PDA

View Full Version : Float fishing for smallmouth.

CR
September 19th, 2003, 04:07 PM
I have another question about stream smallmouths. I'm fishing in a
canoe, floating down a small stream. What is the best way to present
the lure? I'm going to assume the 2 best spots are the head and tails
of deeper pools. Let's suppose for example I'm floating slowly along a
pool and there's some faster moving water (ripples) ahead. I want to
fish the pool just upstream from the ripples. Should I fish that spot
by casting downstream? Or wait until I go throught the ripples and
cast upstream? When you find a spot like this do you ever pull the
canoe over? Anchor it? When you are just slowly drifting in a pool is
it better to cast upstream, downstream or across?

Thanks!

Chuck.

Bob Rickard
September 19th, 2003, 07:27 PM
I like to cast 90 degrees to the bank and retrieve across the current.

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"CR" > wrote in message
om...
> I have another question about stream smallmouths. I'm fishing in a
> canoe, floating down a small stream. What is the best way to present
> the lure? I'm going to assume the 2 best spots are the head and tails
> of deeper pools. Let's suppose for example I'm floating slowly along a
> pool and there's some faster moving water (ripples) ahead. I want to
> fish the pool just upstream from the ripples. Should I fish that spot
> by casting downstream? Or wait until I go throught the ripples and
> cast upstream? When you find a spot like this do you ever pull the
> canoe over? Anchor it? When you are just slowly drifting in a pool is
> it better to cast upstream, downstream or across?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chuck.

Peter Charles
September 19th, 2003, 11:15 PM
On 19 Sep 2003 08:07:23 -0700, (CR) wrote:

>I have another question about stream smallmouths. I'm fishing in a
>canoe, floating down a small stream. What is the best way to present
>the lure? I'm going to assume the 2 best spots are the head and tails
>of deeper pools. Let's suppose for example I'm floating slowly along a
>pool and there's some faster moving water (ripples) ahead. I want to
>fish the pool just upstream from the ripples. Should I fish that spot
>by casting downstream? Or wait until I go throught the ripples and
>cast upstream? When you find a spot like this do you ever pull the
>canoe over? Anchor it? When you are just slowly drifting in a pool is
>it better to cast upstream, downstream or across?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Chuck.

I wade fish for smallmouth in streams and rivers so the problems are
the same as when fishing from a canoe. I'd suggest anchoring and
working the best features. Smallies like the current but they also
like protection from it. You can expect them to be located around
boulders, rocky ledges, gravel bars, logs -- anything that enables
them to hold near current yet not be in it. Don't overlook the
shallows and slack water in fading light.

When casting to boulders, cast in front as well as behind as in front
of every boulder on each side, is an area of slack current that allows
a fish to sit comfortably without effort. When there is a high sun,
some wind, a bright overcast, or a surface chop, work deeper but when
the sun and wind drops, they'll be quite prepared to lift out of their
lies and take a surface or shallow presentation.

If you have a decent current to work with, let it swing your lure/fly
around, adding some action on the swing. I've found that when
smallies are hanging deep, they need a presentation that puts the
lure/fly almost in the faces -- they won't chase far. For me, slower,
quieter presentations have always worked better than loud and fast
ones. I'll move surface poppers at a slow rate, just enough to move
water and create a wake. I've rarely taken a smallie when popping it
loudly.

Large fish will always sit in the best lies which at midday usually
means the deepest spot, with the best cover, closest to the main
current. Smaller fish will be arrayed around the better areas so if
you work the riffles at midday, you're likely to pick up only dinks.
This changes under low light as the bigger fish will feel confident to
move out from their holding lies.

HTH

Peter

Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Richard Liebert
September 20th, 2003, 01:00 AM
It's true that Smallies like the obvious places behind rocks, but you just
cannot see everywhere under the water. Of course SM seem to always be
looking upstream in the rapids. However, I have hooked many trophy (over
15") SM in places I would never imagine such as what appeared to be the calm
before the rapids (mostly North Fork, Susquehanna River, PA). Fish all the
obvious spots and you will hook many aggressive fish, but remember to keep
casting in between the "good" spots.

