PDA

View Full Version : matchmen

Simon Atkinson
October 6th, 2003, 09:00 AM
had a great day out fishing last friday, got talking to a couple of matchmen
who were practising for a weekend match but got the feeling they were a
little bit single minded, I was approached by one and the conversation went
something like this

hello mate caught much?
not bad steady bream all day
what you using , pellet?
no single or double sweet corn
oh corn, what over pellet?
no over loose fed corn
what no pellet at all?

he was looking like I had just landed from annother planet, am I missing the
point, is pellet the wonder bait or just the in bait for now? I like using
corn ok you cant float it but I caught all day and if amassed could easily
of had over 70lb of fish but as said before each to their own.

Phil.L
October 6th, 2003, 08:44 PM
:
: hello mate caught much?
: not bad steady bream all day
: what you using , pellet?
: no single or double sweet corn
: oh corn, what over pellet?
: no over loose fed corn
: what no pellet at all?
:
: he was looking like I had just landed from annother planet, am I
: missing the point, is pellet the wonder bait or just the in bait for
: now? I like using corn ok you cant float it but I caught all day and
: if amassed could easily of had over 70lb of fish but as said before
: each to their own.

I agree, a lot of anglers feel the need to go to extremes of purchasing high
priced and highly flavoured baits, when in reality a good starchy type of
bait is adequate.
look at bread, it's cheap, nearly all coarse fish will readily take it, it
can be floated, legered, liquidised and even punched onto tiny hooks, and
theres very little in it but wheat!
some of my fav baits: bread, corn, hemp, groats, wheat, cornflakes(!) and
oats as a ground bait base mix.
i do use pellets, but not at this time of year, i tend to use them only in
the height of summer when carp/tench/barbel etc are feeding vociferously,
but even then, bread still takes some beating.

Ergo
October 6th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Phil.L wrote:
> Simon Atkinson wrote:
>> had a great day out fishing last friday, got talking to a couple of
>> matchmen who were practising for a weekend match but got the feeling
>> they were a little bit single minded, I was approached by one and
>> the conversation went something like this
<snip>

> I agree, a lot of anglers feel the need to go to extremes of
> purchasing high priced and highly flavoured baits, when in reality a
> good starchy type of bait is adequate.
> look at bread, it's cheap, nearly all coarse fish will readily take
> it, it can be floated, legered, liquidised and even punched onto tiny
> hooks, and theres very little in it but wheat!
> some of my fav baits: bread, corn, hemp, groats, wheat, cornflakes(!)
> and oats as a ground bait base mix.
> i do use pellets, but not at this time of year, i tend to use them
> only in the height of summer when carp/tench/barbel etc are feeding
> vociferously, but even then, bread still takes some beating.

While bread is OK, I find that the red maggot or worm take some beating as
an all year round bait.

--
Ergo ²°°³

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Phil.L
October 6th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Ergo wrote:
: Phil.L wrote:
:: Simon Atkinson wrote:
::: had a great day out fishing last friday, got talking to a couple of
::: matchmen who were practising for a weekend match but got the feeling
::: they were a little bit single minded, I was approached by one and
::: the conversation went something like this
: <snip>
:
:: I agree, a lot of anglers feel the need to go to extremes of
:: purchasing high priced and highly flavoured baits, when in reality a
:: good starchy type of bait is adequate.
:: look at bread, it's cheap, nearly all coarse fish will readily take
:: it, it can be floated, legered, liquidised and even punched onto tiny
:: hooks, and theres very little in it but wheat!
:: some of my fav baits: bread, corn, hemp, groats, wheat, cornflakes(!)
:: and oats as a ground bait base mix.
:: i do use pellets, but not at this time of year, i tend to use them
:: only in the height of summer when carp/tench/barbel etc are feeding
:: vociferously, but even then, bread still takes some beating.
:
: While bread is OK, I find that the red maggot or worm take some
: beating as an all year round bait.

I think it depends where you live.
I'm from Lancashire and its cold up here even now, we've had temps of -2
during the night a few times and its only going to get colder.
I'm not an expert on fish, but i know that maggot/worm/meat etc are high
protein and require more time to digest than carbohydrates(bread), most fish
cannot digest food at very low temperatures, and many of the waters i fish
are quite shallow (4ft or less) and once they are chilled overnight, they
take a very long time to warm up.
Having said that, theres a fishery nearby with sturgeon, (big buggers too,
up to twenty pound and five feet long!)which feed on big slabs of meat and
paste all year round!
i think its because they are from deep cold rivers in USSR!

Ergo
October 6th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Phil.L wrote:
> Ergo wrote:
>> Phil.L wrote:
> to warm up. Having said that, theres a fishery nearby with sturgeon,
> (big buggers too, up to twenty pound and five feet long!)which feed
> on big slabs of meat and paste all year round!
> i think its because they are from deep cold rivers in USSR!

Wow sturgeon, I'm on my way. Being a soft southerner, it is quite warm down
here. Last winter some of our lakes froze over :(
However once I broke through the ice, I had a good day on roach rudd and
chub, all caught on red maggot fished over a coarse groundbait and hempseed.
I even managed a barbel 8-o to around 4lbs.

--
Ergo ²°°³

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl