PDA

View Full Version : Field & Stream, Feb. 2004, issue, page 28 - "Cats In The Cold"

Garrison Hilliard
January 12th, 2004, 06:36 PM
There's an excellent article on winter catfishing in this issue!

Rodney
January 13th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Garrison Hilliard wrote:
> There's an excellent article on winter catfishing in this issue!

Just tell us where they are :-)

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,

Rodney
January 13th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Garrison Hilliard wrote:
> Rodney > wrote:
>
>>Garrison Hilliard wrote:
>>
>>>There's an excellent article on winter catfishing in this issue!
>>
>>Just tell us where they are :-)
>

> Well, according to the article, the spots to look for are
>
> 1. The Cumberland River, KY-TN border
>
> 2. The Ohio River by Cincinnati, Ohio
>
> 3. The Mississippi River from Cairo, IL southward
>
> 4. The Tennessee River, TN-AL border
>
> 5. The James River, Virginia.

You mean all the cats migrate to these points ???????????

I want to know how deep they were fishing, and what was next to where
they were fishing (holes, rocks, brush, or channels)

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,
Straight Up Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights,
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Garrison Hilliard
January 13th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Rodney > wrote:
>You mean all the cats migrate to these points ???????????

Yep. ;-)

>I want to know how deep they were fishing, and what was next to where
>they were fishing (holes, rocks, brush, or channels)

Three feet off of the bottom along the slopw of submerged ledges.

Rodney
January 13th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Garrison Hilliard wrote:

> Three feet off of the bottom along the slopw of submerged ledges.

Perfect for my new hook :-)

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,
Straight Up Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights,
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

David Lee
January 14th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Sorry Rod-I gotta butt in here? An interesting article in a mag covering
several States? That's kinda like having a dog that will point several
species? Someone needs to quit reading of fishin and go do the real
thing? :-) "That" would be a valuable report. Heck--they is hanging 6
foot cats in Spain? osb

Garrison Hilliard
January 17th, 2004, 04:59 AM
> From: (David Lee)
>
>Sorry Rod-I gotta butt in here? An interesting article in a mag covering
>several States? That's kinda like having a dog that will point several
>species? Someone needs to quit reading of fishin and go do the real
>thing? :-) "That" would be a valuable report. Heck--they is hanging 6
>foot cats in Spain? osb

Okee-dokee... try this article, then...

Thursday, January 15, 2004
Don't let winter freeze out fishing

By Shauna Scott Rhone
The Cincinnati Enquirer

Imagine enjoying a lazy day with a group of your fishing buddies at the
lake, waiting for the catch of the day.

Now imagine doing it wearing coveralls, fingerless gloves, 40-below-rated
boots and fleece covering your face, using pitching jigs, grubs and live
shiners to entice smallmouth bass.

It's January and the air temperature is about 25 degrees.

That shouldn't stop you. In fact, now is a great time to head to the
water.

"Winter fishing isn't a numbers game," says Lee McClellan, information
officer for the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources in
Frankfort. "Most of the time, you catch less than 10 fish a day, but they
usually are quality fish."

McClellan says three winters ago, he caught a 211/2-inch, 5-pound
smallmouth bass, and he and his partner caught about 20 smallmouth in one
day, plus a small striped bass.

When area lakes are stocked in October, the gilled survivors of the
warm-weather fishing season have fattened themselves up by the time
snowflakes start to fly the following year.

Not only are the fish bigger, there's another advantage to winter fishing.

"The beauty of it is, (fish) school tighter when the water's cold," says
Al Lindner, a member of National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame.

Fish, like smallmouth bass, also swim closer to the surface. That makes
them easier to find in the water. Just drop your line where they are
instead of waiting for them to come to you.

Lindner, who also enjoys ice fishing north of here, says the Tristate is a
"fringe market" for coldwater fishing. Because of its locale, rivers and
lakes here get frosty, but rarely freeze. In fact, the Ohio River hasn't
frozen solid for more than 20 years.

That hasn't stopped local fishers like Mike Arnold. He and other members
of the Northern Kentucky Fly Fishers cast their lines on the coldest days
in all parts of the Tristate. For them, a good winter catch is a given.

"Trout are more cold water-oriented than bass and bluegill," says Arnold,
"so we go after them more in the winter."

Jean Russell is a touring pro with the Women's Bass Fishing Association
(www.wbfatour.com) . She says winter fishing isn't for everyone, but
encourages women to bundle up and give it a try.

"I love the suspense of going fishing," she says. "The waiting and the
anticipation of making a big catch."

A professional angler since 1999, Russell wants to bust the myth that
women meet with male hostility at the fishing hole.

"There are no barriers," she says. "Fishing should be more of a family
event and I hope more women get involved."

E-mail

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/01/15/tem_fishing15.html

(Good pictures at the website)