PDA

View Full Version : Hydration Packs

Hooked
March 27th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Has anybody purchased any of those hydration packs? I've been thinking of
buying one for when I go wading. Too many times I've found myself out in the
river on a hot day and almost resorted to drinking unfiltered river water.
Not going to let that happen again. I've been thinking of buying one of the
Camelback products (
http://www.camelbak.com/rec/cb_prod.cfm?catid=6&product_id=165 ) until I
seen a pack offered by Orvis (
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=28R8aC&feature_id=&dir_id=758&group_id=781&cat_id=548&subcat_id=1&shop_id= )
that includes a hydration system.

If you have one of these products (hydration packs) please reply here with
your likes and dislikes. You can include the brand if you wish.

Charlie Choc
March 27th, 2004, 01:00 PM
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 06:44:20 GMT, "Hooked" > wrote:

>Has anybody purchased any of those hydration packs?

I have a couple of Camelbaks, a Classic that I can wear under my fly
vest, and a HAWG if I want to carry more water in a small daypack
configuration. I like them both.
--
Charlie...

flyline
March 27th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Instead of buying a pack, I bought a bladder with hose and mouthpiece that
was designd for placement in a bicycle hydration pack. I fill the bladder
and place it in one of the two rear pockets in my vest. Cheaper than a
pack. less to wear and carry, and it is just as effective as a Camelback.

--
flyline

"Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and Play consists of
whatever a body is not obliged to do." - Mark Twain

"Charlie Choc" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 06:44:20 GMT, "Hooked" > wrote:
>
> >Has anybody purchased any of those hydration packs?
>
> I have a couple of Camelbaks, a Classic that I can wear under my fly
> vest, and a HAWG if I want to carry more water in a small daypack
> configuration. I like them both.
> --
> Charlie...

Charlie Choc
March 27th, 2004, 06:42 PM
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:28:50 GMT, "flyline" > wrote:

> I fill the bladder
>and place it in one of the two rear pockets in my vest. Cheaper than a
>pack. less to wear and carry, and it is just as effective as a Camelback.

Maybe so, but I find the Camelbak more comfortable than the extra
weight in my vest and it doesn't shift around when I'm climbing over
rocks. I also use the Camelbak flats fishing where I'm not wearing a
vest. FWIW
--
Charlie...

Hooked
March 28th, 2004, 02:14 AM
"flyline" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> Instead of buying a pack, I bought a bladder with hose and mouthpiece that
> was designd for placement in a bicycle hydration pack. I fill the bladder
> and place it in one of the two rear pockets in my vest. Cheaper than a
> pack. less to wear and carry, and it is just as effective as a Camelback.

You might have a good idea here, but I really wanted to get away from the
vest thing. The pack at Orvis has pouches attached that could hold a days
supplies and more, and that's why I was interested in that particular item.
After checking it out today, I'm going to stick with the Camelback and
venture into a chest pack.

As far as those bladders being cheaper than a pack, I checked the prices of
the packs, about $40, and the replacement bladders, about $30. Prices
dependant on size. So you really only saved about $10.

Hooked
March 28th, 2004, 02:23 AM
"Charlie Choc" > wrote in message

> I have a couple of Camelbaks, a Classic that I can wear under my fly
> vest, and a HAWG if I want to carry more water in a small daypack
> configuration. I like them both.

I went to an Orvis store today to check out the one they have. Glad I didn't
buy it online like I was tempted to. It's a nice idea, but it needs work.
The bladder is a cheap plastic type bag with a zip-lock type seal which
really seems cheap. The guy at the store was going to give me 25% off, but
that wouldn't cover the cost of buying a good bladder from Camelback and
swapping them out.

The shoulder pads kept sliding down the straps just while I was in the store
trying the thing out to see how comfortable it was. I can't imagine how
they would slide down with the front packs full of gear. A few stitches with
heavy mono could have kept them in place. Maybe Orvis will read this and fix
that problem. :-)

I guess if someone did a lot of hiking several miles back into the woods to
fish for a day, this could be a nice item, but I usually fish within eye
sight of, or a short hike from the truck.

I'm going to buy the Camelback and use my vest until I can get a chest
pack.

flyline
March 29th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Hooked, your pricing is puzzling. I paid $10.00 for the bladder at
Sportmart. I have a Simms Guide Vest which has a shallow upper rear pocket
that rides near the shoulders. I found that on a hot summer's day, the full
bladder actually has a cooling effect and, since it much more pliable than
the pack, forms to the body and, thus, stays completely hidden and out of
the way from hooks, backcasts, branches, etc.

--

"Hooked" > wrote in message
> "Charlie Choc" > wrote in
message

> > I have a couple of Camelbaks, a Classic that I can wear under my fly
> > vest, and a HAWG if I want to carry more water in a small daypack
> > configuration. I like them both.
>

> I went to an Orvis store today to check out the one they have. Glad I
didn't
> buy it online like I was tempted to. It's a nice idea, but it needs work.
> The bladder is a cheap plastic type bag with a zip-lock type seal which
> really seems cheap. The guy at the store was going to give me 25% off, but
> that wouldn't cover the cost of buying a good bladder from Camelback and
> swapping them out.
>
> The shoulder pads kept sliding down the straps just while I was in the
store
> trying the thing out to see how comfortable it was. I can't imagine how
> they would slide down with the front packs full of gear. A few stitches
with
> heavy mono could have kept them in place. Maybe Orvis will read this and
fix
> that problem. :-)
>
> I guess if someone did a lot of hiking several miles back into the woods
> fish for a day, this could be a nice item, but I usually fish within eye
> sight of, or a short hike from the truck.
>
> I'm going to buy the Camelback and use my vest until I can get a chest
> pack.

