PDA

View Full Version : Reel suggestion

Kurt Bimler
September 24th, 2003, 08:09 PM
I am looking at purchasing (actually my wife is buying it for my
birthday) my first baitcasting reel (and rod). I am primarily leaning
toward the Shimano Curado. From what I can tell, there is basically 2
models (regular & Super Free) and various gear ratios. This will be
used as an "all purpose" type of reel (knowing that there is really no
such thing) throwing everything that I can with it. My 3 questions
are:

1. Is the "Super Free" system worth the extra money?
2. What gear ratio should I be looking for?
3. Is there a better choice for about the same $$?

Thanks,

Kurt

Rich Conley
September 24th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Ive seen nothing but good reviews of the Curado, so ...take that for what
its worth...

I was recently in the same situation, but wanted to spend less cash $50
range for reel.
THe Abu Garcia 4600 cl3 was what was recommended to me. From what Ive
heard, the curado is definately a better reel..but it was twice the price,
and for my first one, I didnt want to spend the cash.

5.3 or 6.3 :1 are good ratios. Either will be good for fast retrieves.

Kurt Bimler wrote:

> I am looking at purchasing (actually my wife is buying it for my
> birthday) my first baitcasting reel (and rod). I am primarily leaning
> toward the Shimano Curado. From what I can tell, there is basically 2
> models (regular & Super Free) and various gear ratios. This will be
> used as an "all purpose" type of reel (knowing that there is really no
> such thing) throwing everything that I can with it. My 3 questions
> are:
>
> 1. Is the "Super Free" system worth the extra money?
> 2. What gear ratio should I be looking for?
> 3. Is there a better choice for about the same $$?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kurt

Charles B. Summers
September 24th, 2003, 09:10 PM
"Kurt Bimler" > wrote in message
> I am looking at purchasing (actually my wife is buying it for my
> birthday) my first baitcasting reel (and rod). I am primarily leaning
> toward the Shimano Curado. From what I can tell, there is basically 2
> models (regular & Super Free) and various gear ratios. This will be
> used as an "all purpose" type of reel (knowing that there is really no
> such thing) throwing everything that I can with it. My 3 questions
> are:
>
> 1. Is the "Super Free" system worth the extra money?
*** To some people Yes... to others, No. For what I do, the super-free isn't
much different.

> 2. What gear ratio should I be looking for?
*** For all around fishing, I would chose the 6:1 ratio. I think the 5:1 is
a little slow, especially when working a spinnerbait.

> 3. Is there a better choice for about the same $$?
*** Once again...in my opinion, no.

> Thanks,
>
> Kurt

Dan
September 24th, 2003, 11:02 PM
For what it's worth...

> 1. Is the "Super Free" system worth the extra money?

I would say no since it is your first BC reel. Until you train the thumb and
can make more than a few casts without backlashing, you will have any reel
tightened down and nullify the super free feature. Why pay for it. Besides,
later on, you already have a reason to buy more tackle!

> 2. What gear ratio should I be looking for?

Either is fine. If you fish nothing but reaction baits and are running &
gunning, the fast retrieve is fine. However,at times it may hurt more than
help. Particularly if you are fishing worms and jigs where you usually can't
fish them slow enough.

> 3. Is there a better choice for about the same $$?

Not that I have found. I own 6 currently. Would replace the other 15 shimano
black magnums I own if I could afford the bill for 15 curados. Right now I
can't even pay attention....

Dan W.

Craig
September 24th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Normally I totally agree with Dan, for he is a very smart individual.

Rick Clunn says it best. Buy the fastest, free-est spinning baitcaster
reel you can, because you can always slow down your retrieve and tighten up
the friction knob to slow down the spin. But it is hard as hell to make a
slow reel go fast, and a tight reel to spin freely. Well in this case, a
easy spinning reel spin fluidly.

As far as worm and jig fishing, I again past on some wisdom shared by Mr.
Clunn. Use a long, heavy action rod, and a high speed reel. For in worm
and jig fishing you want to have the ability to remove slack in a hurry and
a high speed reel and a long rod will do just that.

