PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Habits Pike/Carp

Danny
October 26th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Hi.

What are the reasons why Carp don't feed much in the Winter, and Pike don't
feed much in the Summer?

Or is it Myth?

Izaak
October 26th, 2003, 02:27 PM
"Danny" > wrote in message
> What are the reasons why Carp don't feed much in the Winter

OK, I've just typed this out without reference to any books or info sources
so, if I'm talking rubbish, I'll happily accept being shot down by others.
These are just my 'first-thought' opinions.

Basically I think it's for three reasons.
1. There is much less food available during the winter months so, to save
energy, point 3. happens.
2. A lot of the natural cover has died down leaving them feeling exposed
thus reducing their inclination to 'patrol'.
3. Their metabolism slows and they spend much time in a torpor (not quite
hibernation but getting on that way)
Re point 1. I believe that carp in heavily fished waters, with plenty of
groundbait etc being chucked in all the time, are tending to be more active
during periods when you wouldn't expect them to be because of the additional
food supply.

> and Pike don't feed much in the Summer?
> Or is it Myth?

I think this is 'probably' myth because ....
1. Most anglers don't bother with pike fishing until October or thereabouts
so less catches are reported in the warm months.
2. The warm months are those when prey are most prolific, any sensible pike
isn't going to go on a diet during that time. I recall plenty of occasions
when bringing in a roach or other smallish fish (in summer) and a pike has
followed it to the net. Also, my keepnet has been attacked by pike on quite
a few occasions, again in summer. They are there alright - and hungry.

Derek.Moody
October 26th, 2003, 03:09 PM
In article >, Danny
> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> What are the reasons why Carp don't feed much in the Winter, and Pike don't
> feed much in the Summer?

Neither feed as much in the winter as they do in summer. Their metabolism
is temperature dependant and activity follows the season.

Cheerio,

--

Richard
October 26th, 2003, 03:42 PM
"Danny" > wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> What are the reasons why Carp don't feed much in the Winter, and Pike
don't
> feed much in the Summer?
>
> Or is it Myth?

The pike bit Ime is certainly a myth .... not one I have heard either. Carp
however are much less active in the winter and tend to 'hole up' in small
areas. Their metabolism slows up (I think this starts to happen when the
water temp. approaches about 50) and they do not need as much or the same
food content. So even your approach must change in colder months to secure
success. If you could spend a few months around my pond and watch the
feeding intensity of that species you would soon get the message loud and
clear. I often pop out there and try them before deciding on my tactics re
carp fishing ... or whether I will carp fish at all at that particular time.
There is a short (very short) article at the following addy about this topic
..... but you could say so very much more. However, I am sure you will get
the drift....... I don't agree with all of it, and it misses completely some
important 'bits' but worth a quick read ..... here it is

http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,83-1076632,00.html

BTW I have taken seven pike in one afternoon on lure during the summer.

Cheers ....... Richard

---

leigh holman
October 31st, 2003, 11:43 AM

> OK, I've just typed this out without reference to any books or info
sources
> so, if I'm talking rubbish, I'll happily accept being shot down by others.
> These are just my 'first-thought' opinions.
>
> Basically I think it's for three reasons.
> 1. There is much less food available during the winter months so, to save
> energy, point 3. happens.

Im not sure this is true. most aquatic insects spend the winter in the
lavae/pupa stages, ie caddise grubs, blood worm, damsel nymph ect.
they then hatch out into the winged adult in spring/ early summer. when
they lay there eggs.
As some of these insects spend 2 years in the lavae stage then winter
is the time of year when there is more natural food around.