PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Dead Maggots?

Matt \(IS Team\)
October 13th, 2003, 05:33 PM
I quite like the idea of using dead maggots (to prevent them burying
themselves in mud, leaves, silt etc) as mnetioned in a post below.
Is it recomended.possible to freeze dead maggots for use later?

I like to have bait 'to-hand' should the mood to go fishing grab me in the
early hours (tinned meat, pellets, corn etc) and I don't have easy access to
a tackle shop. So freezing dead moggots would be useful...

Gray
October 13th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Hi Matt

Why not
That's how I kill them anyway (usually by accident too)

--
Regards
Gray

http://www.madcaravanner.co.uk

"Matt (IS Team)" > wrote in message
> I quite like the idea of using dead maggots (to prevent them burying
> themselves in mud, leaves, silt etc) as mnetioned in a post below.
> Is it recomended.possible to freeze dead maggots for use later?

---

Phil.L
October 13th, 2003, 08:58 PM
:
: I like to have bait 'to-hand' should the mood to go fishing grab me
: in the early hours (tinned meat, pellets, corn etc) and I don't have
: easy access to a tackle shop. So freezing dead moggots would be
: useful...

Yes they can be frozen in baitboxes or bags, but make sure they're dry
before you put them in the freezer.
use a little cornflour or sawdust to dry them if they've 'sweated' on a warm
day, as obviously they'll stick together in a lump if they're damp and will
take ages to thaw out.
this way they are free flowing like rice, and you can take as many or as
little as you need easily.

BTW, if you freeze live maggots (which i always do after a session, if i've
any left), when you come to use them, some will still be alive!

David Lee
October 13th, 2003, 10:42 PM
I do it all the time. They are great up here on the lochs when you really
need to get a big bed down, having enough trouble with the fish removing the
feed! Just stick them in double freezer bags, like I do, and you won't go
far wrong. I believe Sensas do some sort of Liquid Spray, Nitrogen or Oxygen
I think. Try
http://www.matchangler.com/Pages/DeclicFolder/Deadbaits/deadgood.html for
some match oriented ideas. I suppose I am a matchman after all..... Sorry
about the lack of posts, I got a new comp recently and I have been on
overload never mind installing Outlook. ALso, excuse the bad grammar, been
up all day and night. I'm coming down to Lonsdale this week;
holiday.:D:D:D:D Finished 3rd in National this year though.

Dave

www.cscac.co.uk