Hooked
March 29th, 2004, 01:38 AM
"flyline" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hooked, your pricing is puzzling. I paid $10.00 for the bladder at
> Sportmart. I have a Simms Guide Vest which has a shallow upper rear
pocket
> that rides near the shoulders. I found that on a hot summer's day, the
full
> bladder actually has a cooling effect and, since it much more pliable than
> the pack, forms to the body and, thus, stays completely hidden and out of
> the way from hooks, backcasts, branches, etc.

At the local Gander Mountain Store, the 70 oz. pack costs $39.99 and the
replacement 70 oz. reservoir was $27.99.

I don't know what brand you bought, but these are the "Camelbak" products.

The Camelbak website lists the MSRP for the complete pack at $40 and the
reservoir at $28. You can check that info for yourself here:
http://www.camelbak.com/rec/cb_prod.cfm?catid=6&product_id=166
and here: http://www.camelbak.com/rec/acc_reserv.cfm

Unless you are referring to that cheap Orvis pack.

flyline
March 30th, 2004, 03:58 AM
How about $7.95 for a Platypus hydration bag? See
http://www.mountainsports.com/mssearch.asp?Option=Detail&Detail=087072

--

"Hooked" > wrote in message
> "flyline" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > Hooked, your pricing is puzzling. I paid $10.00 for the bladder at
> > Sportmart. I have a Simms Guide Vest which has a shallow upper rear
> pocket
> > that rides near the shoulders. I found that on a hot summer's day, the
> full
> > bladder actually has a cooling effect and, since it much more pliable
than
> > the pack, forms to the body and, thus, stays completely hidden and out
of
> > the way from hooks, backcasts, branches, etc.
>

> At the local Gander Mountain Store, the 70 oz. pack costs $39.99 and the
> replacement 70 oz. reservoir was $27.99.
>
> I don't know what brand you bought, but these are the "Camelbak" products.
>
> The Camelbak website lists the MSRP for the complete pack at $40 and the
> reservoir at $28. You can check that info for yourself here:
> http://www.camelbak.com/rec/cb_prod.cfm?catid=6&product_id=166
> and here: http://www.camelbak.com/rec/acc_reserv.cfm
>
> Unless you are referring to that cheap Orvis pack.

flyline
March 30th, 2004, 03:59 AM
With bite hose $16.95

--

"Hooked" > wrote in message
> "flyline" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > Hooked, your pricing is puzzling. I paid $10.00 for the bladder at
> > Sportmart. I have a Simms Guide Vest which has a shallow upper rear
> pocket
> > that rides near the shoulders. I found that on a hot summer's day, the
> full
> > bladder actually has a cooling effect and, since it much more pliable
than
> > the pack, forms to the body and, thus, stays completely hidden and out
of
> > the way from hooks, backcasts, branches, etc.
>

> At the local Gander Mountain Store, the 70 oz. pack costs $39.99 and the
> replacement 70 oz. reservoir was $27.99.
>
> I don't know what brand you bought, but these are the "Camelbak" products.
>
> The Camelbak website lists the MSRP for the complete pack at $40 and the
> reservoir at $28. You can check that info for yourself here:
> http://www.camelbak.com/rec/cb_prod.cfm?catid=6&product_id=166
> and here: http://www.camelbak.com/rec/acc_reserv.cfm
>
> Unless you are referring to that cheap Orvis pack.

Hooked
March 30th, 2004, 07:31 AM
"flyline" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> How about $7.95 for a Platypus hydration bag? See
> http://www.mountainsports.com/mssearch.asp?Option=Detail&Detail=087072

Since I can't see what type of seal that bag has, I'll pass. The Orvis
reservoir had a Ziploc seal. Like those can really be trusted to hold water.
A guy at work was mentioning the Platypus bags today. I think he said that
they have that same goofy Ziploc seal. No thanks. The Camelbak has a screw
on type seal, which I think is less likely to leak.

If that Platypus bag has a Ziploc seal, I guess you get what you pay for.
Hope ya don't get all wet.

Charlie Choc
March 30th, 2004, 10:43 AM
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 06:31:32 GMT, "Hooked" > wrote:

>If that Platypus bag has a Ziploc seal, I guess you get what you pay for.
>Hope ya don't get all wet.

Camelbaks have closed cell insulation that you won't get with a Ziploc
freezer bag in your fly vest. It's not like a cooler or anything, but
with a few ice cubes it will keep your water cool for a decent amount
of time. Sometimes I fill the reservoir and freeze it for real hot
days and the insulation makes it comfortable to wear. FWIW
--
Charlie...

Hooked
March 31st, 2004, 07:47 AM
"Charlie Choc" > wrote in message

> Camelbaks have closed cell insulation that you won't get with a Ziploc
> freezer bag in your fly vest. It's not like a cooler or anything, but
> with a few ice cubes it will keep your water cool for a decent amount
> of time. Sometimes I fill the reservoir and freeze it for real hot
> days and the insulation makes it comfortable to wear. FWIW

Have you ever had a problem with leakage using that Camelbak?

Charlie Choc
March 31st, 2004, 11:09 AM
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:47:05 GMT, "Hooked" > wrote:

>Have you ever had a problem with leakage using that Camelbak?

No, nor have my sons with theirs.
--
Charlie...