PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cabela's v. Bass Pro Shops

AJH
September 19th, 2003, 03:21 PM
The BPS house brand sucks too..

I fish therefore I lie

Bob Rickard
September 19th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Rich Z is 100% on target, as usual. I have far more retail experience than I
wish I had, in both owning a high end independent Audio/Video/Autosound
store (over 20 years) and managing a Best Buy store for a while, all this
after managing a huge machine shop for years. From what I learned in all
those years, I determined at the gitgo was that Secret Weapon would not be
made available to any of the big power retailers until we were big enough
and strong enough to deal with them on our own terms. Instead, we will be
targeting good independent tackle dealers.

BPS now has their own version of a spinnerbait with interchangeable blades,
and will hopefully consider that reason enough to avoid trying to copy us
right away. I don't know how their blade changing system works, but
fortunately the lure still remains the older first generation design with
none of the performance advantages for which Secret Weapon was designed and
built.

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"Josh" > wrote in message
> I agree with Rich. I have nothing to sell, but noticed the same thing. The
> only question I have and maybe Rich knows is... do they by any chance
> contract with the inventors at a discount price to produce for BP under
the
> BP name ? That is would they take a Secret Weapon spinnerbait concept,
twist
> it a little and have SW make it for them as a BP version? I do think..
most
> of corp america's ethics are non existent.
>
> --
> God Bless America
>
> Josh The Bad Bear

John Bailey
September 20th, 2003, 02:40 AM
J Buck wrote:

> I've read several posts (both positive and negative) on Cabela's, but
> very little on Bass Pro Shops. Is either better in some particular way?
> Better selection, prices, service, etc.? Thanks

Cabela's gets most (almost all) of my orders. It used to be Bass Pro, but
I only order from them if I cannot find it anywhere else. I was a long
time loyal customer of theirs, but they abruptly refused to send their
catalogs to Canadian customers without payment for the catalog. Their
orders also take substantially longer to arrive as well. It was not just
the fact that they refused to send catalogs, but also the manner in which
their customer service department (with the exception of one person) dealt
with me.

I've rarely heard complaints about Cabela's service and their prices, if
not the lowest, will be close enough not to matter. I've never had a
problem with an order from Cabela's.

--
John

x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Marty
September 20th, 2003, 06:05 AM
I'm not gonna argue with some of the negative things said about BPS here,
because I don't know about them one way or the other. I've never had a
problem with Cabela's (or BPS, for that matter), they're a fine outfit to
deal with. But they have nothing. Just look at the two catalogs and compare
crankbaits, soft plastics, etc. and it's evident that Cabela's isn't even
close to BPS in selection, which is why I haven't placed an order with them
in three or four years.