PDA

View Full Version : Loading new line

Mike Keown
October 20th, 2003, 03:28 AM
I am getting back into spin fishing after a
decade of absence. I want to put new line
on my reel. I seem to recall that there is
special consideration to be taken when this
is done. My reel's (a old but quiet good Mitchell
Garcia) retrieval spool rotates clockwise; for
some reason my memory tells me that means
the new line must come off the spool counter
clockwise to avoid line twist. Is this correct?
What about tension as the line is brought in to
avoid 'spooling' ?This will be for
freshwater fishing with lines less than 10 lbs test.
Any help or tips and technique will be greatly appreciated. Mike

RGarri7470
October 21st, 2003, 03:12 AM
>My reel's (a old but quiet good Mitchell
>Garcia) retrieval spool rotates clockwise; for
>some reason my memory tells me that means
>the new line must come off the spool counter

I responed on ROFB too. The spool on your mitchell won't rotate, the bail will.
You should lay the filler spool flat on the floor and let the line come off it
sideways, in the same direction as it goes onto the spool on the reel. I have
very specific instructions for all kinds of reels on my site.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

mgold
October 21st, 2003, 04:00 PM
while this topic is still up, i have a question as well:

i know you need to soak monofilament in water before loading, but
do you need to do the same with PowerPro?

Basspro*
October 21st, 2003, 08:53 PM

> i know you need to soak monofilament in water before loading...

Really? I've never ever heard of this before and I've been fishing for
many years (fresh and sal****er). Can anyone else verify which is
correct? Dry or wet?

mgold
October 21st, 2003, 09:50 PM
Basspro* wrote:

> Really? I've never ever heard of this before and I've been fishing for
> many years (fresh and sal****er). Can anyone else verify which is
> correct? Dry or wet?

i've seen two books that suggest soaking it, though they don't agree on
time. one book suggests just an hour, the other suggests 24. soaking
does seem to help reduce, if not totally eliminate, the line's memory
off the spool.

RR
October 22nd, 2003, 04:13 AM
a shot of reel magic does the same thing...

"mgold" > wrote in message
> Basspro* wrote:
>
> > Really? I've never ever heard of this before and I've been fishing for
> > many years (fresh and sal****er). Can anyone else verify which is
> > correct? Dry or wet?
>
> i've seen two books that suggest soaking it, though they don't agree on
> time. one book suggests just an hour, the other suggests 24. soaking
> does seem to help reduce, if not totally eliminate, the line's memory
> off the spool.

October 22nd, 2003, 02:35 PM
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:00:26 GMT, mgold > wrote:

>while this topic is still up, i have a question as well:
>
>i know you need to soak monofilament in water before loading, but
>do you need to do the same with PowerPro?

No, Power Pro does not have the memory that mono has.

Also, the water soak trick works AFTER the line has been spooled on
the reel, not before.

What I have found (and what has been published in In-Fish many years
ago...) is that if you are putting the new line on a spinning reel
(where most of the problem occur) you should keep the supply spool
perpendicular to to the axis of the spinning reel spool. In other
words, you would have the supply spool in the same position as if you
were installing line on a baitcaster.

That bit about laying the spool on the floor and having the line come
off the same direction as it's being wound on is a bunch of hooey.
The only way that works is to wind on a few yards then flip the supply
spool, wind on a few more, then flip again. Do this until you fill the
reel spool. It works about the same as what I suggest above.

Jay

RGarri7470
October 22nd, 2003, 02:54 PM
>That bit about laying the spool on the floor and having the line come
>off the same direction as it's being wound on is a bunch of hooey.

I have been doing that for a few years - about 30 - and it works for me. Use
whatever works for you.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

mgold
October 22nd, 2003, 04:16 PM
just wanna say thanks to y'all for the powerpro tips. very helpful
indeed, as were the mono loading tips!

Mike Keown
October 26th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Sorry, I've been so late getting back(been fishing)
but want to thank all of the contributors to this tread.
I used Ronnie's method to respool my Mitchell/Garcia
and so far it seems to be working fine but will use
the other method(s) with an new spinning reel (Shimano)
that I bought during a winter close out sale. In closing
I will say that intially that I put too much line on the spool
in the beginning and this caused some minor problems
that were quickly overcome. Thanks Again and Have
a Good Day on the Water.
Mike

RGarri7470
October 27th, 2003, 12:35 PM
> used Ronnie's method to respool my Mitchell/Garcia
>and so far it seems to be working fine

Glad it worked for you. Just remember, if you reel while a fish is pulling drag
it will twist your line on a spinning reel, and many lures will twist it. The
best way to straighten it is to drag it behind the boat with no lure - just let
the line out and idle for a few hundred feet, then wind in slowly. You can do
the same thing by tying a good swivel to the line, hook it to something and
back off, letting line out. Pull it tight and slowly wind in line while walking
toward the swivel.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com