PDA

View Full Version : News to me!

Izaak
October 21st, 2003, 12:36 PM
I was reading all about the British Record (rod caught) Fish Committee at
http://www.nfsa.org.uk/brfc/brfc_procedures.htm and came across this -

The following are rare or threatened species in Great Britain and are
protected under the provisions of the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981)
and later Orders. This protection results in it being an offence to capture
any of these fishes intentionally. Anglers who believe that they may have
captured a specimen of any of these species are advised to unhook and
release the fish unharmed as soon as possible after capture.
Allis shad Alosa alosa
Burbot Lota lota
Schelly, powan, or gwyniad Coregonus lavaretus
Sturgeon Acipenser sturio
Vendace Coregonus albula

Thought I'd mention it as, if I recall, someone recently said he was going
Sturgeon fishing.

Phil.L
October 21st, 2003, 02:35 PM
:
: The following are rare or threatened species in Great Britain and are
: protected under the provisions of the Wildlife and Countryside Act
: (1981) and later Orders. This protection results in it being an
: offence to capture any of these fishes intentionally. Anglers who
: believe that they may have captured a specimen of any of these
: species are advised to unhook and release the fish unharmed as soon
: as possible after capture. Allis shad
: Alosa alosa Burbot Lota lota
: Schelly, powan, or gwyniad Coregonus lavaretus
: Sturgeon Acipenser sturio
: Vendace Coregonus albula
:
: Thought I'd mention it as, if I recall, someone recently said he was
: going Sturgeon fishing.

I go sturgeon fishing regularly, the entire fishery is known for its
excellent sturgeon fishing, and thats what the majority of anglers are
hoping to catch.
I'm not sure if this protection order covers this particular type of
sturgeon though, as i was reading an environment agency newsletter last year
which had a piece on sturgeon, apparently they arent native fish of this
country and if you want to stock them at your fishery, it has to be checked
for leaks etc by the EA, so that any spawn etc dosent make its way into
natural waterways.

I'll try to dig it out..

Izaak
October 21st, 2003, 03:21 PM
"Phil.L" > wrote in message
> I go sturgeon fishing regularly, the entire fishery is known for its
> excellent sturgeon fishing, and thats what the majority of anglers are
> hoping to catch.
> I'm not sure if this protection order covers this particular type of
> sturgeon though, as i was reading an environment agency newsletter last
year
> which had a piece on sturgeon, apparently they arent native fish of this
> country and if you want to stock them at your fishery, it has to be
checked
> for leaks etc by the EA, so that any spawn etc dosent make its way into
> natural waterways.

I've done a bit more digging.
Whitaker's Almanack 2003 says that the Atlantic (also called Common)
sturgeon Acipenser Sturio is the one that is protected (it's listed under
Schedule 5 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1971). Anything listed under
schedule 5 (the list was last updated in 1998) is protected by schedule 9 of
the same act. Schedule 9 says "It is an offence to kill, injure, take,
possess or sell (whether alive or dead) any animal included in Schedule 5 of
the Act and to disturb its place of shelter and protection or to destroy
that place".
There are many other varieties of sturgeon though so maybe the ones you are
after are different altogether as I doubt the EA would let any fishery stock
a protected species.

Phil.L
October 21st, 2003, 03:50 PM
Izaak wrote:
: "Phil.L" > wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Thats, probably it!
Incidentally, after i'd read the article about their containment, i had a
closer look at the fishery, and its actually situated high up, on a hill,
and not dug out of the existing ground, but built on the flat, with steep
walls of clay (its mostly 10-12 ft deep!) so if there ever was a leak, the
water would merely seep into the surrounding fields, as there's no
streams/rivers/canals for quite a distance.
I think it was purposely built for sturgeoon, because its been open for
about 20 yrs and theres some immense fish in there - even the little ones at
2 or 3 lbs, fight like hell and the big ones, up to 20lbs are FIVE feet
long!
the'yre a strange fish having their bone structure on the outside, so
they're stiff (like a dolphin type of skin with no scales), and they remind
me of sharks (except they dont have fangs!)
the best thing about 'em is that they feed vociferously all year round, so
you can get as many in December as you would in July :-)))

Gray
October 21st, 2003, 07:54 PM
I seem to remember
that if anyone caught a Burbot they were to keep it alive and contact the
local Water authority (Environment Agency ) for official ID and so they
could examine it was wanted ALIVE too

--
Regards
Gray
"Izaak" > wrote in message
> I was reading all about the British Record (rod caught) Fish Committee at
> http://www.nfsa.org.uk/brfc/brfc_procedures.htm and came across this -
>
> The following are rare or threatened species in Great Britain and are
> protected under the provisions of the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981)
> and later Orders. This protection results in it being an offence to
capture
> any of these fishes intentionally. Anglers who believe that they may have
> captured a specimen of any of these species are advised to unhook and
> release the fish unharmed as soon as possible after capture.
> Allis shad Alosa alosa
> Burbot Lota lota
> Schelly, powan, or gwyniad Coregonus lavaretus
> Sturgeon Acipenser sturio
> Vendace Coregonus albula
>
> Thought I'd mention it as, if I recall, someone recently said he was going
> Sturgeon fishing.

---