PDA

View Full Version : Re: Choosing Colors

Dan
September 22nd, 2003, 06:22 PM
To all the previous questions....

I've caught bass down to 110' so 125' is not that out of the question.

No I have not read the article.

I will fish any color as long as it's Purple!
Actually I fish alot of different colors but the more I go, the less I carry
and throw. Color adjustments are way down the list. Depth and speed will fix
most of your problems, then size of bait, action, etc. Give me a lifelike
color and I'll do just fine. The 6 worms I always carry,
Salt & Pepper, Green Weenie, Cinnamon Blue Neon,
Oxblood red flake, Pumpkin, and the all time single best color
ever.....Black Grape

Would never even let a pink worm in the boat. (what's next? Throw
Pillows???) However that was before I fished "Morning Dawn" a stupid pink
worm for Spotted bass. That is one "Spot Spanking Bait". I now have conceded
to having that worm on board. But only when I am up North fishing for the
Spots and only when no one else is around to witness it. :-)

Dan W.

"Charles B. Summers" (Comcast)> wrote in
message ...
> I found this web-site:
> http://www.tacklemaking.com/tacklemakers/default.php?content=mixing_paints
> the other day and was really impressed with this article... most of it you
> can skip, but the bottom part "Choosing Colors that Catch Fish" was very
> interesting. Did you know that under some circumstances, flourescent pink
> and yellow are visible to depths of 125 feet?
>
> --
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org
> "I've lowered my cholesterol!"

AJH
September 22nd, 2003, 06:33 PM
What did the bass caught in 110 ft look like?

I fish therefore I lie

Charles B. Summers
September 22nd, 2003, 07:05 PM
Oh c'mon Dan... everyone needs a pink worm on board!

Wait until you see our new Purple Spinnerbaits though...

"Dan" > wrote in message
k.net...
> To all the previous questions....
>
> I've caught bass down to 110' so 125' is not that out of the question.
>
> No I have not read the article.
>
> I will fish any color as long as it's Purple!
> Actually I fish alot of different colors but the more I go, the less I
carry
> and throw. Color adjustments are way down the list. Depth and speed will
fix
> most of your problems, then size of bait, action, etc. Give me a lifelike
> color and I'll do just fine. The 6 worms I always carry,
> Salt & Pepper, Green Weenie, Cinnamon Blue Neon,
> Oxblood red flake, Pumpkin, and the all time single best color
> ever.....Black Grape
>
> Would never even let a pink worm in the boat. (what's next? Throw
> Pillows???) However that was before I fished "Morning Dawn" a stupid pink
> worm for Spotted bass. That is one "Spot Spanking Bait". I now have
conceded
> to having that worm on board. But only when I am up North fishing for the
> Spots and only when no one else is around to witness it. :-)
>
> Dan W.
>

> "Charles B. Summers" (Comcast)> wrote in
> message ...
> > I found this web-site:

http://www.tacklemaking.com/tacklemakers/default.php?content=mixing_paints
> > the other day and was really impressed with this article... most of it
you
> > can skip, but the bottom part "Choosing Colors that Catch Fish" was very
> > interesting. Did you know that under some circumstances, flourescent
pink
> > and yellow are visible to depths of 125 feet?
> >
> > --
> > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> > www.midtennclassic.org
> > "I've lowered my cholesterol!"

Dan
September 22nd, 2003, 10:37 PM
He was very pale in color,
His overall length was about 10".
His girth coming from that depth is another story.
LM Bass caught deeper than 30' or so can get a version of the "bends" The
swim bladder expands and hurts or kills the fish. Can get so bad that the
eyes bulge out and the bladder comes out of the basses mouth. Picture a bass
that should be5 " around instead being 7 or 8".
One of the many reasons I don't fish below 50' anymore for LM. You end up
killing too many fish. Another is that most of the super deep bass are
dinks.
Bass caught from deep water need special handling. Some tips:
Reeling the bass in slowly gives the fish some extra time to try and adjust
the bladder.
Release deep caught fish immediately. They sometimes can retain the ability
to dive and get back to depth and survive.
If the fish gets bloated, you can take a large hypodermic needle, (spinal
tap size) and carefully insert it in the bass to deflate the bladder. If you
have never done it, get someone who knows to show you. The insertion point
and technique are critical else you just guarentee the fish is dead.
If you don't have the needle, you can make a release weight. Take a 2-4 ox.
torpedo sinker, attach a large single hook, (barbless) pointing down to the
sinker. Tie a line to the top eye. Then clip the hook into the bass's mouth,
(pointing down and release and let the sinker take the bass down. Drop him
20' or so. When you wind the sinker in, the hook should come right out, you
get the weight back and the fish is at a depth where he can swim and dive
again. Hopefully he survives.

Dan W.