PDA

View Full Version : Can you help ID this little rod bender ....

Brownz
September 26th, 2003, 08:37 PM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwbrown/Image(91).jpg

I thought it might be a large roach, but it felt about 3.5lbs ?

The odd thing as well was that it took a buzzer lure like this:
http://www.tackleworld.co.uk/acatalog/waspspinnerbait.jpg

I was fishing for pike at the time.

Any expert opions more than welcome.

Cheers - Brownz

(PS - Should avoid this sort of question soon as I've just ordered a guide
to freshwater fish book !!)

Bryan Hall
September 26th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Chub? Might explain the spinner take.

"Brownz" > wrote in message
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwbrown/Image(91).jpg
>
> I thought it might be a large roach, but it felt about 3.5lbs ?
>
> The odd thing as well was that it took a buzzer lure like this:
> http://www.tackleworld.co.uk/acatalog/waspspinnerbait.jpg
>
> I was fishing for pike at the time.
>
> Any expert opions more than welcome.
>
> Cheers - Brownz
>
> (PS - Should avoid this sort of question soon as I've just ordered a guide
> to freshwater fish book !!)

Phil.L
September 27th, 2003, 02:56 PM
:
: I thought it might be a large roach, but it felt about 3.5lbs ?
:
: The odd thing as well was that it took a buzzer lure like this:
: http://www.tackleworld.co.uk/acatalog/waspspinnerbait.jpg
:
: I was fishing for pike at the time.
:
: Any expert opions more than welcome.
:
: Cheers - Brownz
:
: (PS - Should avoid this sort of question soon as I've just ordered a
: guide to freshwater fish book !!)

its a chub, but i didnt know they would take spinners!
(mind you, nothing surprises me anymore where fish are concerned after i
caught a nice perch on breadflake!)

Brownz
September 27th, 2003, 07:53 PM
"Phil.L" > wrote in message
> Brownz wrote:
> : http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwbrown/Image(91).jpg
> : I thought it might be a large roach, but it felt about 3.5lbs ?
> : The odd thing as well was that it took a buzzer lure like this:
http://www.tackleworld.co.uk/acatalog/waspspinnerbait.jpg
> : I was fishing for pike at the time.
> : Any expert opions more than welcome.
> : Cheers - Brownz
> : (PS - Should avoid this sort of question soon as I've just ordered a
> : guide to freshwater fish book !!)
>
> its a chub, but i didnt know they would take spinners!
> (mind you, nothing surprises me anymore where fish are concerned after i
> caught a nice perch on breadflake!)

Thanks Bryan & Phil !!
Yup, got talking to an old hand down the local last night, he confirmed it
was a chub, and apparently they're known for taking lures/spinners. He said
he'd had quite a large one on a deadbaited sprat before too !

Another dumb newbie question .....

Are hallibut pellets any good as a hook bait when drilled, or is it wise to
always use them the conventional way on a hair rig ?

Cheers - Brownz

(PS - Just started back fishing after a 15 year gap !!)

Chris Gibson
September 27th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Chub it is.

And chub will routinely take small meps spinners and similar - just not a 10
inch jointed plug (at least not so fra as i know, but the again . . . )

"Phil.L" > wrote in message
> Brownz wrote:
> : http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwbrown/Image(91).jpg
> :
> : I thought it might be a large roach, but it felt about 3.5lbs ?
> :
> : The odd thing as well was that it took a buzzer lure like this:
> : http://www.tackleworld.co.uk/acatalog/waspspinnerbait.jpg
> :
> : I was fishing for pike at the time.
> :
> : Any expert opions more than welcome.
> :
> : Cheers - Brownz
> :
> : (PS - Should avoid this sort of question soon as I've just ordered a
> : guide to freshwater fish book !!)
>
> its a chub, but i didnt know they would take spinners!
> (mind you, nothing surprises me anymore where fish are concerned after i
> caught a nice perch on breadflake!)

Derek.Moody
September 28th, 2003, 01:12 PM
In article >, Phil.L
> wrote:

> its a chub, but i didnt know they would take spinners!

Flies, spinners, plugs, livebaits...

The problem with spinning&plugging is that chub are very easily spooked and
anglers tend to take less care to keep out of sight when casting. Try to
sneak up on a surface chub under a tree and drop a bulky floating plug or
popper a few feet behind - leave it a second and then give it a couple of
short pulls.

Cheerio,

--

Bryan Hall
September 28th, 2003, 01:28 PM
I use them on the hair - easier to mount and change

> Thanks Bryan & Phil !!
> Yup, got talking to an old hand down the local last night, he confirmed it
> was a chub, and apparently they're known for taking lures/spinners. He
said
> he'd had quite a large one on a deadbaited sprat before too !
>
> Another dumb newbie question .....
>
> Are hallibut pellets any good as a hook bait when drilled, or is it wise
> always use them the conventional way on a hair rig ?
>
> Cheers - Brownz
>
> (PS - Just started back fishing after a 15 year gap !!)

Bryan Hall
September 28th, 2003, 01:30 PM

> its a chub, but i didnt know they would take spinners!
> (mind you, nothing surprises me anymore where fish are concerned after i
> caught a nice perch on breadflake!)

Chub are greedy little buggers - and they're not alone

I've watched a carp take a dead minnow off the surface before now, and
landed a pike on a meatball

Bryan Hall
Dorzet