PDA

View Full Version : 525 gs or 525 MAG

Wideangle
October 5th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Can anybody advise on these reels, which is the best value.

Handy Andy
October 6th, 2003, 08:55 AM
If you have to ask this question, then you would do well to get the 'plain'
old 525. If you were a competent caster, then the 525 mag could be the
answer. - BUT - You need to be a very good caster and quite competent
at reel tuning. I do have both and have little to no trouble with them.
Go to http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/ for more info.
Then do a search on Google Groups.......loads of back mail ALL ABOUT the
Penn 525MAG !!! look and you will learn............
Personally ... for casting ,the ABU mag6500 reels can't be beat. IMHO, but
they don't have 'grunt' like the Penn 525 and don't make such a good sea
reel.
So final summary. ABU 6500 mag for casting power (easy to set up - without
taking it apart !)
Plain Penn 525 for general sea fishing. Penn 525 MAG for competent casting
with 'grunt'.

"Wideangle" > wrote in message
> Can anybody advise on these reels, which is the best value.

Lawrence Sunley
October 10th, 2003, 10:50 PM
"Handy Andy" > wrote in message
> If you have to ask this question, then you would do well to get the
'plain'
> old 525. If you were a competent caster, then the 525 mag could be the
> answer.

I went straight from fixed spools to 525 mags. I recommend the occasional
clean and re-oil but they are good reels and haven't let me down. to date I
have only had 2 krakoffs and that has been down to poor technique rather
than the reels. Abus are probably better but the 525's feel more solid (if
slightly less finished).

I am relatively new to fishing having only started 18 months ago and I am
not a big caster (135yds was my only measured cast). however, with a little
common sense the 525 mag is a good reel. I tend to leave the mags on full
and thumb the side of the spool on the less second of the cast to prevent
overruns. it has a good retrieve ratio and a power handle as standard. If
however you want something a little more forgiving and don't need such a
powerful reel, you may want to try the Daiwa 7HT.