Now Rick Clunn is a very experienced angler that knows how to retrieve a
crankbait on a high speed reel (which is typically slow). He also knows
just how long he needs to wait before he spins that reel down and pops that
long rod up. Because with a high speed reel you are taking up almost 30" of
line with one turn of the handle and popping a 7' rod from the 9 O'clock to
the 11 or 12 O'clock position will move another 3-4 feet of line. Set the
hook too soon and you will have pulled the lure 6-feet away from the fish.

--
Craig

Brad Coovert
September 25th, 2003, 02:16 AM
>1. Is the "Super Free" system worth the extra money?

For a first reel, IMO, no.

>2. What gear ratio should I be looking for?

The standard 6:1 Curado will fit the bill for most fishing. I have a couple of
5:1's I use fo cranks and slow rolling spinnerbaits.

>3. Is there a better choice for about the same $$?

IMO, no, unless you're gonna spend the $149 for the SF....I'd buy the Shimano
Scorpion Japanese version instead and have many more brake settings. But hey,
I'm a bells and whistle guy.

Brad Coovert, 2003 Tournament Director, Greenfield Bassmasters
Please visit our sponsors:
http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

Thundercat
September 25th, 2003, 02:41 AM
"Kurt Bimler" > wrote in message
<snip>
> 1. Is the "Super Free" system worth the extra money?

Yes...But that's just my opinion. I probably would never buy another reel
without superfree of some sort.

> 2. What gear ratio should I be looking for?

Go with the 6:1

> 3. Is there a better choice for about the same $$?

You can't go wrong with a Curado as a first baitcaster. However, be
forewarned that once you make that step up, there is no going back...Just
ask Randy.

--
Harry J. aka Thundercat
Rogue Bass Fishing Club

John Bailey
September 25th, 2003, 03:31 AM
Kurt Bimler wrote:

> 1. Is the "Super Free" system worth the extra money?

I think so.

> 2. What gear ratio should I be looking for?

6:1

> 3. Is there a better choice for about the same $$?

Maybe the Curado 100. A little cheaper and smaller, still has super free
- may fit your hand better depending on how big it is.

--
John

x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

The RodMaker
September 25th, 2003, 04:57 AM
The Super Free will make itself worth the extra money down the road.

I would stick to the 5:3:1 ratio for a first time buy. the super free is the
choice I make when looking for a new reel.

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods
"John Bailey" > wrote in message
> Kurt Bimler wrote:
>
> > 1. Is the "Super Free" system worth the extra money?
>
> I think so.
>

> > 2. What gear ratio should I be looking for?
>
> 6:1
>

> > 3. Is there a better choice for about the same $$?
>
> Maybe the Curado 100. A little cheaper and smaller, still has super free
> - may fit your hand better depending on how big it is.
>
> --
> John
>

> x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com
> x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups
> x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
> x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

alwaysfishking
September 25th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Excellent advice Craig, If you want a really good setup then get a Shimano
scorpion and pair it with a Steve Huber 7 foot rod. The scorpion while about
50 bucks more than the curado is the way to go, pairing it with the longer
rod makes it a real nice setup, Take Craigs advice and before you know it
you will realize what a versatile setup it will be for any fishing
application. IMO
"Craig" > wrote in message
.com...
> Normally I totally agree with Dan, for he is a very smart individual.
>
> Rick Clunn says it best. Buy the fastest, free-est spinning baitcaster
> reel you can, because you can always slow down your retrieve and tighten
up
> the friction knob to slow down the spin. But it is hard as hell to make a
> slow reel go fast, and a tight reel to spin freely. Well in this case, a
> easy spinning reel spin fluidly.
>
> As far as worm and jig fishing, I again past on some wisdom shared by Mr.
> Clunn. Use a long, heavy action rod, and a high speed reel. For in worm
> and jig fishing you want to have the ability to remove slack in a hurry
and
> a high speed reel and a long rod will do just that.
>
> Now Rick Clunn is a very experienced angler that knows how to retrieve a
> crankbait on a high speed reel (which is typically slow). He also knows
> just how long he needs to wait before he spins that reel down and pops
that
> long rod up. Because with a high speed reel you are taking up almost 30"
of
> line with one turn of the handle and popping a 7' rod from the 9 O'clock
> the 11 or 12 O'clock position will move another 3-4 feet of line. Set the
> hook too soon and you will have pulled the lure 6-feet away from the fish.
>
> --
> Craig

