PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!! Avoid TIE-FAST and ADG!!

Steve Sullivan
April 5th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Around November of 2003 Ron Lewis (owner of Sierra Stream and Mountain,
AKA TIE-FAST, who makes knot tiers and other tools) said that he had
waders that a customer ordered but never picked up. I tried them on.
The salesman, Lincoln Gray did have concerns about the waders being
tight in the stomach. AFTER the salesman voiced his concerns, I asked
the owner, Ron Lewis, if I should get special ordered waders. He said
the extra cost was a concern and that he recommended that I get the
Medium Kings that the customer did not pick up. THAT WAS RON LEWIS, THE
OWNER¹S RECOMMENDATION, I DID NOT INSIST ON GETTING THE MEDIUM KINGS!!.
These were adg waders that retail for $160.

In March of 2004, I talked to David Ahn, owner of ADG (the manufacturer
of the waders). I told them that the waders were leaking, and told him
my height, weight, and chest measurement.He said that it sounded like
the medium kings I got were too small, and that I needed custom fit
waders. He agreed sell those to me for $40. They said to get my
measurement following the directions on their website, and return the
waders to Ron Lewis, owner. David Ahn said he was going to call
immediately calling Ron Lewis. I later called David Ahn back, and he
told me that Ron had said that I insisted on getting the waders even tho
he suggested I not get them. He said that I would have to talk to Ron.
It was a blatant lie that I insisted on getting the waders, I
specifically asked Ron if I should get specially sized waders and he
said I should get the Medium kings (that he had because a customer
specially ordered but never picked up) because custom fitted waders were
much more expensive. Plus the leaks had little to do with the waders
being tight in the stomach, the leaks were all bellow the knee.

I then went to Sierra Stream and mountain (AKA tie-fast), and Lincoln
Grey told me that David Ahn of ADG had said under no circumstance would
ADG honor my warranty, and said that if I wanted the custom fit waders
that David Ahn had agreed to sell me for $40 I would have to pay $270).
He said they would try to see what they could do about the leaks. I
went home and got my waders and gave them to Lincoln. The next day Ron
lewis yelled at me and said I had abused the waders, since they had
holes in the bottom of the neoprene feet. He said that I must have been
walking around with my boots off, which is untrue.

Another fly fishing store in Chico is Fish First. They are a well
respected store in northern california. I told my story to the
manager, Will Turek, and showed him the waders. He said that I got a
³bum deal². He said that the holes were not caused by abuse, but
probably by either how I distribute my weight or gravel that naturally
gets into the boots. He said he had never heard of ADG, but if it had
been a manufacturer that he dealt with he would call them and see what
he could do. He suggested I call the better business bureau.

I have not gotten a response from ADG, and they are very difficult to
get a hold of by phone. They also never reply to emails. I have made a
complaint to the BBB about ADG and TIE-FAST (aka Sierra Stream and
Mountain, in Chico ca).

Scott Seidman
April 5th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Steve Sullivan > wrote in
:

> I then went to Sierra Stream and mountain (AKA tie-fast), and Lincoln
> Grey told me that David Ahn of ADG had said under no circumstance
> would ADG honor my warranty, and said that if I wanted the custom fit
> waders that David Ahn had agreed to sell me for $40 I would have to
> pay $270). He said they would try to see what they could do about the
> leaks. I went home and got my waders and gave them to Lincoln. The
> next day Ron lewis yelled at me and said I had abused the waders,
> since they had holes in the bottom of the neoprene feet. He said that
> I must have been walking around with my boots off, which is untrue.
>
> Another fly fishing store in Chico is Fish First. They are a well
> respected store in northern california. I told my story to the
> manager, Will Turek, and showed him the waders. He said that I got a
> "bum deal". He said that the holes were not caused by abuse, but
> probably by either how I distribute my weight or gravel that naturally
> gets into the boots. He said he had never heard of ADG, but if it
> had been a manufacturer that he dealt with he would call them and see
> what he could do. He suggested I call the better business bureau.

I'm really confused about how trying to trade in a pair of waders that
don't fit for custom-made waders is a warantee issue. Your problem
isn't with ADG.

Had you called ADG and told them that your feet wore out, instead of
complaining about getting a different custom size, you would have been
sent a pair of spanking new waders. You could have sold these, and used
the cash to get the custom waders you wanted.

