PDA

View Full Version : fly tying books

hermit
March 4th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Hi -

I am a beginner fly tyer, but longtime fly fisher.

I am interested in purchasing a fly tying book that starts with the
basics, that includes recipes, and step by step instructions. Sure
would appreciate any recommendations from those more knowledgeable
than I.

Thanks,

Dick Williams

Hooked
March 4th, 2004, 09:50 AM
"hermit" > wrote in message

> Hi -
>
> I am a beginner fly tyer, but longtime fly fisher.
>
> I am interested in purchasing a fly tying book that starts with the
> basics, that includes recipes, and step by step instructions. Sure
> would appreciate any recommendations from those more knowledgeable
> than I.

If you post this question to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying otherwise known
as r.o.f.f.t. you'll get a helluva lot of replies, but...

The book I learned to tie from is "The Fly Tyer's Primer" by Richard (Dick)
Talleur.

It will introduce you to the most common tools used, several tying methods,
and will take you through several patterns (complete with step by step
instructions) to help you get started.

And since you're obviously connected to the www, here's a web site that will
also help you out: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/

jim
April 7th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Try A. K. Best's book Production fly tying, 2nd edition. It is a little on
the advanced side, but i'm sure you can handle it. He has wonderful advice
that saved me a LOT of time. There's a good review of the book at
http://www.waywardflyfishing.com/books.htm

Hope this helps,

"hermit" > wrote in message

> Hi -
>
> I am a beginner fly tyer, but longtime fly fisher.
>
> I am interested in purchasing a fly tying book that starts with the
> basics, that includes recipes, and step by step instructions. Sure
> would appreciate any recommendations from those more knowledgeable
> than I.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dick Williams

Del
April 9th, 2004, 12:57 PM
"hermit" > wrote in message

> Hi -
>
> I am a beginner fly tyer, but longtime fly fisher.
>
> I am interested in purchasing a fly tying book that starts with the
> basics, that includes recipes, and step by step instructions. Sure
> would appreciate any recommendations from those more knowledgeable
> than I.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dick Williams
Its been a long time since I tied my first fly and I don't remember
which guides I started with but you cannot go far wrong with
John Veniards "Fly Dressers Guide" Amazon list it at £21
around $40 a weighty book with step
by steps, material guides and enough dressings to keep you busy
for at least 30 years also worth seeking out are the several
Dick Walkers fly dressing books just for the special purpose
flies alone drop me an email if you wish I'd be interested to see
how you get on
Derek
remove spam reference to mail

---

Kathy B
April 21st, 2004, 03:50 AM
"Del" <takeout the > wrote in message >...
> "hermit" > wrote in message
> >
> > Hi -
> >
> > I am a beginner fly tyer, but longtime fly fisher.
> >
> > I am interested in purchasing a fly tying book that starts with the
> > basics, that includes recipes, and step by step instructions. Sure
> > would appreciate any recommendations from those more knowledgeable
> > than I.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dick Williams
> Its been a long time since I tied my first fly and I don't remember
> which guides I started with but you cannot go far wrong with
> John Veniards "Fly Dressers Guide" Amazon list it at £21
> around $40 a weighty book with step
> by steps, material guides and enough dressings to keep you busy
> for at least 30 years also worth seeking out are the several
> Dick Walkers fly dressing books just for the special purpose
> flies alone drop me an email if you wish I'd be interested to see
> how you get on
> Derek
> remove spam reference to mail
>

> ---
Hi,
I found the internet to be very useful when learning how to tie flies.
They had some very useful, colorful, and very descriptive flies. Good
luck.
KB