PDA

View Full Version : Need fishing hint

Rob
March 2nd, 2004, 12:36 AM
I live in San Diego. Here they stock channel cat fish in the lakes. I
never was lucky enough to catch a cat fish. I will appreciate if someone
would give me some hints how can I catch a cat fish.
Thanks.

Jerry
March 2nd, 2004, 02:10 AM
Rob wrote:
> I live in San Diego. Here they stock channel cat fish in the lakes. I
> never was lucky enough to catch a cat fish. I will appreciate if someone
> would give me some hints how can I catch a cat fish.
> Thanks.

The catfish stocked in lakes in California are raised in a hatchery so
are use to prepared baits and these will work but are slow going. One
of the best things I have found for stocked catfish while living out
there was chicken liver. Just run your hook through the liver two or
three times and kind of lob it out into the water. Don't try a power
cast or the bait will fly from the hook. Some people tie the bait on or
use stuff like old panty hose to make sac's kind of like salmon egg
sacks but I never found this necessary. Once the catfish come in to
feed on the liver, the blood in the water will keep them coming in. If
the lake you are fishing in allows minnows you can switch to large
minnows once the catfish start feeding, plus you might even hook a nice
bass. Be sure and check the regulations because many lakes in
California do not allow live bait except for worms. Catfish are not
hook or line shy so don't worry about going on the heavy side for this.
For stocked catfish a 2/0 or 3/0 hook and 12-14 pound line will work
just fine. San Diego lakes have some pretty good size catfish in their
lakes so hang onto that rod if you don't want to loose it.

Jerry

Rodney LongShot
March 2nd, 2004, 03:19 AM
Jerry wrote:

> Rob wrote:
>
>> I live in San Diego. Here they stock channel cat fish in the lakes. I
>> never was lucky enough to catch a cat fish. I will appreciate if someone
>> would give me some hints how can I catch a cat fish.
>> Thanks.
>>

> The catfish stocked in lakes in California are raised in a hatchery so
> are use to prepared baits and these will work but are slow going. One
> of the best things I have found for stocked catfish while living out
> there was chicken liver. Just run your hook through the liver two or
> three times and kind of lob it out into the water. Don't try a power
> cast or the bait will fly from the hook.

> Some people tie the bait on

The best way is just wrap, don't tie, 10 inches of sewing thread around
the liver and hook,, don't try to do it real tight, it's not necessary,
but the wraps really work on keeping that liver on the hook

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Stand Out Hooks ,

John
March 2nd, 2004, 04:41 AM
Try using chicken gizzards. Tough enough to stay on hook.

John

"Rob" > wrote in message
om...
> I live in San Diego. Here they stock channel cat fish in the lakes. I
> never was lucky enough to catch a cat fish. I will appreciate if someone
> would give me some hints how can I catch a cat fish.
> Thanks.

Pepperoni
March 2nd, 2004, 06:42 AM
Best tip for channels is to start fishing at twilight, fish the flats next
to deeper river channels with current. They will come out of the deep to
feed as soon as the light fades. I do well using all beef hot dog sliced
about 1/4 inch thick. Use the ones with a tough skin and hook in and out
through the skin. I also take some good ones using leeches. I usually hook
5-6 leeches through the sucker--- looks like a ball of worms twitching.
Grampa bass are likely to hit them, too.

Tie your rod down unless you intend to hold it all night. Your rod will
take off about the time you start to relax and enjoy the view.

"Rob" > wrote in message
om...
> I live in San Diego. Here they stock channel cat fish in the lakes. I
> never was lucky enough to catch a cat fish. I will appreciate if someone
> would give me some hints how can I catch a cat fish.
> Thanks.

Moontanman
March 5th, 2004, 12:36 PM

>I live in San Diego. Here they stock channel cat fish in the lakes. I
>never was lucky enough to catch a cat fish. I will appreciate if someone
>would give me some hints how can I catch a cat fish.
>Thanks.