You said in your original post that you got the waders in trade for some
work you did for the shop owner. Maybe the work was worth a pair of
waders he was stuck with, and not a custom made pair. Maybe you should
have gotten some other merchandise he had laying around, instead of
waders you didn't think fit.

Last but not least, if I were hoping to sell you your next pair of
waders, I would tell you what you want to hear, too.

Scott

Wolfgang
April 5th, 2004, 11:56 PM
"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...

> ....Last but not least, if I were hoping to sell you your next pair of
> waders, I would tell you what you want to hear, too.

Which is exactly why some of us have consciously chosen never to go into any
sort of retail business. :)

Wolfgang
oh? no? they don't fit that way? well, maybe if you tried jamming them up
yo.....um.....ahem....

Steve Sullivan
April 6th, 2004, 12:28 AM
In article >,
Scott Seidman > wrote:

> Steve Sullivan > wrote in
> :
>
> > I then went to Sierra Stream and mountain (AKA tie-fast), and Lincoln
> > Grey told me that David Ahn of ADG had said under no circumstance
> > would ADG honor my warranty, and said that if I wanted the custom fit
> > waders that David Ahn had agreed to sell me for $40 I would have to
> > pay $270). He said they would try to see what they could do about the
> > leaks. I went home and got my waders and gave them to Lincoln. The
> > next day Ron lewis yelled at me and said I had abused the waders,
> > since they had holes in the bottom of the neoprene feet. He said that
> > I must have been walking around with my boots off, which is untrue.
> >
> > Another fly fishing store in Chico is Fish First. They are a well
> > respected store in northern california. I told my story to the
> > manager, Will Turek, and showed him the waders. He said that I got a
> > "bum deal". He said that the holes were not caused by abuse, but
> > probably by either how I distribute my weight or gravel that naturally
> > gets into the boots. He said he had never heard of ADG, but if it
> > had been a manufacturer that he dealt with he would call them and see
> > what he could do. He suggested I call the better business bureau.
> >

> I'm really confused about how trying to trade in a pair of waders that
> don't fit for custom-made waders is a warantee issue. Your problem
> isn't with ADG.

I did not call them up trying to trade. I told them that the waders had
leaks. I also asked them about the size difference between medium kings
and large kings. These waders have a 5 year warranty, I and I started
getting leaks after less than 5 months.

> Had you called ADG and told them that your feet wore out, instead of
> complaining about getting a different custom size, you would have been
> sent a pair of spanking new waders. You could have sold these, and used
> the cash to get the custom waders you wanted.

You are incorrect about the circumstances

> You said in your original post that you got the waders in trade for some
> work you did for the shop owner. Maybe the work was worth a pair of
> waders he was stuck with, and not a custom made pair.

And no where did I say it was. I called adg, told them my waders had
leaks in them. I asked them the size difference between MK and LK, and
gave them my dimensions. They said a custom sized wader would be more
appropriate. They said to return the waders to Ron and that their would
be a $40 charge for the price difference.

> Maybe you should
> have gotten some other merchandise he had laying around, instead of
> waders you didn't think fit.

The problem with the leaks was all bellow the waist.
Every comment you have made is false, are you a troll?

Steve Sullivan
April 6th, 2004, 12:38 AM
In article >,
Scott Seidman > wrote:

> I'm really confused about how trying to trade in a pair of waders that
> don't fit for custom-made waders is a warantee issue. Your problem
> isn't with ADG.
>
> Had you called ADG and told them that your feet wore out, instead of
> complaining about getting a different custom size, you would have been
> sent a pair of spanking new waders. You could have sold these, and used
> the cash to get the custom waders you wanted.

You obviously are a troll. I looked back at my original message to make
sure I was clear and see I typed this:

"In March of 2004, I talked to David Ahn, owner of ADG (the manufacturer
of the waders). I told them that the waders were leaking, and told him
my height, weight, and chest measurement.He said that it sounded like
the medium kings I got were too small, and that I needed custom fit
waders. He agreed sell those to me for $40."

I believe this fairly clearly shows everything you say is false.

Do you work for adg or tie fast?

