PDA

View Full Version : pike question

Phil.L
October 12th, 2003, 10:39 PM
I usually target carp in the summer, and go sturgeon fishing through the
winter, with the occasional foray into trout fishing for a laugh.(not fly!)

this winter i'm going to have a crack at piking.
i have a couple of bungs etc and a few spinners of small to medium size,
wire traces, forceps and a good carp rod - 2.5lb test curve.
Im on a budget so i cant get spinning rods etc until i try it and see how it
goes.

i watched a prog on discovery H&L last week where a top pike man was
explaining the use of bright colours V dull ones and spinners V bungs etc.
what would be the best lure for clear water?
muddy water?
weedy water?
what size mainline is best?
will an ordinary reel do (its a baitrunner type with a good drag)?

any help gratefully received!

--
Ah, chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

Ergo
October 12th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Phil.L wrote:
> I usually target carp in the summer, and go sturgeon fishing through
> the winter, with the occasional foray into trout fishing for a
> laugh.(not fly!)
>
> this winter i'm going to have a crack at piking.
> i have a couple of bungs etc and a few spinners of small to medium
> size, wire traces, forceps and a good carp rod - 2.5lb test curve.
> Im on a budget so i cant get spinning rods etc until i try it and see
> how it goes.
>
> i watched a prog on discovery H&L last week where a top pike man was
> explaining the use of bright colours V dull ones and spinners V bungs
> etc. what would be the best lure for clear water?
> muddy water?
> weedy water?
> what size mainline is best?
> will an ordinary reel do (its a baitrunner type with a good drag)?
>

> any help gratefully received!
You could try here and go to the Pike Section
http://uk-fisherman.lithium.srv2.com/default.asp
They a usually a friendly and helpful bunch lol
--
Ergo ²°°³
A day without sunshine is like, well, night!

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Dave Brown
October 13th, 2003, 10:26 AM
"Ergo" > wrote in message
> Phil.L wrote:
> > I usually target carp in the summer, and go sturgeon fishing through
> > the winter, with the occasional foray into trout fishing for a
> > laugh.(not fly!)
> > this winter i'm going to have a crack at piking.
> > i have a couple of bungs etc and a few spinners of small to medium
> > size, wire traces, forceps and a good carp rod - 2.5lb test curve.
> > Im on a budget so i cant get spinning rods etc until i try it and see
> > how it goes.
> > i watched a prog on discovery H&L last week where a top pike man was
> > explaining the use of bright colours V dull ones and spinners V bungs
> > etc. what would be the best lure for clear water?
> > muddy water?
> > weedy water?
> > what size mainline is best?
> > will an ordinary reel do (its a baitrunner type with a good drag)?
> > any help gratefully received!
> You could try here and go to the Pike Section
> http://uk-fisherman.lithium.srv2.com/default.asp
> They a usually a friendly and helpful bunch lol
> Ergo ²°°³
> A day without sunshine is like, well, night!

I love piking !
I travel light normally taking just a rod, reel, landing net, pliers,
gardening glove and a pocket full of lures.
I had a 15lb beast yesterday out of the Thames at Sutton Courtenay.
The most successful lure at the moment for me is the wasp spinner type.
The pike (and perch/chub) are highly attracted to them.
Because of the design they are a lot less likely to snag like conventional
spinners.
https://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/PIKE/foxlspinners.htm
I use a fox predator two piece rod with a 3lb TC, which is a bit extreme,
but I like my kit beefy !
I use a daiwa baitrunner style reel with 20lb or an Okuma with 10lb.
In my opinion, you don't go fishing for Pike, unless you are sat their with
a deadbait.
I like to think you are hunting for pike.
You have to stalk them, running lures down the sides of weed beds and often
through !
Short casts under overhanging trees, in obstructed water with branches
everywhere.
Its much more fun and sporting than sitting there on a bank with a £1000 row
of hi-tech rods with bait alarms etc......
I'm quite lucky as there are some great spots local to me here for good size
Thames pike & perch.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

Cheers - Brownz
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwbrown/Image(90).jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwbrown/Image(89).jpg

Gray
October 13th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Hi Phil
I've found that Pike can be as canny as Carp so have a selection of what you
can afford
Check out your local car boot sale for stuff our local one has a damn good
tackle supplier as does the other three nearby so I'm spoilt for choice at
times

Try making some yourself too

--
Regards
Gray

http://www.madcaravanner.co.uk

"Phil.L" > wrote in message
> this winter i'm going to have a crack at piking.

> Im on a budget so i cant get spinning rods etc until i try it and see how
it goes.

> i watched a prog on discovery H&L last week where a top pike man was
> explaining the use of bright colours V dull ones and spinners V bungs etc.

---

Phil.L
October 13th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Thanks to all for your tips and advice, I'm hoping to get a few more bits
and pieces together over the next week or two, and get a bit more advice
from the link Ergo sent and then I'll be ready to start!

Cheers all!!