"Peter Charles" > wrote in message
> On 19 Sep 2003 08:07:23 -0700, (CR) wrote:
>
> >I have another question about stream smallmouths. I'm fishing in a
> >canoe, floating down a small stream. What is the best way to present
> >the lure? I'm going to assume the 2 best spots are the head and tails
> >of deeper pools. Let's suppose for example I'm floating slowly along a
> >pool and there's some faster moving water (ripples) ahead. I want to
> >fish the pool just upstream from the ripples. Should I fish that spot
> >by casting downstream? Or wait until I go throught the ripples and
> >cast upstream? When you find a spot like this do you ever pull the
> >canoe over? Anchor it? When you are just slowly drifting in a pool is
> >it better to cast upstream, downstream or across?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Chuck.
>

> I wade fish for smallmouth in streams and rivers so the problems are
> the same as when fishing from a canoe. I'd suggest anchoring and
> working the best features. Smallies like the current but they also
> like protection from it. You can expect them to be located around
> boulders, rocky ledges, gravel bars, logs -- anything that enables
> them to hold near current yet not be in it. Don't overlook the
> shallows and slack water in fading light.
>
> When casting to boulders, cast in front as well as behind as in front
> of every boulder on each side, is an area of slack current that allows
> a fish to sit comfortably without effort. When there is a high sun,
> some wind, a bright overcast, or a surface chop, work deeper but when
> the sun and wind drops, they'll be quite prepared to lift out of their
> lies and take a surface or shallow presentation.
>
> If you have a decent current to work with, let it swing your lure/fly
> around, adding some action on the swing. I've found that when
> smallies are hanging deep, they need a presentation that puts the
> lure/fly almost in the faces -- they won't chase far. For me, slower,
> quieter presentations have always worked better than loud and fast
> ones. I'll move surface poppers at a slow rate, just enough to move
> water and create a wake. I've rarely taken a smallie when popping it
> loudly.
>
> Large fish will always sit in the best lies which at midday usually
> means the deepest spot, with the best cover, closest to the main
> current. Smaller fish will be arrayed around the better areas so if
> you work the riffles at midday, you're likely to pick up only dinks.
> This changes under low light as the bigger fish will feel confident to
> move out from their holding lies.
>
> HTH
>

> Peter
>
> Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
> http://www.easternclave.ca
>
> Visit The Streamer Page at
http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Peter Charles
September 20th, 2003, 01:05 AM
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:00:22 -0400, "Richard Liebert"
> wrote:

>It's true that Smallies like the obvious places behind rocks, but you just
>cannot see everywhere under the water. Of course SM seem to always be
>looking upstream in the rapids. However, I have hooked many trophy (over
>15") SM in places I would never imagine such as what appeared to be the calm
>before the rapids (mostly North Fork, Susquehanna River, PA). Fish all the
>obvious spots and you will hook many aggressive fish, but remember to keep
>casting in between the "good" spots.

The slow, funnel shaped currents in front of riffles are great places
to fish, especially if they are adjacent to deeper water. The flow of
water directs food toward the fish, they don't have to expend much
energy holding position, and they can quickly flee when threatened.

My last trip to the Mattawa river was classic smallie fishing. I
worked my way up and down the bank casting to likely spots. Wherever
I casted over a featureless area of river I picked up nothing -- as
soon as I casted over structure, I was into fish. Of course, if the
bottom features are unknown, it makes things tougher.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Shawn
September 20th, 2003, 01:58 PM
"CR" wrote...
> I have another question about stream smallmouths. I'm fishing in a
> canoe, floating down a small stream. What is the best way to present
> the lure? I'm going to assume the 2 best spots are the head and tails
> of deeper pools.

** Yes. As others have already replied, these are classic locations and
should not be ignored. Fish will hold within the pools for various reasons
and, depending upon the current, may hold at various positions.

> Let's suppose for example I'm floating slowly along a
> pool and there's some faster moving water (ripples) ahead. I want to
> fish the pool just upstream from the ripples. Should I fish that spot
> by casting downstream? Or wait until I go throught the ripples and
> cast upstream?

** Both. The element of surprise is greatly reduced in small streams, so
casting where you haven't already been detected is, IMO, the first approach
to the spot. But don't limit yourself to fishing only the pools. Those
ripples you speak of, which are called runs, can hold monster fish. Cast to
the tail of the run and work the lure back. A soft plastic jerk skittered
along the surface has netted me a few over 17".

> When you find a spot like this do you ever pull the
> canoe over? Anchor it?

** All the time. Sometimes it only takes a leg overboard to hold position,
sometimes I drop a small (folding) river anchor and wade around.

> When you are just slowly drifting in a pool is
> it better to cast upstream, downstream or across?

