PDA

View Full Version : Books on general beachcasting techniques

Alec Powell
October 16th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Hi guys,
Pretty much a newcomer to beachcasting and would appreciate any
recommendations on suitable bedtime reading matter on the subject.
Will hopefully be fishing the Dorset coast in the not too distant
future.
Cheers,
Alec Powell
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

Bill
October 16th, 2003, 06:05 PM
"Alec Powell" > wrote in message
> Hi guys,
> Pretty much a newcomer to beachcasting and would appreciate any
> recommendations on suitable bedtime reading matter on the subject.

Playboy. Definitely Playboy. More cod than you can handle.

Bill

Alec Powell
October 16th, 2003, 08:14 PM
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Bill, gave forth these words of wisdom:
>Playboy. Definitely Playboy. More cod than you can handle.
>
>Bill
Good idea Bill, but I think SWMBO would not go too much on the idea :-)
But if you have any "sensible" suggestions it might
help.................
Alec
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

Bill
October 17th, 2003, 08:46 AM
"Alec Powell" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Bill, gave forth these words of wisdom:
> >Playboy. Definitely Playboy. More cod than you can handle.
> >
> >Bill
> Good idea Bill, but I think SWMBO would not go too much on the idea :-)
> But if you have any "sensible" suggestions it might
> help.................

I didn't have, hence my idiocy!

A book I enjoy reading is just called "Fishing". It covers sea, coarse and
fly, it's well illustratedand has a few useful bits. I don't know if it's
still in print. It's ISBN is
1-85348-252-8

A few years ago there was one of those weekly save the magazines they make a
book issues. I have no idea of the name, but I have often seen them
complete in the binders at boot sales for a couple of quid.

Charity shops and boot sales are an excellent source for fishing books.
Alas my local charity shop will not stock Playboy!

Tight lines

Bill

Skipper
October 17th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Try:

1. The Complete Guide to Fishing Skills by Tony Wheldon (ISBN 1-84188-167-8)
2. The Complete Book of Fishing by Trevor Housby, Arthur Oglesby and John
Wilson (ISBN 0-75370-281-9)
3. The Anglers Guide to Sea Fishing by Bill Howes (ISBN 1-84065-107-5)

The first two books cover sea, game and course fishing so may contain a lot
of unwanted material. However, they are both good books and offer a solid
all-round view of beach fishing.

Personally, I like Bill Howes book (3) and often return to it to look up
species-specific material.

I hope this has helped.

--

Skipper