PDA

View Full Version : Help w/fishing in Texas

fishrman
May 16th, 2004, 05:46 PM
I have just moved to Plano, Tx. after 18 years in Anchorage, Ak. Needless
to say, the species, methods, etc. of fish here are slightly different than
I am used to. If there be some kind souls that live in the Dallas area that
would be willing to give me some pointers as to where, when, with what,
etc. to fish here I would be forever in their debt. I am interested in
freshwater fishing opportunities for myself and my 9 year old son and also
thinking about taking some gulf charters if and when I can afford them
again.

TIA
Frank Durfee

Freida Morgan
June 3rd, 2004, 08:49 AM
Lake ray hubbard in dallas offers some of the best quantity and quality sand
bass fishing if you and a child want to have a blast by just dropping a slab
bait over the edge of the boat and letting it drop straight down. just
follow the birds and boats for some furious action.

"fishrman" > wrote in message
s.com...
> I have just moved to Plano, Tx. after 18 years in Anchorage, Ak. Needless
> to say, the species, methods, etc. of fish here are slightly different
than
> I am used to. If there be some kind souls that live in the Dallas area
that
> would be willing to give me some pointers as to where, when, with what,
> etc. to fish here I would be forever in their debt. I am interested in
> freshwater fishing opportunities for myself and my 9 year old son and also
> thinking about taking some gulf charters if and when I can afford them
> again.
>
> TIA
> Frank Durfee

Azagarian
June 5th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Just be careful to read the lake/river reports to see what the DDT and PCB
counts are for Texas lakes. Not all waterways carry fish you may want to
actually consume...

Texas lakes that are good for fishing & keeping are Lake O'The Pine in
Longview, Lake Texoma--which is great for Striper, I like the Guadalupe
River as well. Texas has lots of lakes, just be sure you are aware of the
hazards. Us Texans like to pollute our waterways.

My most recent favorite is Canyon Lake outside of Austin.

"Freida Morgan" > wrote in message
> Lake ray hubbard in dallas offers some of the best quantity and quality
sand
> bass fishing if you and a child want to have a blast by just dropping a
slab
> bait over the edge of the boat and letting it drop straight down. just
> follow the birds and boats for some furious action.
>
> "fishrman" > wrote in message
> s.com...
> > I have just moved to Plano, Tx. after 18 years in Anchorage, Ak.
Needless
> > to say, the species, methods, etc. of fish here are slightly different
> than
> > I am used to. If there be some kind souls that live in the Dallas area
> that
> > would be willing to give me some pointers as to where, when, with what,
> > etc. to fish here I would be forever in their debt. I am interested in
> > freshwater fishing opportunities for myself and my 9 year old son and
also
> > thinking about taking some gulf charters if and when I can afford them
> > again.
> >
> > TIA
> > Frank Durfee

Robb
June 12th, 2004, 05:56 AM
On Sun, 16 May 2004 16:46:51 GMT, fishrman > scribed:

>I have just moved to Plano, Tx. after 18 years in Anchorage, Ak. Needless
>to say, the species, methods, etc. of fish here are slightly different than
>I am used to. If there be some kind souls that live in the Dallas area that
>would be willing to give me some pointers as to where, when, with what,
>etc. to fish here I would be forever in their debt. I am interested in
>freshwater fishing opportunities for myself and my 9 year old son and also
>thinking about taking some gulf charters if and when I can afford them
>again.
>
>TIA
>Frank Durfee

I had a GREAT time about 70 miles South of Plano at Lake Navarro
Mills. It's basically in between Corsicana and Hillsboro. The lake
holds the Black Crappie record, and even a bad day netted us 11
keeepers (any Crappie over 10" in Tx is considered a keeper). They
were tasty too :) We were on the fishing barge due to lack of boat...
Who knows what we might have pulled in if we ahd the proper equipment.
And Hilllsboro is a good place to drop off the wife for a days of
shopping at the outlet mall... Just make sure you limit her funds! :)