PDA

View Full Version : Oh yeah, the '04 NWC is gonna be REAL interesting now.....

Fritz Nordengren
September 24th, 2003, 05:35 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/09/24/snakeheads.ap/index.html

Charles B. Summers
September 24th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Like that's going to hurt anything... HA!

The son-of-a-gun will STARVE to death on Boom Lake!

"Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/09/24/snakeheads.ap/index.html

BassMr.
September 24th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Why import something like that into this country for aquarium use or
anything else if it can be detrimental to native fishes?
It sure is ugly,like a bowfin on steroids!

Chuck Coger
September 24th, 2003, 08:06 PM
I was just going through my old Bassmasters Mags and read the article about
the ones in Maryland this very morning, talk about wierd.

I can't imagine why anyone would import these ugly snakesheads. Would they
truly be a fish you would want in a tank?
Talk about being irresponsible, it's ashame they cant trace it back to the
sap that let them go. There is a canal in Broward county Florida that has a
different species that is not tolerant to the cold at all, so they will be
contained to southern Florida. Although the Northern Species are in the St.
Johns River here in Florida and no one really knows how many.

They never said in the article if it was the Northern species or not, which
apparently is slightly more tolerant to the cold than any other snakeshead
species, anyone know for sure if it was or wasn't?

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"BassMr." > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Why import something like that into this country for aquarium use or
> anything else if it can be detrimental to native fishes?
> It sure is ugly,like a bowfin on steroids!

RichZ
September 24th, 2003, 11:55 PM
BassMr. wrote:
> Why import something like that into this country for aquarium use or
> anything else if it can be detrimental to native fishes?

Actually, the northern snakehead -- the one that was the big, overblown
story last summer -- isn't imported for aquariums. It's imported for food.
Fresh snakeheads are a popular dish among certain Oriental cultures, and
they are sold live in some vietnamese markets.

Despite all the brouhaha generated by the over reaction of the press last
year, snakeheads had been discovered in the wild in at least 7 different
states prior to the Maryland incident. Most of the furor was created by
the Washington Post.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Shawn
September 25th, 2003, 12:20 AM
"Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/09/24/snakeheads.ap/index.html

Damn! Right in my back yard! I'll be on The Rock this weekend and the way my
luck is running (everything having teeth) I'll catch the *******.

--
Early to Bed, Early to Rise,
Fish all Day, Make up Lies.

Shawn

go-bassn
September 25th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Actually Chuck, juvenile snakeheads make very interesting & yes, very cool
aquarium fare. The problems arise as they outgrow thier confines.

Warren
--
http://www.fishingworld.com/MesaTackleSupply/
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com http://www.secretweaponlures.com

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
> I was just going through my old Bassmasters Mags and read the article
about
> the ones in Maryland this very morning, talk about wierd.
>
> I can't imagine why anyone would import these ugly snakesheads. Would they
> truly be a fish you would want in a tank?
> Talk about being irresponsible, it's ashame they cant trace it back to the
> sap that let them go. There is a canal in Broward county Florida that has
> different species that is not tolerant to the cold at all, so they will be
> contained to southern Florida. Although the Northern Species are in the
St.
> Johns River here in Florida and no one really knows how many.
>
> They never said in the article if it was the Northern species or not,
which
> apparently is slightly more tolerant to the cold than any other snakeshead
> species, anyone know for sure if it was or wasn't?
>
> ---
> Chuck Coger
> http://www.fishin-pro.com
>

> "BassMr." > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > Why import something like that into this country for aquarium use or
> > anything else if it can be detrimental to native fishes?
> > It sure is ugly,like a bowfin on steroids!

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
September 25th, 2003, 02:10 PM
"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
> I was just going through my old Bassmasters Mags and read the article about
> the ones in Maryland this very morning, talk about wierd.
>
> I can't imagine why anyone would import these ugly snakesheads. Would they
> truly be a fish you would want in a tank?
> Talk about being irresponsible, it's ashame they cant trace it back to the
> sap that let them go. There is a canal in Broward county Florida that has a
> different species that is not tolerant to the cold at all, so they will be
> contained to southern Florida. Although the Northern Species are in the St.
> Johns River here in Florida and no one really knows how many.
>
> They never said in the article if it was the Northern species or not, which
> apparently is slightly more tolerant to the cold than any other snakeshead
> species, anyone know for sure if it was or wasn't?

I did a little research on the Snakehead. It seems that this southeast Asian fish can't tolerate
water temperatures much below 60 degrees. So I'm not too worried about them spreading. Heck, it's
39 degrees right now and the water temperatures are dropping fast. I was out the other day,
pre-fishing for a guide job and the water was 60 degrees.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers