PDA

View Full Version : Worms

craig
September 27th, 2003, 02:00 PM
I would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice on digging for worms!
Apart from the obvious (get a fork!) I seem to remember a technique
involving washing up liquid distributed over the topsoil, or something
similar, any ideas? Much obliged,
Craig.

Alan Shelley
September 27th, 2003, 02:18 PM
"craig" > wrote in message
> I would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice on digging for
worms!
> Apart from the obvious (get a fork!) I seem to remember a technique
> involving washing up liquid distributed over the topsoil, or something
> similar, any ideas? Much obliged,
> Craig.

I have always added a good amount of washing up liquid to a bucket of warm
water & sprinkled it, with a watering can, over my lawn. Only an area of
about 1 square yard though.
After about 10 minutes you'll get about 20-30 lobs out on the surface.

Good luck.

Alan

Ergo
September 27th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Alan Shelley wrote:
<snip>
> I have always added a good amount of washing up liquid to a bucket of
> warm water & sprinkled it, with a watering can, over my lawn. Only an
> area of about 1 square yard though.
> After about 10 minutes you'll get about 20-30 lobs out on the surface.
>
> Good luck.
That about sums it up :) You could also try and make a compost heap for
future use. They give an excellent supply of red worms. If you have an old
stagnant pond near you. Slip in a piece of plywood or some such flat surface
and make sure it is submerged. Have a look at it next May or maybe sooner
depending on the weather, you should find it crawling with little blood worm
lol For immediate effect though, the washing up liquid tends to do the job.
If you have a piece of old waste ground in the area, cover it with damp
carpet. when you lift it the next day, you should find some worms. If you
have a patio or path with pots and things on, water the pots and the next
morning you may find some red worms. :D If you are really desperate for
worms I do have a large garden, if you dig it all over, you can keep all of
the worms you find rofl

--
Ergo ²°°³
www.eric-gales.co.uk

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Derek.Moody
September 27th, 2003, 02:33 PM
In article >, craig
> wrote:
> I would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice on digging for worms!
> Apart from the obvious (get a fork!) I seem to remember a technique
> involving washing up liquid distributed over the topsoil, or something
> similar, any ideas? Much obliged,

None of the 'lazy' worming methods work very well on really dry soil. If
you are in a part of the country that -is- getting significant rain there is
little to beat going out at night with a dim torch. The various processes
that involve pouring chemicals over the soil affect more than just worms and
should be regarded as an occasional last-resort at best.

Small worms are best collected with a fork - or if you need only a few then
wiggling a stick is usually worthwhile.

If you can afford the space I suggest the best tactic is to run a
storage-wormery which you replenish on any suitable night and from which you
draw as and when required.

Chaario,