PDA

View Full Version : lures for catfish

Ixylmic
June 3rd, 2004, 03:09 PM
I usually fish with live bait (nightcrawlers, grubs, catalpa worms). I
have used different flavored dough (blood, cheese, etc.) and liver.
I was wondering is there were any lures that were any good for catfish.
I've never tried using lures or soft plastics.
Any info would be appreciated.

Rodney
June 3rd, 2004, 06:48 PM
Ixylmic wrote:
> I usually fish with live bait (nightcrawlers, grubs, catalpa worms). I
> have used different flavored dough (blood, cheese, etc.) and liver.
> I was wondering is there were any lures that were any good for catfish.
> I've never tried using lures or soft plastics.
> Any info would be appreciated.

I have caught many cats on lures,, but not when I was targeting that
species, the cat I'm holding on the top of my home page was caught on a
soft plastic minnow lure I was wiggling.

I think many lures could be more effective catching cats,, if they were
scented properly,, most cats are caught in waters with limited
visibility, cats feed more with their nose than with their sight, I
Think their sight is limited compared to fish that feed with sight
primarily.

Your high percentage of catching will be using standard baits over lures
every time,, stick to what works "most" not with what can work "sometimes"

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

richard
June 10th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Lures do work from time to time for cat's.Jig's being the most productive
for the obvious reason's..
But the truth is they're not an effective tool for targeting cat's.Bait will
be your most effective tool for cat's.& the bait's you'll use depends on
which cat's your targeting.If you're targeting a meal & small to average
sized channels..then worms,liver's commercial baits can be your ticket.But
if you're after the increasingly popular trophy cat's.then your baits will
be either live bait's or fresh
cutbait.Shad's,Panfish,Crayfish,Sucker's,Bullheads & even Goldfish can
produce some of your best action..Just make sure you research the legalities
in your state on the use of other fish as bait...Some states don't allow you
to use bluegills as bait...Some will but the regulations are strict in doing
so...Contact Tiny & catfishing.tv or Tim Scott @ procats.com