Hmmm, lets see, fish at night, use night crawler worms or some other big juicy
worms, chicken liver is good bait too, be as quiet as possible while fishing,
don't move around much or make a commotion. Fish in deep water. that about
covers it.

Moon
I breed dwarf crayfish for planted aquariums and grow trees in aquariums.
My groups

Todd Norris
March 5th, 2004, 11:14 PM
When I was a kid,I use frozen sardines or
anchovies for bait. I had cut them in chunks.
Also used nightcrawlers in the Russian river.
I used a egg sinker with a barrel swishel and
foot long sinker with two no.4 hooks. In some
of county and city lakes in Tucson,AZ. I seen
hot dogs and commerial blood bait being used.
Good luck in your fishing.

Trouter

Rodney LongShot
March 6th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Todd Norris wrote:
> When I was a kid,I use frozen sardines or
> anchovies for bait. I had cut them in chunks.
> Also used nightcrawlers in the Russian river.
> I used a egg sinker with a barrel swishel and
> foot long sinker with two no.4 hooks.

I would think them "foot long sinkers" would be a might difficult to
cast :-)

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Stand Out Hooks ,
Stand Out Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Mojo's Long
Shot rig
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Todd Norris
March 7th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Rodney,

If you readed my post right. I said foot long
leaders with a l oz. egg sinker and barrel swishel with two no.4 hooks.
Any good spinning or spincart rod can cast up to 8 to 12
feet from the shore.

Jerry
March 8th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Todd Norris wrote:
> Rodney,
>
> If you readed my post right. I said foot long
> leaders with a l oz. egg sinker and barrel swishel with two no.4 hooks.
> Any good spinning or spincart rod can cast up to 8 to 12
> feet from the shore.

Sorry Todd but you said foot long sinker. Go back and read it yourself.
BTW, you sure you want to use a No. 4 hook for catfish? Personally I
use 3/0 and 4/0 hooks and trust me my cast is a lot farther than 8-12
feet. :)

Jerry

Rodney LongShot
March 9th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Todd Norris wrote:

> Rodney,
>
> If you readed my post right. I said foot long
> leaders with a l oz. egg sinker and barrel swishel with two no.4 hooks.

I know you were thinking that, but you wrote

> When I was a kid,I use frozen sardines or
> anchovies for bait. I had cut them in chunks.
> Also used nightcrawlers in the Russian river.
> I used a egg sinker with a barrel swishel and
> foot long sinker with two no.4 hooks. In some
> of county and city lakes in Tucson,AZ. I seen
> hot dogs and commerial blood bait being used.
> Good luck in your fishing.

"and a foot long sinker"

I was just funning with ya about the miss type,, I do them all the time
myself

When I fish with double hooks "on the bottom" I use a double leader
coming from the swivel behind the weight, one longer than the other,
just to separate the baits,, this does increase the number of fish
caught, by putting twice the smell in the water, and if they get one
bait, without getting hooked, the other one has a chance of nailing them.

SOmetimes I use too different size hooks, just in case squealers are
stealing the bait from the larger hook, WHen starting out sometimes I
use two different baits, just to see what they prefer on that day, then
I stick with that

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Stand Out Hooks ,
Stand Out Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Mojo's Long
Shot rig
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Rodney LongShot
March 9th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Jerry wrote:

> Todd Norris wrote:
>
>> Rodney,
>>
>> If you readed my post right. I said foot long
>> leaders with a l oz. egg sinker and barrel swishel with two no.4 hooks.
>> Any good spinning or spincart rod can cast up to 8 to 12
>> feet from the shore.
>>

> Sorry Todd but you said foot long sinker. Go back and read it yourself.
> BTW, you sure you want to use a No. 4 hook for catfish? Personally I
> use 3/0 and 4/0 hooks and trust me my cast is a lot farther than 8-12
> feet. :)
>
> Jerry

Jerry I'm with you on the bigger hooks, most of the time that is, but
one day a friend of mine came up to my boat, with a boat load of cats
all over 15 lbs, he caught on a number 4 hook, it was one of them supper
strong Mustad number 4's.