The RodMaker
September 25th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Randy, A Scorpion from Brooklyn Bill's is
only $155.00 . And while Steve makes an excellent rod , there are many rods
I am sure for around $100.00 that would fit the bill. No need to bust the
man's bank on his
1st set up. :o)

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods
"alwaysfishking" <alwaysfishking@ nospam.epix.net> wrote in message
> Excellent advice Craig, If you want a really good setup then get a Shimano
> scorpion and pair it with a Steve Huber 7 foot rod. The scorpion while
about
> 50 bucks more than the curado is the way to go, pairing it with the longer
> rod makes it a real nice setup, Take Craigs advice and before you know it
> you will realize what a versatile setup it will be for any fishing
> application. IMO
> "Craig" > wrote in message
> .com...
> > Normally I totally agree with Dan, for he is a very smart individual.
> >
> > Rick Clunn says it best. Buy the fastest, free-est spinning baitcaster
> > reel you can, because you can always slow down your retrieve and tighten
> up
> > the friction knob to slow down the spin. But it is hard as hell to make
> > slow reel go fast, and a tight reel to spin freely. Well in this case,
> > easy spinning reel spin fluidly.
> >
> > As far as worm and jig fishing, I again past on some wisdom shared by
Mr.
> > Clunn. Use a long, heavy action rod, and a high speed reel. For in
worm
> > and jig fishing you want to have the ability to remove slack in a hurry
> and
> > a high speed reel and a long rod will do just that.
> >
> > Now Rick Clunn is a very experienced angler that knows how to retrieve a
> > crankbait on a high speed reel (which is typically slow). He also knows
> > just how long he needs to wait before he spins that reel down and pops
> that
> > long rod up. Because with a high speed reel you are taking up almost
30"
> of
> > line with one turn of the handle and popping a 7' rod from the 9 O'clock
> > the 11 or 12 O'clock position will move another 3-4 feet of line. Set
the
> > hook too soon and you will have pulled the lure 6-feet away from the
fish.

> > --
> > Craig

AJH
September 25th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Good advise Rodmaker, their are many rods in the $50-$90 dollars range
that are outstanding.. I think a custom rod is a personal choice but off
the shelf rods will suit 90% of all fisherman..I would like to try a
Robert's Wrapped rod but I can't
justify the cost.(like it worried me before).

I fish therefore I lie

Kurt Bimler
September 25th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the advise. The rod purchase will probably be the next bit
of advise I look for. What would be a good rod for that $100 or less
price point?

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:54:14 -0500, "The RodMaker"
> wrote:

>Randy, A Scorpion from Brooklyn Bill's is
>only $155.00 . And while Steve makes an excellent rod , there are many rods
>I am sure for around $100.00 that would fit the bill. No need to bust the
>man's bank on his
>1st set up. :o)

Kurt Bimler
September 25th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Thanks. As I already have a few spinning reels that are 5.3:1, I may
look into the faster ratio, but the "jury is still out"

Kurt

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:57:46 -0500, "The RodMaker"
> wrote:

>The Super Free will make itself worth the extra money down the road.
>
>I would stick to the 5:3:1 ratio for a first time buy. the super free is the
>choice I make when looking for a new reel.

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
September 25th, 2003, 03:17 PM
"Kurt Bimler" > wrote in message ...
> Thanks for the advise. The rod purchase will probably be the next bit
> of advise I look for. What would be a good rod for that $100 or less
> price point?

Ask TNBass, Charles Summers and Alwaysfishking about the rods they have.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

AJH
September 25th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Did you get the bear?

I fish therefore I lie

Charles B. Summers
September 25th, 2003, 05:41 PM
He doesn't have to ask...

I've got an All-Star that I picked up when K-Mart was closing down for only
$13.00! Also, Academy Sports has All-Star IM10X's for $79.00. But I think
the one that Steve was talking about is the Outdoor Frontier rod that I
have. 7' Meduim Action (feels like a Medium Heavy to me though). Not a bad
rod at all! I've mostly only used it as a longer worm rod, but I'm sure that
it'll work well for cranks and spinners.