PDA

View Full Version : Why ban Boillies and Nuts?

Craig
September 25th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Why do a lot of waters ban Boillies and Nuts? Is it because the fish get
used to them and don't want to take other baits, making it a hard water to
fish?

Also, what is the difference between Trout pellets and Halibut pellets?

Cheers.

Ergo
September 25th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Craig wrote:
> Why do a lot of waters ban Boillies and Nuts? Is it because the fish
> get used to them and don't want to take other baits, making it a hard
> water to fish?
>

> Also, what is the difference between Trout pellets and Halibut
> pellets?
>

> Cheers.

Something else for you to think about. If it says No Livebaits, should you
be able to use worms and maggots, they are live aren't they lol

--
Ergo ²°°³
www.eric-gales.co.uk

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Phil.L
September 25th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Craig wrote:
: Why do a lot of waters ban Boillies and Nuts? Is it because the fish
: get used to them and don't want to take other baits, making it a hard
: water to fish?
:
:
Nuts are banned for a number of reasons, the main one being that if theyre
not prepared correctly the fish cannot digest them.
If a fish takes something organic into its gut which wont break down
properly, it rots and eventually kills the fish.
the way to prepare tiger nuts for instance is to soak them for 48 hours,
boil them for two hours, then soak them in cold water for a further 48
hours!
result: lazy anglers wont do it and the fish get killed, therefore they're
banned.

boilies are banned because they are usually put into the water in such high
quantities (sometimes 5 or 10 kilos at a time!) that if everyone used them
the water would be poisoned with them and the fish would eat nothing else.

there are many other reasons for the bans of nuts and boilies, but these are
the main two.

:
: Also, what is the difference between Trout pellets and Halibut
: pellets?
:
:
halibut pellets have a much higher oil content.

:
: Cheers.

Craig
September 26th, 2003, 06:33 PM
True.

"Ergo" > wrote in message
> Something else for you to think about. If it says No Livebaits, should you
> be able to use worms and maggots, they are live aren't they lol
>

> --
> Ergo ²°°³
> www.eric-gales.co.uk
> If you can't change your fate ..... change your attitude!

Craig
September 26th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Cheers Phil.

Another question, why do carp anglers put out so much bait? 5 or 10 kilo's
seems crazy, but I know a lot of them do it. Spoding for about 3 hours!

In lakes I have been to, as soon as someone spods a lot of bait, it seems to
kill the whole lake. To me, it would be more logical to get the bait in a
good location on the margins. Instead of casting as far as they can into
the middle of the lake, after baiting it like mad.

"Phil.L" > wrote in message
> Craig wrote:
> : Why do a lot of waters ban Boillies and Nuts? Is it because the fish
> : get used to them and don't want to take other baits, making it a hard
> : water to fish?
> :
> :
> Nuts are banned for a number of reasons, the main one being that if theyre
> not prepared correctly the fish cannot digest them.
> If a fish takes something organic into its gut which wont break down
> properly, it rots and eventually kills the fish.
> the way to prepare tiger nuts for instance is to soak them for 48 hours,
> boil them for two hours, then soak them in cold water for a further 48
> hours!
> result: lazy anglers wont do it and the fish get killed, therefore they're
> banned.
>
> boilies are banned because they are usually put into the water in such
high
> quantities (sometimes 5 or 10 kilos at a time!) that if everyone used them
> the water would be poisoned with them and the fish would eat nothing else.
>
> there are many other reasons for the bans of nuts and boilies, but these
are
> the main two.
>
> :
> : Also, what is the difference between Trout pellets and Halibut
> : pellets?
> :
> :
> halibut pellets have a much higher oil content.
>
> :
> : Cheers.

Richard
September 26th, 2003, 11:35 PM
"Craig" > wrote in message
> Cheers Phil.
>
> Another question, why do carp anglers put out so much bait? 5 or 10
kilo's
> seems crazy, but I know a lot of them do it. Spoding for about 3 hours!

Because they know little better

> In lakes I have been to, as soon as someone spods a lot of bait, it seems
> kill the whole lake.

True of many lakes ... even the traditional top forty carp waters in the UK
..... brainwashed fishermen.

To me, it would be more logical to get the bait in a
> good location on the margins. Instead of casting as far as they can into
> the middle of the lake, after baiting it like mad.

Maybe, margins can be very productive as can some distant points but neither
require massive baiting for success.