Tim J.
April 6th, 2004, 12:57 AM
"Steve Sullivan" wrote...
> > Scott Seidman wrote:
>
> > I'm really confused about how trying to trade in a pair of waders that
> > don't fit for custom-made waders is a warantee issue. Your problem
> > isn't with ADG.
> >
> > Had you called ADG and told them that your feet wore out, instead of
> > complaining about getting a different custom size, you would have been
> > sent a pair of spanking new waders. You could have sold these, and used
> > the cash to get the custom waders you wanted.
>
> You obviously are a troll. I looked back at my original message to make
> sure I was clear and see I typed this:
>
> "In March of 2004, I talked to David Ahn, owner of ADG (the manufacturer
> of the waders). I told them that the waders were leaking, and told him
> my height, weight, and chest measurement.He said that it sounded like
> the medium kings I got were too small, and that I needed custom fit
> waders. He agreed sell those to me for $40."
>
> I believe this fairly clearly shows everything you say is false.
>
> Do you work for adg or tie fast?

Steve - take a deep breath and step AWAY from the keyboard.

You also said in your post, "I have made a complaint to the BBB about ADG and
TIE-FAST (aka Sierra Stream and Mountain, in Chico ca)." As Scott said, your
beef isn't with ADG, but with the store that allegedly forced you to buy the
incorrect size. My recommendation would be to forget about it, and never give
any of your money to that shop again. Make sure your next set of waders are nice
and loose, do some bending in them when you try them on, and go with a brand
like Simms or Orvis, although if you buy them too small you'll end up with the
same problem.

BTW, I wouldn't have thought about Scott's
"trade-them-for-the-wrong-size-and-sell-them" gambit, but I'm not a devious
asshole troll. :)
--
TL,
Tim

Steve Sullivan
April 6th, 2004, 02:33 AM
In article <%mmcc.80107$w54.446499@attbi_s01>,
"Tim J." > wrote:

> Steve - take a deep breath and step AWAY from the keyboard.
>
> You also said in your post, "I have made a complaint to the BBB about ADG and
> TIE-FAST (aka Sierra Stream and Mountain, in Chico ca)." As Scott said, your
> beef isn't with ADG, but with the store that allegedly forced you to buy the
> incorrect size.

Where did I alleged that the stored forced me to buy the incorrect size?
The problem is with the neoprene booties. The problem has nothing to do
with the waders being tight in the stomach. ADG rescinded my warranty
because TIE-FAST claimed I insisted on buying the waders.
A) tie-fast lied
B) the holes in the feet have nothing to do with the waders being tight
in the stomach.

This is entirely a warranty issue of waders less than 6 months old with
a 5 year warranty that has been voided by the manufacturer. If ADG had
said "ok, send in your waders and we will give you a new pair of the
same sized waders" I would not be unhappy. The fact that ADG rescinded
the warranty makes them a part of this. I sent them a email saying that
A) TIE-FAST did not tell the truth about my "insisting" on getting the
waders
B) the problems with the waders were all bellow the waist
C) I also gave them the name of the person at Fish First who looked at
the waders, and confirmed that it is a manufacturer issue.

> My recommendation would be to forget about it, and never give
> any of your money to that shop again. Make sure your next set of waders are
> nice
> and loose, do some bending in them when you try them on, and go with a brand
> like Simms or Orvis, although if you buy them too small you'll end up with
> the
> same problem.
>
> BTW, I wouldn't have thought about Scott's
> "trade-them-for-the-wrong-size-and-sell-them" gambit, but I'm not a devious
> asshole troll. :)

Wolfgang
April 6th, 2004, 02:44 AM
"Steve Sullivan" > wrote in message

> ...B) the problems with the waders were all bellow the waist...

Um.....pardon me, but one can hardly escape the conclusion that some of them
were actually above the neck.

Wolfgang
which, unless one walks with one's rear flippers skyward, is bound to cause
some serious warantee issues.

Tim J.
April 6th, 2004, 03:06 AM
"Steve Sullivan" wrote...
> "Tim J." wrote:
>
> > Steve - take a deep breath and step AWAY from the keyboard.
> >
> > You also said in your post, "I have made a complaint to the BBB about ADG
and
> > TIE-FAST (aka Sierra Stream and Mountain, in Chico ca)." As Scott said, your
> > beef isn't with ADG, but with the store that allegedly forced you to buy the
> > incorrect size.
>
> Where did I alleged that the stored forced me to buy the incorrect size?

