May 19th, 2004, 07:59 PM
We butterfly them down the backbone , but only if they are going into the
smoker.
just to pan fry we leave them whole ( minus the head and guts of course.)
"Charliec" > wrote in message
> I want to pan fry trout, but would like to butterfly them to flatten them
> out prior to frying. What would be the best approach to butterflying
trout
> - cut down the center of the backbone?? Or is there a better approach to
> accomplishing this?
> Thanks
> Charlie
> ************************************************** ****
> Charliec

QLW
May 31st, 2004, 07:26 AM
I love most salwater fish but I've never been a fan of freshwater fish.
Last summer I carried sal****er Texas caught speckled trout to a family
lakeside get-together in W.Va. for a fish fry, mainly so that I would not
have to eat fresh water fish. Several large fresh water trout had been
caught that morning in the cold water below the dam and they were big enough
to make 8" to 12" fillets and they deep fried great. The flesh of this
trout was almost yellow in color and the meat was flakey and delicious after
cooking. I'd eaten stocked trout years before and it was awful. I still
don't like most freshwater fish (including farm raised catfish) but that did
change my mind about "native" trout. Crappy is OK and we catch a little
fish that they call a "rock bass" in a cold stream around a family camp near
Moorefield, W.Va. that is reasonable. I fillet almost everything that is
big enough to make a decent piece of fish unless I'm going to bake or
BBQ/smoke it. I put four nice (16-18") specks on ice tonight and will
have them with sauteed shrimp for lunch tomorrow. I love living on the
bayou!!!
Quinton