PDA

View Full Version : Pike plugs.

November 2nd, 2003, 05:46 PM
Any recommendations for the best place to go for low prices on pike plugs?
(online)

'cos at the rate I'm losing them I'll need a second mortgage soon.

SS.

Keith Hampson
November 2nd, 2003, 06:12 PM
Harris angling company are always a bet however a lot of the stuff is not
dead cheap, but they do have many items in the sale all the time and you can
drop on some good deals, you may also find cheap plugs on e-bay but you
might be waiting ages if you are after a specific plug.

"s" replace webmaster with simon to reply.> wrote
in message ...
> Any recommendations for the best place to go for low prices on pike plugs?
> (online)
>
> 'cos at the rate I'm losing them I'll need a second mortgage soon.
>
> SS.

November 2nd, 2003, 06:45 PM
I can't believe the price that they get away with charging for plugs!!

Phil.L
November 2nd, 2003, 08:57 PM
s wrote:
: I can't believe the price that they get away with charging for plugs!!

Why not make your own?
A packet of big treble hooks, some balsa dowelling from the craft shop and
some paint and you can make dozens for a few quid.

November 2nd, 2003, 11:08 PM
I think thats the way I may be heading....

I just can't believe that they have the nerve to market them a 7 - 8 - 9 -
10 pounds or more each....!

or that people are daft enough to pay it.

ss

BobH
November 3rd, 2003, 04:37 PM
On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 17:46:56 -0000, "s"
replace webmaster with simon to reply.> wrote:

>Any recommendations for the best place to go for low prices on pike plugs?
>(online)
>
>'cos at the rate I'm losing them I'll need a second mortgage soon.
>
>SS.

If you find your losing a lot of lures why not try using a braided
main line? something along the lines of 40 or 50lb power pro. The
braid will last a lot longer than mono so the initial high cost of
braid will even itself out in the long run. You could also try a
softer hook pattern this will allow you to pull the lure out of most
snags.

Bob

November 3rd, 2003, 05:36 PM
would you reccomend a particular softer hook pattern?

ss

BobH
November 4th, 2003, 03:33 PM
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:36:40 -0000, "s"
replace webmaster with simon to reply.> wrote:

>would you reccomend a particular softer hook pattern?

Mustad 3549, although they are supposed to be extra strong
they will bend enough to pull them out of a snag, that is providing it
is snaged with the hook and not the body of the lure.

BTW Its a good idea to change the hooks if they have been straightend
when pulled out of a snag..........

Hope that helps

Bob

Alec Powell
November 5th, 2003, 12:18 PM
On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Phil.L, gave forth these words of wisdom:
>Why not make your own?
>A packet of big treble hooks, some balsa dowelling from the craft shop and
>some paint and you can make dozens for a few quid.
Good advice Phil.
SS<?>, Try to get hold of:
The Art of Lure Fishing by Charlie Bethell
The Crowood Press Ltd.
Ramsbury,
Marlborough,
Wiltshire.
SN8 2HR
ISBN 1 85223 797 X
Excellent book, full of info on lure fishing and plug making.
Cheers,
Alec Powell
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

http://www.prole.demon.co.uk