PDA

View Full Version : Swansea breakwater

Steve
November 12th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Hi
Do anyone know what it cost's for a license to fish the short arm down in
Swansea docks, and is it better to fish there at high tide or is there water
there all time

How long does it take to process the application or can the license be
picked up on the day

TIA
Steve

Andy Lawson
November 12th, 2003, 08:43 PM
"Steve" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hi
> Do anyone know what it cost's for a license to fish the short arm down in
> Swansea docks, and is it better to fish there at high tide or is there
water
> there all time
>
> How long does it take to process the application or can the license be
> picked up on the day
>
> TIA
> Steve

Erm..... two answers here:

I'm fairly sure the Swansea breakwater has now been closed to angling!
Now that would be the East wall where you can cast out into open sea over
rocks on the one side or into the main dock entrance boat channel on the
other side.

A couple of friends of mine who use to fish there and had permits to do so,
were telling me that the Port Authority were closing it off for fishing and
no new permits would be sold. They believe it's something to due with the
legal implications of accidents. Apparently, someone cast out while a ferry
was coming in, cracked off a lead and it hit a child on the ferry!! Anyone
that could be so irresponsible to cast towards a ferry that was coming in to
port just astounds me!
Also, heard via a number of sources and may well just be story telling, some
guy went fishing there at night, which is NOT allowed, was washed off the
wall and died. There was talk of his wife subsequently suing the Port
Authority and winning!
You know the problems now with insurance claims, "Where there's blame
there's a claim". Well, it seems now, where there can be the possibility of
a claim, ban it!!!

The West wall however, is still open, but the cost is £25 per year and can
be purchased from British Associated Ports in Swansea.

The "Short Arm" though, is in Port Talbot and is also £25 per year. Not sure
where you get permits for here. The "Long Arm" also in Port Talbot has a
waiting list for membership.

I have been told that Mumbles Pier is a good bet for day fishing at £3 per
rod per day and has been fishing reasonably well. Again, only what I've been
told by my friends as I've not fished there myself.

HTH,

Andy

Steve
November 13th, 2003, 01:37 PM
"Andy Lawson" > wrote in message

> "Steve" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Hi
> > Do anyone know what it cost's for a license to fish the short arm down
in
> > Swansea docks, and is it better to fish there at high tide or is there
> water
> > there all time
> >
> > How long does it take to process the application or can the license be
> > picked up on the day
> >
> > TIA
> > Steve
> >

> Erm..... two answers here:
>
> I'm fairly sure the Swansea breakwater has now been closed to angling!
> Now that would be the East wall where you can cast out into open sea over
> rocks on the one side or into the main dock entrance boat channel on the
> other side.
>
> A couple of friends of mine who use to fish there and had permits to do
so,
> were telling me that the Port Authority were closing it off for fishing
and
> no new permits would be sold. They believe it's something to due with the
> legal implications of accidents. Apparently, someone cast out while a
ferry
> was coming in, cracked off a lead and it hit a child on the ferry!! Anyone
> that could be so irresponsible to cast towards a ferry that was coming in
> port just astounds me!
> Also, heard via a number of sources and may well just be story telling,
some
> guy went fishing there at night, which is NOT allowed, was washed off the
> wall and died. There was talk of his wife subsequently suing the Port
> Authority and winning!
> You know the problems now with insurance claims, "Where there's blame
> there's a claim". Well, it seems now, where there can be the possibility
of
> a claim, ban it!!!
>
> The West wall however, is still open, but the cost is £25 per year and can
> be purchased from British Associated Ports in Swansea.
>
> The "Short Arm" though, is in Port Talbot and is also £25 per year. Not
sure
> where you get permits for here. The "Long Arm" also in Port Talbot has a
> waiting list for membership.
>
> I have been told that Mumbles Pier is a good bet for day fishing at £3 per
> rod per day and has been fishing reasonably well. Again, only what I've
been
> told by my friends as I've not fished there myself.
>
> HTH,
>
> Andy

Cheers Andy - I must be mixing the names up of the Port Talbot and Swansea
venues. I was recently talking to someone who's fished at Swansea recently,
but as he's a OAP and had discount, but he couldn't remember what he paid

Steve

PhilG
November 13th, 2003, 06:11 PM
> > Hi
> > Do anyone know what it cost's for a license to fish the short arm down
in
> > Swansea docks, and is it better to fish there at high tide or is there
> water
> > there all time
> >
> > How long does it take to process the application or can the license be
> > picked up on the day
> >
> > TIA
> > Steve
> >

> Erm..... two answers here:
>
> I'm fairly sure the Swansea breakwater has now been closed to angling!
> Now that would be the East wall where you can cast out into open sea over
> rocks on the one side or into the main dock entrance boat channel on the
> other side.
>
> A couple of friends of mine who use to fish there and had permits to do
so,
> were telling me that the Port Authority were closing it off for fishing
and
> no new permits would be sold. They believe it's something to due with the
> legal implications of accidents. Apparently, someone cast out while a
ferry
> was coming in, cracked off a lead and it hit a child on the ferry!! Anyone
> that could be so irresponsible to cast towards a ferry that was coming in
> port just astounds me!
> Also, heard via a number of sources and may well just be story telling,
some
> guy went fishing there at night, which is NOT allowed, was washed off the
> wall and died. There was talk of his wife subsequently suing the Port
> Authority and winning!
> You know the problems now with insurance claims, "Where there's blame
> there's a claim". Well, it seems now, where there can be the possibility
of
> a claim, ban it!!!
>
> The West wall however, is still open, but the cost is £25 per year and can
> be purchased from British Associated Ports in Swansea.
>
> The "Short Arm" though, is in Port Talbot and is also £25 per year. Not
sure
> where you get permits for here. The "Long Arm" also in Port Talbot has a
> waiting list for membership.
>
> I have been told that Mumbles Pier is a good bet for day fishing at £3 per
> rod per day and has been fishing reasonably well. Again, only what I've
been
> told by my friends as I've not fished there myself.

I have fished Mumbles a lot recently but, at the moment all that is coming
off it is a few whiting, pouting and a couple of doggies and the occasional
lost macky. What I have heard from a few people is that it starts to fish
better around December!

> HTH,
>
> Andy

Steve Smith
November 19th, 2003, 02:46 PM
It is to do with a man being washed off the wall during an extremely high
tide and a storm 10 blowing. He himself did not sue anyone due to death.