*** All of the above. I'll have two rods rigged when on the crick; one for
surface presenations, one for bottom presentations. If they're bottom
feeding then a 1/8 jig (or Slider) can present a grub, plastic minnow or
craw dad. If they're looking up then the Baby Slug Go is put into action.

The first approach should be to cast the top water to the preceding run (as
mentioned above) to see if anybody's guarding the front door. Once you enter
the pool pull over, and cast up into the run again, this time drifting the
top water into the pool (to see if anyone's behind the front door). With
it's slower rate of fall you may attract fish holding in slack water,
looking up to feed. Repeat this process with the jig, bouncing it along the
rocks into the pool, letting the current do most of the work for you, 'cause
they may be looking down to feed.

Work the slack, deep pool (the living room) from as many angles as your
heart desires. You never know how they may be positioned in this location.
Before you exit the pool cast to the exit run (back door) with the top
water.

> Thanks!
>
> Chuck.

Any time,
Shawn

CR
September 20th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Peter Charles > wrote in message

> I wade fish for smallmouth in streams and rivers so the problems are
> the same as when fishing from a canoe. I'd suggest anchoring and
> working the best features. Smallies like the current but they also
> like protection from it. You can expect them to be located around
> boulders, rocky ledges, gravel bars, logs -- anything that enables
> them to hold near current yet not be in it. Don't overlook the
> shallows and slack water in fading light.

Damn. I'm afraid I may need some waders. I'll bet if I had a pair of
waders and a canoe I could really cover some ground.

Bill Kiene
September 20th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Hi Chuck,

I think that casting from the canoe is fun but anchoring or parking and
getting out wading could be effective. While you are moving in the canoe,
you might want to cast downstream and across to structure so the fish has
not already seen you coming. This is the way we fish stripers in clear
rivers.

I floated the lower Umpqua River one year in Oregon with a guide is a drift
boat. It is one of the most famous smallmouth rivers on the west coast. It
is a good size river so as we floated, we cast across the slow current to
big rock structures that were mostly under water and the fish seemed to be
hanging on them somewhere. I think they like to sit next to structure like
rocks and down trees.

I think smallmouth black bass are a top game fish especially in moving
water. I know I have not done enough of it yet.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"CR" > wrote in message
om...

> I have another question about stream smallmouths. I'm fishing in a
> canoe, floating down a small stream. What is the best way to present
> the lure? I'm going to assume the 2 best spots are the head and tails
> of deeper pools. Let's suppose for example I'm floating slowly along a
> pool and there's some faster moving water (ripples) ahead. I want to
> fish the pool just upstream from the ripples. Should I fish that spot
> by casting downstream? Or wait until I go throught the ripples and
> cast upstream? When you find a spot like this do you ever pull the
> canoe over? Anchor it? When you are just slowly drifting in a pool is
> it better to cast upstream, downstream or across?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chuck.

CR
September 21st, 2003, 02:52 PM
"Bill Kiene" > wrote in message >...
> Hi Chuck,
>
> I think that casting from the canoe is fun but anchoring or parking and
> getting out wading could be effective. While you are moving in the canoe,
> you might want to cast downstream and across to structure so the fish has
> not already seen you coming. This is the way we fish stripers in clear
> rivers.

I went wading yesterday in a stream near my house. Wading definitely
has it's advantages. The problem I found was running out of territory.
I fished the good holes but the water is way down and there are a lot
of really long shallow flats that I had to walk past to get to the
next spot. I want to try floating in the canoe and getting out when I
pass over a good spot and working it upstream. Instead of fishing 3
holes I could fish 20.

Dwayne E. Cooper
October 1st, 2003, 11:43 AM
On 20 Sep 2003 06:55:31 -0700, (CR) wrote:

>Damn. I'm afraid I may need some waders. I'll bet if I had a pair of
>waders and a canoe I could really cover some ground.

That's another neat thing about fishing small rivers from a
canoe. You can travel a lot of ground! While it all depends upon the
speed of the flow and how many stops you make (if any)...you can cover
over 20 miles in 6-8 hour's time by canoe.

Like Bob said, you rarely can go wrong fishing cross-current.
Try to position your canoe so it moves slower when you pass the better
looking fishing areas and be opportunistic...bc often you only get 1
or 2 shots are certain areas!

--
Dwayne E. Cooper, Atty at Law
Indianapolis, IN