PDA

View Full Version : Re: Retiring to the coast

Derek.Moody
October 30th, 2003, 11:22 AM
In article >, J L Williams
> wrote:

<much snipped>
> I want to get a boat that will allow me to moor it in a harbour in the

> I would also want to go out with others, perhaps crewing or whatever, to
> gain some experince before I get my own boat. Something that's big

> I have taken the RYA shorebased day skippers course and the VHF
> telephony cert. This has given me some insight into it but that's all. I

OK, looks like you're taking the sensible course.

Most ports have a yacht/boat club of some sort and angling clubs usually
have boat sections - join one of these and you will find like-minded souls.
Crewing will also help you to learn local waters before you venture out on
your own.

Some ports are restricted to or offer special rates to local residents -
usually that means full council tax payers, second-home owners don't get the
priviledge. Many ports have waiting list for berths, generally the popular
small dayboat sized slots are in shortest supply.

> am taking a week's holiday to look around Weymouth area in two weeks
> time. Wont be moving until.......spring 2004 earliest.

Wemouth is a fine port but the coucil have a huge deficit and are looking
every which way for extra funds. Harbour users are being stung badly and
mooring fees are set to rise dramatically in the near future. A great many
locals are giving up or moving their boats elsewhere - some to Poole, others
to chain and sinker moorings in Portland Harbour.

> What advice would the experienced peeps give?

If you have money now but don't expect a large pension (though you will have
-time-) then a drying mooring in Devon or Cornwall might be worth
considering. You pay a lot for 24/7/52 access to the sea but on those
occasions when you need to buck the tide you will (once you've settled in)
be able to blag an occasional overnight berth.

In the winter months when the fair weather salors have gone you should be
able to get a much discounted alongside berth which will be invaluable in
the shorter days when waiting for the tide is going to waste too much
daylight.

Hth, Cheerio,