Your words were, "The salesman, Lincoln Gray did have concerns about the waders
being tight in the stomach. AFTER the salesman voiced his concerns, I asked
the owner, Ron Lewis, if I should get special ordered waders. He said the extra
cost was a concern and that he recommended that I get the Medium Kings that the
customer did not pick up. THAT WAS RON LEWIS, THE OWNER¹S RECOMMENDATION, I DID
NOT INSIST ON GETTING THE MEDIUM KINGS!!" That indicates to me that you're
attempting to blame the store owner for the incorrect fit causing at least some
of the problem with the booties and not taking any of the blame yourself.
Otherwise, why would you have mentioned the "fit" issue?

> The problem is with the neoprene booties. The problem has nothing to do
> with the waders being tight in the stomach. ADG rescinded my warranty
> because TIE-FAST claimed I insisted on buying the waders.
> A) tie-fast lied
> B) the holes in the feet have nothing to do with the waders being tight
> in the stomach.
>
> This is entirely a warranty issue of waders less than 6 months old with
> a 5 year warranty that has been voided by the manufacturer. If ADG had
> said "ok, send in your waders and we will give you a new pair of the
> same sized waders" I would not be unhappy. The fact that ADG rescinded
> the warranty makes them a part of this. I sent them a email saying that
> A) TIE-FAST did not tell the truth about my "insisting" on getting the
> waders
> B) the problems with the waders were all bellow the waist
> C) I also gave them the name of the person at Fish First who looked at
> the waders, and confirmed that it is a manufacturer issue.

All that said, I would still forget about it and buy another set of waders. With
this kind of wording in their warranty:

"*Wader Warranty:
5 Year prorated warranty, provided in the warranty tags. Exempt from abuse,
neglect, wear/tear, professional use, guides, and/or excessive usage. Excessive
usage is determined by ADG®"

you're in a no-win situation. If ADG has decided your situation falls within the
last sentence of that warranty, you can't win. Companies like Simms and Orvis
will usually try harder to satisfy than the lesser-knowns.
--
TL,
Tim

April 6th, 2004, 07:34 AM
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:58:16 GMT, Steve Sullivan >
wrote:

>Around November of 2003 Ron Lewis (owner of Sierra Stream and Mountain,
>AKA TIE-FAST, who makes knot tiers and other tools) said that he had
>waders that a customer ordered but never picked up. I tried them on.

(snipped, for one reason, that we've read it all just about a week
ago)

If the feet were leaking, why didn't you stick to that issue? You
don't say there was anything else wrong with the waders.

If the size was an issue, you should have dealt with the shop owner
rather than ADG about it. ADG has no responsibility for what size
waders you bought (or traded services for) nor any other than to
replace or repair the faulty merchandice.

Once you get to the point they've agreed to replace the leaky waders,
then you can try to negotiate for a different size, if you're willing
to pay the cost of the difference between sizes.

You seem to be trying to blame both the shop owner and the
manufacturer for both problems you have with the waders. Each may be
responsible for one issue, but neither is for both.

You made a deal of merchandise for work, if I recall it properly. I
have never considered that to be a good idea. The company I just
retired from did that a lot more years ago than they do now. Those
things are just too apt to cause problems. They wound up with just a
very few, one of which was a public service company that could be
written off as good will in the community if it didn't work out.

I'd have someone else write a letter to go in the package (you're a
little too upset to gain a favourable impression from the company) and
send it, along with the waders in to the company. Don't mention
sizes. The size is not their fault. See what happens. You might get
new waders once they've looked at them and determined that the fault
wasn't caused by them being smaller than they maybe should have been.

You and the shop owner will both probably be much better off never
speaking to one another again. Stuff happens. Some of it is ugly.
At least this is cheaper ugly than some I've had happen. Let it go,
lest it cost you more in high blood pressure, loss of time, and
general emotional damage than the cost of new waders is worth.

That said, I have a can of pork and beans sitting here waiting until
I"m in the mood to complain to the company about the total lack of
even the miniscule piece of pork that generally appears in such. I
just have to decide whether or not I can stand it if they replace the
product, as I didn't particularly like the taste or texture of the
stuff anyway...
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Tim J.
April 6th, 2004, 03:05 PM
"Darwin Vander Stelt" wrote...
> You'll probably feel a lot better in a week when your period is over.

