PDA

View Full Version : chicken livers and kosher salt

steve sauchinitz
June 22nd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Has anyone ever tried putting kosher salt to chicken livers to toughen them
up. I've read this works on frozen clams and other baits. I fish alot on the
Choptank tributaries in Maryland with a flipping stick and a casting reel
and they drop off the hook when casting. Even the fresh livers are still too
soft to stay on the hook very well.

Stormy
June 22nd, 2004, 05:11 PM
"steve sauchinitz" > wrote in message
> Has anyone ever tried putting kosher salt to chicken livers to toughen them
> up. I've read this works on frozen clams and other baits. I fish alot on the
> Choptank tributaries in Maryland with a flipping stick and a casting reel
> and they drop off the hook when casting. Even the fresh livers are still too
> soft to stay on the hook very well.

I use a 12" long piece of dental floss (non flavored) and wrap it around the livers to
keep
them on the hook.

--
ken
remove pants to reply

Rodney
June 22nd, 2004, 08:23 PM
Stormy wrote:

> I use a 12" long piece of dental floss (non flavored) and wrap it around the livers to
> keep
> them on the hook.

I do the same thing with just red sewing thread,, cheaper than floss :-)

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Jerry
June 22nd, 2004, 08:49 PM
steve sauchinitz wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried putting kosher salt to chicken livers to toughen them
> up. I've read this works on frozen clams and other baits. I fish alot on the
> Choptank tributaries in Maryland with a flipping stick and a casting reel
> and they drop off the hook when casting. Even the fresh livers are still too
> soft to stay on the hook very well.

I don't use anything to tie the liver on my hooks, just run the hook
through the live a couple of times. I've tried tying them on with dental
floss, rubber bands and other things but just seem to do okay without
anything used. If you have to make long casts probable using panty hose
like you were making up egg sac's for salmon would be the way to go. The
trick is to just lob the thing out and don't try for distance. As for
the salt I think it is more the blood smell that attracts the cats and
anything that changes this would lose it's effectiveness.

Jerry

Steve Jensen
June 23rd, 2004, 04:58 PM
>I don't use anything to tie the liver on my hooks, just run the hook
>through the live a couple of times. I've tried tying them on with dental
>floss, rubber bands and other things but just seem to do okay without
>anything used. If you have to make long casts probable using panty hose
>like you were making up egg sac's for salmon would be the way to go. The
>trick is to just lob the thing out and don't try for distance. As for
>the salt I think it is more the blood smell that attracts the cats and
>anything that changes this would lose it's effectiveness.
>
>Jerry

I wrap any color thread on fresh chicken livers. Since I started
mixing chopped garlic in the liver container I've caught a lot more
small channels and striped bass.

Steve J.

Bob Reinkemeyer
June 23rd, 2004, 09:18 PM
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:58:44 -0400, steve sauchinitz wrote:

> Has anyone ever tried putting kosher salt to chicken livers to toughen them
> up. I've read this works on frozen clams and other baits. I fish alot on the
> Choptank tributaries in Maryland with a flipping stick and a casting reel
> and they drop off the hook when casting. Even the fresh livers are still too
> soft to stay on the hook very well.

I've done this with beef liver to use on trotlines and juglines. It works
ok, but fresh works better.

Bigbob

Garrison Hilliard
June 24th, 2004, 06:33 PM
"steve sauchinitz" > wrote:
>Has anyone ever tried putting kosher salt to chicken livers to toughen them
>up. I've read this works on frozen clams and other baits.

Does it have to be kosher salt? Wouldn't that be better for catching gefiltefish? ;-)

Travis Norris
July 4th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Hi,

I had often put clams and chicken livers in a
brine solution to toughen them up and then put
a thred around the bait to hold it. I myself had
never heard of kosher salt. I always thought that salt is salt.

Travor

HOMER
July 25th, 2004, 04:41 AM
(Travis Norris) wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> I had often put clams and chicken livers in a
> brine solution to toughen them up and then put
> a thred around the bait to hold it. I myself had
> never heard of kosher salt. I always thought that salt is salt.
>
> Travor

RODNEY I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST ON YOUR RED DENTAL FLOSS. IN
2001 WHEN I WAS I HOUSTON FOR 3 MONTHS AND GOING TO THE COAST. I JUST
DID NOT WANT TO SPEND $2 ON THE RIG THE LOCALS USED WITH THE RED BEADS
ON IT. SO INVESTED $1 IN A ROLL OF RED TAPE AND PUT A 1 INCH PIECE
ABOVE THE HOOK. WORKED WELL. MOST TIMES I WAS CATCHING MORE FISH
THAT THE LOCALS WERE. MOST OF THEM HAVE NEVER FIGURED OUT THAT MOST
OF THE TIMES WHEN A FISH HITS A BIG PIECE OF SHRIMP THAT MOST TIMES
THEY MISS THE HOOK. BETWEEN THE RED TAPE, SMALL RAZOR SHARP HOOKS AND
A PIECE OF SHRIMP THAT WAS ABOUT 1/5 OF WHAT EVERYONE ELSE USED WAS
THE SECRET. THERE IS SOMETHING TO USING RED AROUND THE HOOK.

Rodney
July 25th, 2004, 08:26 PM
HOMER wrote:

> RODNEY I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST ON YOUR RED DENTAL FLOSS.

yOU WANT TO "post" IT ? WHAT FOR ???????

I now use Bleeding hooks,, and when I use liver I just "wrap" 10 to 12
inches of red thread around it to hold the liver on

HOMER wrote:

> RODNEY I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST ON YOUR RED DENTAL FLOSS.

yOU WANT TO "post" IT ? WHAT FOR ???????

I now use Bleeding hooks,, and when I use liver I just "wrap" 10 to 12
inches of red thread around it to hold the liver on

IN
> 2001 WHEN I WAS I HOUSTON FOR 3 MONTHS AND GOING TO THE COAST. I JUST
> DID NOT WANT TO SPEND $2 ON THE RIG THE LOCALS USED WITH THE RED BEADS
> ON IT. SO INVESTED $1 IN A ROLL OF RED TAPE AND PUT A 1 INCH PIECE
> ABOVE THE HOOK. WORKED WELL. MOST TIMES I WAS CATCHING MORE FISH
> THAT THE LOCALS WERE. MOST OF THEM HAVE NEVER FIGURED OUT THAT MOST
> OF THE TIMES WHEN A FISH HITS A BIG PIECE OF SHRIMP THAT MOST TIMES
> THEY MISS THE HOOK. BETWEEN THE RED TAPE, SMALL RAZOR SHARP HOOKS AND
> A PIECE OF SHRIMP THAT WAS ABOUT 1/5 OF WHAT EVERYONE ELSE USED WAS
> THE SECRET. THERE IS SOMETHING TO USING RED AROUND THE HOOK.

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Harleydave Dyna
August 7th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Lordy Rod,ol BB don't understand a lot!? He was fishin the coast while
his Wife was dying of cancer in Houston. PLEASE!!! Just fyi--the cattin
here in Tx. is super Duper. This Fall--will be fantastic! Most lakes are
full or above. Lavon-Joe Poole-SS and Winnsbora are hot. Guess who?