PDA

View Full Version : I'm really new to fly fishing but have an entire summer to learn

Red|Bunny
April 29th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Hello I'm a neophyte to the sport of fly fishing and was wondering if I
could glean some information about it.

First off what kind of rod in the 40-70 dollar price range would you
recomend for a petite woman? I saw some of them in the store and they look
too big for the likes of me, yikes!

Secondly, I will be able to travel anywhere in the united states (maybe
alaska) for a 2 week vacation at least, more if I can make my money stretch
and was wondering of any particular places of note. I live in redding, ca
and hear there is some awesome fishing about already.

Lastly, I was wondering if instead of calling up my honey and forcing him to
take me to the woods to teach me fly fishing, he hates teaching me anything
if I could get a book on it and be pretty well off. I learned computers
that way, and look at me now ;)

A book like this maybe?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0028629531/srtcr-20?dev-t=mason-wrapper%26camp=2025%26link_code=xm2

Bunny

Michael P. Thompson
April 30th, 2004, 06:57 AM
On 4/29/04 12:26 AM, in article
, "Red|Bunny"
> wrote:

> First off what kind of rod in the 40-70 dollar price range would you
> recomend for a petite woman? I saw some of them in the store and they look
> too big for the likes of me, yikes!

Hi Bunny, I envy you. You're embarking on one of the greatest adventures of
life.

First of all, the rods used in flyfishing may seem large at first, but an
eight and a half foot rod is quite common, and used by people of small
stature as well as tall ones. One of my favorites is the Redington fly rod.
See
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id
=0018222316647a&navAction=jump&navCount=1&indexId=cat20469&podId=0018222&cat
alogCode=IE&parentId=cat20469&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat20431&_D
ARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=http%3A%2
F%2Fa1460.g.akamai.net%2Ff%2F1460%2F1339%2F6h%2Fww w.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2F
en%2Fcontent%2FPod%2F01%2F82%2F22%2Fp018222ii01.jp g&hasJS=true

It's one of the best you can get for that kind of money ($99). You can get
cheaper ones, but they tend to be difficult to cast, and that can be hard on
a beginner. If you go to a store and look at rods, hold them up, and whip
them in about a twenty degree arc or so, and look at where they bend. A good
medium action rod will have a fair degree of bend up near the tip. I'd also
look for something that is no more than about a quarter inch thick at the
base.

> Secondly, I will be able to travel anywhere in the united states (maybe
> alaska) for a 2 week vacation at least, more if I can make my money stretch
> and was wondering of any particular places of note. I live in redding, ca
> and hear there is some awesome fishing about already.

Can't help you much there. I have some favorite streams here in Colorado,
but I don't know much about things outside of my home area. If you happen to
be traveling to Colorado, come by http://www.coloradoflyfishing.us and join
our group. I'm sure you'll get great directions there.

> Lastly, I was wondering if instead of calling up my honey and forcing him to
> take me to the woods to teach me fly fishing, he hates teaching me anything
> if I could get a book on it and be pretty well off. I learned computers
> that way, and look at me now ;)

My old standby isn't in print any more. The one you mentioned looks pretty
good. Mel Krieger is one of the authors, and I've seen him demonstrate at
flyfishing shows and he's good at instructing others.

Something else that looks good is by Joan Wulff. Check out:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006484L/qid=1083302926/sr=8
-3/ref=pd_ka_3/103-7645625-1340633?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

riverman
April 30th, 2004, 09:36 AM
"Michael P. Thompson" > wrote in message

One of my favorites is the Redington fly rod.
> See

WOW, what a link THAT was!!

--riverman

Mark W. Oots
April 30th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Though there are rods in the 40 - 70 buck price range, I'd recommend that
you at the least, stay on the high end of that. Most 40 dollar rods cast
like a broom stick or a willow branch. Both Cabela's and BPS have decent
enough combos for in the range of 150 - 200. For someone not sure of their
dedication to F'fishing, Cabela's even has combos that come with assorted
flies and a chest pack. They have 2 versions, the higher priced on being and
easier rod to cast with. Me thinks it's in the range of 160 bucks for rod,
reel, line, backing, a leader, a few flies and a pack to keep the flies in.

If you're willing to go a little higher, the already mentioned Redington or
a St Croix Imperial combo is about 200 bucks and is a pretty decent rod.

Two words of warning, you have to decide what size flies you are going to
throw before buy a rod. A great small stream trout rod will do you no good
fishing for Steelies in Alaska. Secondly, a lousy rod will turn you off from
F'fishing faster than a lousy fishing trip. Before you buy, stop in at a
good flyfishing shop someplace and talk to the salesmen. They will always
try to steer you to what they sell, but you may be able to try a rod or two
out and see what is available before buying what you may not be able to use.

Mark

---

Skygge
May 2nd, 2004, 08:04 AM
"Red|Bunny" > schreef in bericht
. com...
> Hello I'm a neophyte to the sport of fly fishing and was wondering if I
> could glean some information about it.
>
> First off what kind of rod in the 40-70 dollar price range would you
> recomend for a petite woman? I saw some of them in the store and they
look
> too big for the likes of me, yikes!

You can also look for a rod from the previous year, i bought a reddington
crosswater 8", a number 5/6. And it works great, only thing is i don't have
the newest already a year old, but... the fish don't see it. ;-)

And it was 50% cheaper :-)

So look arround/read much, for a rod. Don't believe everything the salesman
says they only want to sell you that expensive ones...

AND Good luck en have a nice fishing experience, once hooked you cant get
unhooked ;-)

Cu, Skygge

Stan Gula
May 2nd, 2004, 12:37 PM
"Skygge" > wrote in message
i.nl...

> AND Good luck en have a nice fishing experience, once hooked you cant get
> unhooked ;-)
>
> Cu, Skygge

Barbless hooks help for that. ;-)

Skygge
May 2nd, 2004, 04:16 PM
"Stan Gula" > schreef in bericht
> "Skygge" > wrote in message
> i.nl...
>
> > AND Good luck en have a nice fishing experience, once hooked you cant
get
> > unhooked ;-)
> >
> > Cu, Skygge
> >

> Barbless hooks help for that. ;-)