PDA

View Full Version : Playing Fish

THE BALL COX
October 23rd, 2003, 05:10 PM
Please help, i am relatively new to pole fishing and whilst fishing the other
day hooked sum big carp. However, i just could'nt manage to do anything with
them, my eleastic(size 16), just stretched out and the fish kept coming off!
Playing the smaller carp, i had no probs, can anyone please advised me as to
wot the best way to play/land bigger fish is.

TIA
Ballie

Ergo
October 23rd, 2003, 05:19 PM
THE BALL COX woith some frustration wrote:
> Please help, i am relatively new to pole fishing and whilst fishing
> the other day hooked sum big carp. However, i just could'nt manage to
> do anything with them, my eleastic(size 16), just stretched out and
> the fish kept coming off! Playing the smaller carp, i had no probs,
> can anyone please advised me as to wot the best way to play/land
> bigger fish is.

How many sections of your pole do you have the elastic through? I would
think that you need at least three. Just keep the pole low and sideways to
the fish. Don't do anything suddenly. If the fish are really big, can you
step up the elastic size. On some kits it's worth discarding the top section
altogether, and elasticate the next three. After that just maintain the
pressure andtry and steer the fish away from any snags. In the end the fish
will tire but it can take a while with a big 'un. I hope you are using an
unhooking mat and give the fish time to recover before returning it. HTH
lol

--
Ergo ²°°³
A day without sunshine is like, well, night!

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Matt \(IS Team\)
October 23rd, 2003, 07:23 PM
"Ergo" > wrote in message
> THE BALL COX woith some frustration wrote:
> > Please help, i am relatively new to pole fishing and whilst fishing
> > the other day hooked sum big carp. However, i just could'nt manage to
> > do anything with them, my eleastic(size 16), just stretched out and
> > the fish kept coming off! Playing the smaller carp, i had no probs,
> > can anyone please advised me as to wot the best way to play/land
> > bigger fish is.
>
> How many sections of your pole do you have the elastic through? I would
> think that you need at least three. Just keep the pole low and sideways to
> the fish. Don't do anything suddenly. If the fish are really big, can you
> step up the elastic size. On some kits it's worth discarding the top
section
> altogether, and elasticate the next three. After that just maintain the
> pressure andtry and steer the fish away from any snags. In the end the
fish
> will tire but it can take a while with a big 'un. I hope you are using an
> unhooking mat and give the fish time to recover before returning it. HTH
> lol

Also, if you are fishing quite close, have the rest of your pole ready to
attach and ship out. Often getting above the fish will help.
Don't be too eager to ship back as a large carp will sometimes "wake-up"
after a couple of minutes and make one hell of a run and if you only your
top kit, something will break, usually the line, but if you're unlucky: your
pole!

David Lee
October 25th, 2003, 10:32 PM
I'd be afraid if I were you. Size 16 elastic is a monster tamer. IMO people
use elastics that are over the odds. Example: would you use 20lb line for
6lb carp? I didn't think so. Same idea. You just gotta let 'em run! Although
you may hook these beasts and panic, try to get them in as if they were a
pastie, DON'T! It IS possible to land them on a size 3 never mind a 16, so
always remember you are in control. However ;

One of the fisheries here, Magiscroft, has a lake where the bites come real
fast from mainly 3oz+ orfe/ide and 3oz+ carp. So, you use fairly light
elastics. ie. 3-4 though, sometimes it is possible to hook 2lb carp. I use
3/4lb hooklenghts - easy to break if you are clumsy! It is like an oval
doughnut shape, with a thin island, which is lined with sedges. As soon as
you hook one, it bolts. This is fine with a 4oz carp, but the big ones can
be difficult. However, you just need confidence. In yourself, and your
tackle
I would be confident netting a 10lber in 2 mins on a 6 elastic. Read AT
Adavced if you don't believe me. And if you are not confident, let it run
about, and run after it if need be. I have often seen a guy bolting after a
5lb bream that went for his double squat intended for a 2oz roach!

Sorry if this seems a load of crap, im really tired!
Dave
www.cscac.co.uk

Confidence my friends!