Cheers ...... Richard

---

Phil.L
September 27th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Craig wrote:
: Cheers Phil.
:
: Another question, why do carp anglers put out so much bait? 5 or 10
: kilo's seems crazy, but I know a lot of them do it. Spoding for
: about 3 hours!
:
: In lakes I have been to, as soon as someone spods a lot of bait, it
: seems to kill the whole lake. To me, it would be more logical to get
: the bait in a good location on the margins. Instead of casting as
: far as they can into the middle of the lake, after baiting it like
: mad.
:
They are set in their ways i think, simply because they have caught fish
that way before, they see it as the only way, which is wrong.
you are correct in your thoughts on margin fishing, i have had far more carp
on a floater in the weeds, and sometimes a lump of paste in a foot of water,
than i have in the middle of the lake.
One of my favourite places for margin fishing is packed with big (ish) carp.
When i go there and all the guys have legers out on the bottom in the middle
(as per), i throw a few expanders in the margins,(the carp start slurping
them straight away) then set up my rod with no tackle other than a hook, and
use a tiny piece of brown bread in amongst the expanders, and i'll catch
almost immediately and consistently for the rest of the day! - the looks on
their faces is a picture!

kinglemming
September 27th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Craig wrote:

> Cheers Phil.
>
> Another question, why do carp anglers put out so much bait? 5 or 10 kilo's
> seems crazy, but I know a lot of them do it. Spoding for about 3 hours!
>
> In lakes I have been to, as soon as someone spods a lot of bait, it seems to
> kill the whole lake. To me, it would be more logical to get the bait in a
> good location on the margins. Instead of casting as far as they can into
> the middle of the lake, after baiting it like mad.
>
> "Phil.L" > wrote in message

thats nothing some anglers i know put in about 60 kilos a session!!!

steve

--
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeSPLA T!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.stebru.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
http://www.aquatels.co.uk

Derek.Moody
September 28th, 2003, 03:38 PM
In article >, kinglemming
> wrote:
> Craig wrote:

> > Another question, why do carp anglers put out so much bait? 5 or 10 kilo's
> > seems crazy, but I know a lot of them do it. Spoding for about 3 hours!

> thats nothing some anglers i know put in about 60 kilos a session!!!

This is becoming a serious problem. Depending on the formulation of the
boilie mix that could be as polluting (BOD - not metals) as 350 litres or
more of raw sewage...

Cheerio,

--

ajk
October 19th, 2003, 06:40 AM
sorry but most of the reasons explained are complete rubbish, no1 bollies
will not pollute the water, 90 per cent of todays bollies breakdown after
time in the water, so there is no differance than all the ground bait you
lot throw in, and for not knowing any any better, get a life.
depending on what water you are fishing depends on bait amounts some waters
need the heavy baiting to get the fish to stay in the area of your baits, we
are not taking about small roach who will be full after 3 maggots in their
bellies, bo you relise how much a 20lb carp can hover up in one go.
you say all carp anglers spend 3 hours spodding, well good look to them, all
you pole boys groundbait every 2 min so what is the differance.
3 size tennis balls of ground bait every 2 mins is the same as spodding for
3 hours.
"Derek.Moody" > wrote in message
> In article >, kinglemming
> > wrote:
> > Craig wrote:
>
> > > Another question, why do carp anglers put out so much bait? 5 or 10
kilo's
> > > seems crazy, but I know a lot of them do it. Spoding for about 3
hours!

> > thats nothing some anglers i know put in about 60 kilos a session!!!
>
> This is becoming a serious problem. Depending on the formulation of the
> boilie mix that could be as polluting (BOD - not metals) as 350 litres or
> more of raw sewage...
>
> Cheerio,
>
> --

Derek.Moody
October 19th, 2003, 11:28 AM
In article >, ajk
> wrote:

[Sigh, another top-poster. Re-ordered to convention.]

> > > thats nothing some anglers i know put in about 60 kilos a session!!!
> >
> > This is becoming a serious problem. Depending on the formulation of the
> > boilie mix that could be as polluting (BOD - not metals) as 350 litres or
> > more of raw sewage...

> sorry but most of the reasons explained are complete rubbish, no1 bollies
> will not pollute the water, 90 per cent of todays bollies breakdown after
> time in the water, so there is no differance than all the ground bait you
> lot throw in, and for not knowing any any better, get a life.

Huge amounts of groundbait are almost as bad, true.

Take a look at the water you fish. It should be clear with weedgrowth
visible on the bottom at least two meters below the surface, preferably
more. If it's not clear there is already too much nutrient in the water.

In a clear water one of the best attractor groundaits is mud. Stir
up the bottom and keep a bucket full of silt to throw in and maintain the
cloud. Add a few free samples and you have a first class low impact
attractor.

If you think boilies don't pollute the water then put half a dozen in bowl
of water by your bed and see what you think of them after a fortnight.

> bellies, bo you relise how much a 20lb carp can hover up in one go.

And then it doesn't need to eat again for several days after which nature
takes it's course and the remains of the boilies are returned to the water
to reinforce the polluting effect.

> hours!

> you say all carp anglers spend 3 hours spodding, well good look to them, all

Wasn't me. If you hadn't top-posted you would have preserved the attribution.

> you pole boys groundbait every 2 min so what is the differance.

It would be interesting to compare the actual polluting effects, I don't
think anyone has ever studied it. Are any students looking for a thesis
topic reading this?

> 3 size tennis balls of ground bait every 2 mins is the same as spodding for

Yup, stupid.

Cheerio,