The cats were bedding in the weeds (2 to 3 feet of water), and he would
ease his boat around the weeds dropping a half a chicken liver straight
down off his bow, into the weed pockets, then hanging on for the ride.
He taught me a lot that day. He too, would not use any hook bigger than
that number 4

I have (only once) caught a 22 lb flat head on an Eagle claw number 8
long shank cricket hook, with a cricket on it ( I was not cat fishing,
but blue gill fishing), and had my drag set for 2 lbs on 4 lb line, I'm
sure glad I had 250 yds of the stuff on that reel,, I needed 225 yards,,
twice :-). I have caught many cats over this weight,, but this was the
best catch I have ever made, and one I will never forget.
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Stand Out Hooks ,
Stand Out Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Mojo's Long
Shot rig
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Jerry
March 9th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Rodney LongShot wrote:

> Jerry I'm with you on the bigger hooks, most of the time that is, but
> one day a friend of mine came up to my boat, with a boat load of cats
> all over 15 lbs, he caught on a number 4 hook, it was one of them supper
> strong Mustad number 4's.
>
> The cats were bedding in the weeds (2 to 3 feet of water), and he would
> ease his boat around the weeds dropping a half a chicken liver straight
> down off his bow, into the weed pockets, then hanging on for the ride.
> He taught me a lot that day. He too, would not use any hook bigger than
> that number 4
>
> I have (only once) caught a 22 lb flat head on an Eagle claw number 8
> long shank cricket hook, with a cricket on it ( I was not cat fishing,
> but blue gill fishing), and had my drag set for 2 lbs on 4 lb line, I'm
> sure glad I had 250 yds of the stuff on that reel,, I needed 225 yards,,
> twice :-). I have caught many cats over this weight,, but this was the
> best catch I have ever made, and one I will never forget.

Yep, any hook will sometimes work but since cats aren't hook shy and you
never know when that big one will hit I pretty much stick with the
larger one's. I've even caught them on spinner baits while bass fishing
and plugs while trolling. The smaller bait hooks like a #4 will work but
my experience is they swallow them deep half the time.

Jerry

Todd Norris
March 13th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Hi fellas,

I have reread the post that I have written and
yes I did type foot long sinker,when I had meant
a foot long leader. And where I had usually had fished for channel
cats. They are in a lake
where a variety of other species of fish can be
taken.
That is why I don't go any larger than a no.4
hook. Now that I have my gear ready for the
spring and summer fishing. I can try a larger
hook for the larger cats. Anyway good luck in
fishing.
Todd

greg Griswold
May 24th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Tight-line with gizzard shad is for me the best if you can get the shad. If
not, shrimp or black water leeches(with leeches you may catch a lot of
bullheads if there there).
When the water is choppy is good, dusk and shortly when choppy even better.
Channels like moving water.

Greg Griswold

Motorcycle "Custom Painting" Nationally-
http://www.geocities.com/paint4cycles
"FREE MONEY" From Gov't... LeskoBooks- http://www.elesko.com/shop.htm

"Rob" > wrote in message
om...
> I live in San Diego. Here they stock channel cat fish in the lakes. I
> never was lucky enough to catch a cat fish. I will appreciate if someone
> would give me some hints how can I catch a cat fish.
> Thanks.

tYruS
June 13th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Good call Todd

Many of us South Carolina lake fisherman use that same rig.
We anchor off rocky points never deep water on one side and shallow
flats on the other. I like afternoons. Light to med. spinning reels
with 6 to 12 lb. line. barrel sinker with leader and a #4 hook.
I like red worms or night crawlers. This rig gives you the the best
chance for several excellent eating fish. Bream , Shellcracker, White
perch and catfish. The first three kinds are fun while you wait for a
nice 5 to 15 lb. cat to bite. A 10 lb. cat on this rig is a ton of
fun.