PDA

View Full Version : Pocket fish finder

Rodney
December 31st, 2003, 03:48 PM
Has anyone used these little things before ?

I might have thrown away 59 dollars yesterday, but I bought one for use
with my Hobie out back fishing kayak, this thing has a transducer that
has a float on it, and 30 feet of cable that can be thrown out from the
boat, pier, or bank, to look for fish and give the depth.

It uses four AA batteries, which is great for the little outback (no
huge heavy 12 volt battery needed) I will be using NiMh rechargibles in it.

ANyone with any experience with it that can share will be appreciated
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,

Matt
December 31st, 2003, 09:55 PM
Let us know what you think after a field test, Rodney. I have a Bottom Line
Fishing Buddy that I use on my pond boats and when tubing. It's a good
little unit for the boats (probably a good choice for your kayak) and has a
temperature gauge, but is a bit of a nuisance hanging on the tube.
As far as needing a 12 volt battery, most portable models of standard depth
finders run on 2-6 volt lantern batteries. My "Buddy" uses 3 C-cells.

Matt

"Rodney" > wrote in message
> Has anyone used these little things before ?
>
> I might have thrown away 59 dollars yesterday, but I bought one for use
> with my Hobie out back fishing kayak, this thing has a transducer that
> has a float on it, and 30 feet of cable that can be thrown out from the
> boat, pier, or bank, to look for fish and give the depth.
>
> It uses four AA batteries, which is great for the little outback (no
> huge heavy 12 volt battery needed) I will be using NiMh rechargibles in
it.

> ANyone with any experience with it that can share will be appreciated
> --
> Rodney Long,
> Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,
> Straight Up Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights,
> and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Bob La Londe
December 31st, 2003, 10:57 PM
Use a 4 or 6 amp gell cell.

"Matt" > wrote in message
> Let us know what you think after a field test, Rodney. I have a Bottom
Line
> Fishing Buddy that I use on my pond boats and when tubing. It's a good
> little unit for the boats (probably a good choice for your kayak) and has
> temperature gauge, but is a bit of a nuisance hanging on the tube.
> As far as needing a 12 volt battery, most portable models of standard
depth
> finders run on 2-6 volt lantern batteries. My "Buddy" uses 3 C-cells.
>
> Matt
>
> "Rodney" > wrote in message
> > Has anyone used these little things before ?
> >
> > I might have thrown away 59 dollars yesterday, but I bought one for use
> > with my Hobie out back fishing kayak, this thing has a transducer that
> > has a float on it, and 30 feet of cable that can be thrown out from the
> > boat, pier, or bank, to look for fish and give the depth.
> >
> > It uses four AA batteries, which is great for the little outback (no
> > huge heavy 12 volt battery needed) I will be using NiMh rechargibles in
> it.
> >
> > ANyone with any experience with it that can share will be appreciated
> > --
> > Rodney Long,
> > Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,
> > Straight Up Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights,
> > and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

David H. Lipman
December 31st, 2003, 11:32 PM
I suggest using Lithium AA batteries. They last *much* longer. They are just not
rechargeable.
Radio Shack and Sears sells them.

Dave

"Rodney" > wrote in message ...
| Has anyone used these little things before ?
|
| I might have thrown away 59 dollars yesterday, but I bought one for use
| with my Hobie out back fishing kayak, this thing has a transducer that
| has a float on it, and 30 feet of cable that can be thrown out from the
| boat, pier, or bank, to look for fish and give the depth.
|
| It uses four AA batteries, which is great for the little outback (no
| huge heavy 12 volt battery needed) I will be using NiMh rechargibles in it.
|
| ANyone with any experience with it that can share will be appreciated
| --
| Rodney Long,
| Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,
| Straight Up Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights,
| and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Rodney
January 1st, 2004, 12:59 AM
David H. Lipman wrote:

> I suggest using Lithium AA batteries. They last *much* longer. They are just not
> rechargeable.
> Radio Shack and Sears sells them.

This unit will run 18 hours on four AA NiMh batteries, they recharge in
1 hour, can be recharged 1,000 times, and cost me about 80 cents a
piece. (that's less than good Alkilines) In other words, I will never
have to replace them in this unit.

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,
Straight Up Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights,
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Joy
January 3rd, 2004, 02:13 PM
I bought my husband one for Christmas... We took it out on the pond.... I
think it was kind of neat.... showed how deep the pond was and how far off
the bottom the fish are....Just wonder if you can turn the beeping off....
(It beeps, when it sees fish)
(hubby just said it can be turned off) LOL... He seems to like the baby fish
finder... I know I had fun saying..."theres another one!!" four, three!!
hehehe

Joy

"Rodney" > wrote in message
> Has anyone used these little things before ?
>
> I might have thrown away 59 dollars yesterday, but I bought one for use
> with my Hobie out back fishing kayak, this thing has a transducer that
> has a float on it, and 30 feet of cable that can be thrown out from the
> boat, pier, or bank, to look for fish and give the depth.
>
> It uses four AA batteries, which is great for the little outback (no
> huge heavy 12 volt battery needed) I will be using NiMh rechargibles in
it.

> ANyone with any experience with it that can share will be appreciated
> --
> Rodney Long,
> Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,
> Straight Up Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights,
> and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Chicago Paddling-Fishing
January 4th, 2004, 04:35 PM
In rec.outdoors.fishing Rodney > wrote:
: Has anyone used these little things before ?

: I might have thrown away 59 dollars yesterday, but I bought one for use
: with my Hobie out back fishing kayak, this thing has a transducer that
: has a float on it, and 30 feet of cable that can be thrown out from the
: boat, pier, or bank, to look for fish and give the depth.

: It uses four AA batteries, which is great for the little outback (no
: huge heavy 12 volt battery needed) I will be using NiMh rechargibles in it.

: ANyone with any experience with it that can share will be appreciated

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it, I have a fishingbuddy II and
one of those flashlight sized portables from Cabelas for icefishing but all
that gives is a depth reading on a LCD screen and a beep if a fish swims
under it...

The fishingbuddy is portable, but I bought the other one because it just
wasn't as portable as I wanted sometimes...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

Bob La Londe
January 7th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Find any pocket fish yet?

RGarri7470
January 7th, 2004, 05:17 PM

>Find any pocket fish yet?

See my reply in the other newsgroups where this was posted.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

barbz
January 8th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Bob La Londe wrote:
> Find any pocket fish yet?

Just trouser trout...

barbz

RGarri7470
January 8th, 2004, 03:27 PM
>Just trouser trout...
>
>barbz

Hope you didn't find the same one I did!
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com