PDA

View Full Version : waggler fishing

Johnny5
October 31st, 2003, 09:23 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have a solution to line twist on fine hooklengths when waggler
fishing? When fishing the waggler at distance and using hooklengths of 1lb
to 2.5lbs I get a lot of line twist after a while which drives me nuts.

Thank's.

The Fishcatcher
October 31st, 2003, 10:42 PM
One solution, use a micro-swivel between your mainline and hooklength.

The Fishcatcher

"Johnny5" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a solution to line twist on fine hooklengths when
waggler
> fishing? When fishing the waggler at distance and using hooklengths of
1lb
> to 2.5lbs I get a lot of line twist after a while which drives me nuts.
>
> Thank's.

dNOfSPAMn
November 1st, 2003, 12:15 AM
If your using double maggot, this may be the problem.
If you must use double maggot hook them through opposite ends, i.e. head to
tail and this will reduce it a bit.

David.

"Johnny5" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a solution to line twist on fine hooklengths when
waggler
> fishing? When fishing the waggler at distance and using hooklengths of
1lb
> to 2.5lbs I get a lot of line twist after a while which drives me nuts.
>
> Thank's.

Derek.Moody
November 1st, 2003, 12:43 AM
In article >, Johnny5
> wrote:

> Does anyone have a solution to line twist on fine hooklengths when waggler
> fishing? When fishing the waggler at distance and using hooklengths of 1lb
> to 2.5lbs I get a lot of line twist after a while which drives me nuts.

I wouldn't dream of fishing that fine, however if you must...

The usual reason for a trotted hooklength twizzling up is an unbalanced bait
which remains on the hook on the retrieve and spins. Experiment: If you get
the effect with maggot or worm baits do you get it with breadflake in the
same swim if you strike off the bait before retrieving?

If so then try mounting your worm/maggot in different positions until the
twizzling stops.

Cheerio,

--

Gray
November 1st, 2003, 11:08 AM
Never had that problem
BUT are you baits spinning??
have you just pulled you hooklength off the spool instead of unwinding??
do you use a micro /small swivel as a joint between main and hooklenght??

--
Regards
Gray

http://www.madcaravanner.co.uk

"Johnny5" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a solution to line twist on fine hooklengths when
waggler
> fishing? When fishing the waggler at distance and using hooklengths of
1lb
> to 2.5lbs I get a lot of line twist after a while which drives me nuts.
>
> Thank's.

---

David Lee
November 1st, 2003, 01:22 PM
Why the hell would you fish with a 1lb hooklength at distance? I am preety
hot on the slider and big wag here on massive lochs, and I would NEVER use a
1lb hooklength at 50yds+ and I fish at 100yds regularly. You will lose fish
on the strike, and reallly there is never any use for them. TBH, i dont
evenuse hooklenghts on this circuit, just fish straight through with
something like feeling. How far are you fishing? If you ever use a
microswivel, remember that they weigh about the saame as a No.8 shot. Sorry
if I sound like a wet old blanket! (i.e. Derek ;-) just kidding!

Dave

www.cscac.co.uk

"Johnny5" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a solution to line twist on fine hooklengths when
waggler
> fishing? When fishing the waggler at distance and using hooklengths of
1lb
> to 2.5lbs I get a lot of line twist after a while which drives me nuts.
>
> Thank's.

Johnny5
November 1st, 2003, 05:04 PM
Hi,

When fishing the Warwicshire Avon and the river Severn in winter it is
nesecary to go as fine as 1lb hooklength and size 22 hooks to get bites,
mainly from Roach upto 6oz, I rarely get broken on the strike, mainly due to
the size fish and using a quality rod helps, I currently use the13ft Drennan
im8 super waggler rod which is a fantastic tool, I fish a lot of matches and
am always at the top end of the results after the weigh in, it's just this
line twisting that annoys me after a while, I will try those micro swivels
and see if they help though, I will try anything once.

Thank's for all the replies.
"Johnny5" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a solution to line twist on fine hooklengths when
waggler
> fishing? When fishing the waggler at distance and using hooklengths of
1lb
> to 2.5lbs I get a lot of line twist after a while which drives me nuts.
>
> Thank's.

Derek.Moody
November 2nd, 2003, 01:44 PM
In article >, David Lee
> wrote:
> Why the hell would you fish with a 1lb hooklength at distance? I am preety
> hot on the slider and big wag here on massive lochs, and I would NEVER use a
> 1lb hooklength at 50yds+ and I fish at 100yds regularly. You will lose fish
> on the strike, and reallly there is never any use for them. TBH, i dont
> evenuse hooklenghts on this circuit, just fish straight through with
> something like feeling. How far are you fishing? If you ever use a
> microswivel, remember that they weigh about the saame as a No.8 shot. Sorry
> if I sound like a wet old blanket! (i.e. Derek ;-) just kidding!

Hummph.

A #8 shouldn't make any noticeable difference at range - you'll probably
need more than a BB worth of float above the surface just to be visible.