Hmmmm. . . harboring some ill-will toward the fairer sex, are we? This is post
number two where you've attempted to insult someone by comparing them to a
woman. If Cyli or Snake get a hold of you. . . <shiver>.
--
TL,
Tim

Darwin Vander Stelt
April 6th, 2004, 03:16 PM
You'll probably feel a lot better in a week when your period is over.

Darwin Vander Stelt
April 6th, 2004, 03:38 PM
I love them (women), just don't think we should share the same set of
disabilities.
"Tim J." > wrote in message

> "Darwin Vander Stelt" wrote...
> > You'll probably feel a lot better in a week when your period is over.
>
> Hmmmm. . . harboring some ill-will toward the fairer sex, are we? This is
post
> number two where you've attempted to insult someone by comparing them to a
> woman. If Cyli or Snake get a hold of you. . . <shiver>.
> --
> TL,
> Tim
> ------------------------
> http://css.sbcma.com/timj

Steve Sullivan
April 6th, 2004, 05:40 PM
They called me up today, I came in, and they gave me a new pair of
waders.

Tim J.
April 6th, 2004, 06:24 PM
"Steve Sullivan" wrote...
> They called me up today, I came in, and they gave me a new pair of
> waders.

Now I'm confused on what lesson we all learned:
1) Good things come to those who wait.
2) Patience is a virtue.
3) The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Which do you think, Steve?
--
TL,
Tim

rw
April 6th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Steve Sullivan wrote:

> They called me up today, I came in, and they gave me a new pair of
> waders.

Aren't you ashamed of yourself now? :-)

I'm kidding. You felt you were wronged, and you took steps to make it
right. There's nothing to be ashamed of about that (within limits).

I'm curious, though. Did posting your complaints on ROFF and elsewhere
have any effect? I hope not, because I don't want to see every FF
consumer complaint become a ROFF cause.

Steve Sullivan
April 6th, 2004, 09:01 PM
In article .net>,
rw > wrote:

> Steve Sullivan wrote:
>
> > They called me up today, I came in, and they gave me a new pair of
> > waders.
>
> Aren't you ashamed of yourself now? :-)

No, although I think I made a mistake in not having a third party go in
and try to work things out. I was very emotional about the issue, they
were very emotional, I was friends with the owner before this, it is too
things turned out like they did.

> I'm kidding. You felt you were wronged, and you took steps to make it
> right. There's nothing to be ashamed of about that (within limits).
>
> I'm curious, though. Did posting your complaints on ROFF and elsewhere
> have any effect? I hope not, because I don't want to see every FF
> consumer complaint become a ROFF cause.

Then in that case, no it did not have any effect.

April 7th, 2004, 07:24 AM
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 08:38:09 -0600, "Darwin Vander Stelt"
> wrote:

>I love them (women), just don't think we should share the same set of
>disabilities.

>"Tim J." > wrote in message
>>
>> "Darwin Vander Stelt" wrote...
>> > You'll probably feel a lot better in a week when your period is over.
>>
>> Hmmmm. . . harboring some ill-will toward the fairer sex, are we? This is
>post
>> number two where you've attempted to insult someone by comparing them to a
>> woman. If Cyli or Snake get a hold of you. . . <shiver>.

Hmmmm. No, there's no point in taking on someone who doesn't know the
difference between having a period and PMS. Or who blames too much
on either of them. They're going to be mildly bewildered a lot, at
best. Someone who thinks it's okay to say, '...period is over.'
because it's not as gross as, '...off the rag.' is not fair game.
Same mindset, but making their best attempt at being a sensitive new
age guy.

However, they're often useful if one's car breaks down. When they're
done with it, a proper mechanic can find a lot to blame the problems
on.

--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.
Only a fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Darwin Vander Stelt
April 7th, 2004, 03:26 PM
> Hmmmm. No, there's no point in taking on someone who doesn't know the
> difference between having a period and PMS. Or who blames too much
> on either of them. They're going to be mildly bewildered a lot, at
> best. Someone who thinks it's okay to say, '...period is over.'
> because it's not as gross as, '...off the rag.' is not fair game.
> Same mindset, but making their best attempt at being a sensitive new
> age guy.
>
>However, they're often useful if one's car breaks down. >When they're
> done with it, a proper mechanic can find a lot to blame the problems
> on.
>
> --

Yup.