PDA

View Full Version : Grayling Help

Dave
April 18th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Hi,

I grew up in the east flyfishing for trout. I now live in northern Alberta
where there are few good flyfishing waters. A lot of my fishing now is after
pike and some walleye (yes, pike are a lot of fun on the flyrod!!!) but I
tend you use big tackle with a spinning rod and chase the big guys.

This spring my friend and I have booked a fly-in trip after lakers, pike,
walleye, and grayling. I have never fished grayling before, let alone with
the flyrod. I am clueless as to fly choice and techniques.

Any help out there????

Greg Jetter
April 23rd, 2004, 05:05 AM
Dave wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I grew up in the east flyfishing for trout. I now live in northern Alberta
> where there are few good flyfishing waters. A lot of my fishing now is
> after pike and some walleye (yes, pike are a lot of fun on the flyrod!!!)
> but I tend you use big tackle with a spinning rod and chase the big guys.
>
> This spring my friend and I have booked a fly-in trip after lakers, pike,
> walleye, and grayling. I have never fished grayling before, let alone with
> the flyrod. I am clueless as to fly choice and techniques.
>
> Any help out there????
we have them up here in Alaska ,`very taste fun fish , with distentive
features , I've taken them on small dry flys and wet flies. mosquoto
patterns , caddis flys , just about anything .. depending on where your
fishing lakes or creeks or rivers ...

I think they are better than trout ... at least they tast better to me..
have fun

Greg

Bill P
April 25th, 2004, 06:28 PM
"Greg Jetter" > wrote in message
> Dave wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I grew up in the east flyfishing for trout. I now live in northern
Alberta
> > where there are few good flyfishing waters. A lot of my fishing now is
> > after pike and some walleye (yes, pike are a lot of fun on the
flyrod!!!)
> > but I tend you use big tackle with a spinning rod and chase the big
guys.

> > This spring my friend and I have booked a fly-in trip after lakers,
pike,
> > walleye, and grayling. I have never fished grayling before, let alone
with
> > the flyrod. I am clueless as to fly choice and techniques.
> >
> > Any help out there????
> we have them up here in Alaska ,`very taste fun fish , with distentive
> features , I've taken them on small dry flys and wet flies. mosquoto
> patterns , caddis flys , just about anything .. depending on where your
> fishing lakes or creeks or rivers ...
>
> I think they are better than trout ... at least they tast better to me..
> have fun
>
> Greg

Totally agree w/taste! Wonderful!
as for a fly, I have had excellent luck with most anything white-ish, but
what I had the most luck with is a size 12, white front hackle, rear brown
hackle, same size and a peacock herl body. Forgotten the name..... sorry.
Also... don't horse them in... they have VERY soft mouths..

Have fun!!

Bill

Bill P
April 26th, 2004, 07:36 AM