PDA

View Full Version : Back to Basics

dlchinery
October 26th, 2003, 08:18 AM
I was a match fisherman until about 10 years ago until the Carp bug hit me.I
have since done no other fishing apart from sitting behind my buzzers
waiting for a run.Until yesterday....
I decided to get the old match gear out and go down to the tidal River Frome
at Wareham(Dorset).I fished the free strech called the "Towpath" apart from
a morning frost the conditions were perfect .I set up a light stick float
with maggot and cast as bait and an very small 18 hook.I managed to get
about 10lb of roach and dace.Some of the roach were up to a pound and I
even had an 12oz dace.I had really forgotten what brilliant fun stick float
fishing was and how well roach and dace fight in the current.I going agin
soon.

Ergo
October 26th, 2003, 08:32 AM
dlchinery wrote:
> I was a match fisherman until about 10 years ago until the Carp bug
> hit me.I have since done no other fishing apart from sitting behind
> my buzzers waiting for a run.Until yesterday....
> I decided to get the old match gear out and go down to the tidal
> River Frome at Wareham(Dorset).I fished the free strech called the
> "Towpath" apart from a morning frost the conditions were perfect .I
> set up a light stick float with maggot and cast as bait and an very
> small 18 hook.I managed to get about 10lb of roach and dace.Some of
> the roach were up to a pound and I even had an 12oz dace.I had
> really forgotten what brilliant fun stick float fishing was and how
> well roach and dace fight in the current.I going agin soon.

Well done and welcome back from the dark side. :) Now do it properly and buy
yourself a good pole. lol

--
Ergo ²°°³
A day without sunshine is like, well, night!

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Danny
October 26th, 2003, 03:01 PM
I must admit, I get bored sometimes of catching the same fish and do the
same. Perch are still good little fighters for their size aswell.

Mind you, you can't beat Carp for a good fight. I went Piking yesterday.
Only had one run, and was disappointed with the fight it gave. Spoilt by
Carp?

"dlchinery" > wrote in message
> I was a match fisherman until about 10 years ago until the Carp bug hit
me.I
> have since done no other fishing apart from sitting behind my buzzers
> waiting for a run.Until yesterday....
> I decided to get the old match gear out and go down to the tidal River
Frome
> at Wareham(Dorset).I fished the free strech called the "Towpath" apart
from
> a morning frost the conditions were perfect .I set up a light stick float
> with maggot and cast as bait and an very small 18 hook.I managed to get
> about 10lb of roach and dace.Some of the roach were up to a pound and I
> even had an 12oz dace.I had really forgotten what brilliant fun stick
float
> fishing was and how well roach and dace fight in the current.I going agin
> soon.

Derek.Moody
October 26th, 2003, 03:08 PM
In article >, dlchinery
> wrote:

> I decided to get the old match gear out and go down to the tidal River Frome
> at Wareham(Dorset).I fished the free strech called the "Towpath" apart from
> a morning frost the conditions were perfect .I set up a light stick float
> with maggot and cast as bait and an very small 18 hook.I managed to get
> about 10lb of roach and dace.Some of the roach were up to a pound and I
> even had an 12oz dace.I had really forgotten what brilliant fun stick float
> fishing was and how well roach and dace fight in the current.I going agin
> soon.

Attaboy :-)

You should be able to go up a size or two - #12 is about right and use bread
- especially downstream of the duck-feeding area. Be prepared to trot
thirty yards or so as the better fish often hang back. There are some
seriously big roach caught there, most years 3lb fish are taken.

You need to keep careful track of the tides too. Several swims only fish at
certain depths/stages.

Cheerio,

--

Derek.Moody
October 26th, 2003, 04:18 PM
In article >, Danny
> wrote:
> I must admit, I get bored sometimes of catching the same fish and do the
> same. Perch are still good little fighters for their size aswell.
>
> Mind you, you can't beat Carp for a good fight. I went Piking yesterday.
> Only had one run, and was disappointed with the fight it gave. Spoilt by
> Carp?

Neither are very good fighters, it's only their size that lets them pull the
string so hard. OK - Small summer pike do fight a bit if you are using
suitable tackle but they tire quickly.

If only dace grew bigger...

Cheerio,

--

Richard
October 26th, 2003, 04:47 PM
"Ergo" > wrote in message
> dlchinery wrote:
> > I was a match fisherman until about 10 years ago until the Carp bug
> > hit me.I have since done no other fishing apart from sitting behind
> > my buzzers waiting for a run.Until yesterday....
> > I decided to get the old match gear out and go down to the tidal
> > River Frome at Wareham(Dorset).I fished the free strech called the
> > "Towpath" apart from a morning frost the conditions were perfect .I
> > set up a light stick float with maggot and cast as bait and an very
> > small 18 hook.I managed to get about 10lb of roach and dace.Some of
> > the roach were up to a pound and I even had an 12oz dace.I had
> > really forgotten what brilliant fun stick float fishing was and how
> > well roach and dace fight in the current.I going agin soon.
>
> Well done and welcome back from the dark side. :) Now do it properly and
buy
> yourself a good pole. lol

and join one of the other 'dark sides' ;o) ....... Richard

---

Roger
October 27th, 2003, 05:03 PM
<snip>