Twizzling up is a problem I associate with stick/quill floats in low water.
By the time full winter flows are established 3 or 4 lb line straight
through is usual and it resists the twist.

As you say, fishing fine at 50yds is ridiculous.

Cheerio,

--

David Lee
November 2nd, 2003, 02:56 PM
I am sorry Johnny. The way you were talking I thought that you would be
fishing at "distance"!. Woops! I appreciate that it is important in winter
to use fine tackle. How do you attach your hooklenghts? A loop to loop may
solve it. Or perhaps using 5lb line, of a very low diameter, ie. Sensas
Feeling straight through on backing? However, be prepared to pay about £7
for 100m!

Dave
www.cscac.co.uk

"Johnny5" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> When fishing the Warwicshire Avon and the river Severn in winter it is
> nesecary to go as fine as 1lb hooklength and size 22 hooks to get bites,
> mainly from Roach upto 6oz, I rarely get broken on the strike, mainly due
> the size fish and using a quality rod helps, I currently use the13ft
Drennan
> im8 super waggler rod which is a fantastic tool, I fish a lot of matches
and
> am always at the top end of the results after the weigh in, it's just this
> line twisting that annoys me after a while, I will try those micro swivels
> and see if they help though, I will try anything once.
>
> Thank's for all the replies.
> "Johnny5" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone have a solution to line twist on fine hooklengths when
> waggler
> > fishing? When fishing the waggler at distance and using hooklengths of
> 1lb
> > to 2.5lbs I get a lot of line twist after a while which drives me nuts.
> >
> > Thank's.

Johnny5
November 2nd, 2003, 08:34 PM
I never said I fished the waggler at 50 yards, but I have done it at 30
yards with fine tackle and managed it very well indeed apart from the line
twist, and my match results speak for themselves.
"Derek.Moody" > wrote in message
> In article >, David Lee
> > wrote:
> > Why the hell would you fish with a 1lb hooklength at distance? I am
preety
> > hot on the slider and big wag here on massive lochs, and I would NEVER
use a
> > 1lb hooklength at 50yds+ and I fish at 100yds regularly. You will lose
fish
> > on the strike, and reallly there is never any use for them. TBH, i dont
> > evenuse hooklenghts on this circuit, just fish straight through with
> > something like feeling. How far are you fishing? If you ever use a
> > microswivel, remember that they weigh about the saame as a No.8 shot.
Sorry
> > if I sound like a wet old blanket! (i.e. Derek ;-) just kidding!
>
> Hummph.
>
> A #8 shouldn't make any noticeable difference at range - you'll probably
> need more than a BB worth of float above the surface just to be visible.
>
> Twizzling up is a problem I associate with stick/quill floats in low
water.
> By the time full winter flows are established 3 or 4 lb line straight
> through is usual and it resists the twist.
>
> As you say, fishing fine at 50yds is ridiculous.
>
> Cheerio,
>
> --

Derek.Moody
November 3rd, 2003, 01:19 PM
In article >, Johnny5
> wrote:

<re-ordered to convention>

> "Derek.Moody" > wrote in message
> > In article >, David Lee
> > > wrote:
> > > Why the hell would you fish with a 1lb hooklength at distance? I am
> preety
> > > hot on the slider and big wag here on massive lochs, and I would NEVER
> use a
> > > 1lb hooklength at 50yds+ and I fish at 100yds regularly. You will lose
> fish

> > A #8 shouldn't make any noticeable difference at range - you'll probably
> > need more than a BB worth of float above the surface just to be visible.
> >
> > Twizzling up is a problem I associate with stick/quill floats in low
> water.
> > By the time full winter flows are established 3 or 4 lb line straight
> > through is usual and it resists the twist.
> >
> > As you say, fishing fine at 50yds is ridiculous.

> I never said I fished the waggler at 50 yards, but I have done it at 30

True - you didn't - now that the post has been re-ordered you should be able
to see the attribution. You simply said 'at distance' without specifying.
Wagglers don't work well at distance in any case, it's possible to trot a
stick or quill 50 yards at a pinch but half that is pushing waggler
technique in any but calm, stillwater conditions.

In general it's not worth fishing for small stuff at more than a couple of
rod lengths, either move closer or change swim. Bigger fish may be worth
the effort but you don't fish fine for big fish until every other option has
failed. To go back to the long-trotting example; you wouldn't trot 20+ yards
unless the fish were expected to go at least a pound each with the
occasional larger one - 3lb line is about the minimum and you might go to 6.

> yards with fine tackle and managed it very well indeed apart from the line
> twist, and my match results speak for themselves.

But you are match fishing - you might have said* btw. So you have scared the
decent fish out of the swim and the small-fry are hugging the far bank.
You need to look at your bait - it's unbalanced, the suggestion of hooking
one maggot of a pair the other way up is a good one, try other
orientations. Swivels address the symptom rather than the cause and such
fine lines are unlikely to be stiff enough to turn them.

Cheerio,

* because match-fishing has strange requirements completely divorced from
normal angling and it may confuse lurking beginners who have no need of such
techniques.