PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Rods

CapStick
November 20th, 2003, 11:54 PM
I have a rod that states that it is 12 ft long and 8-10oz

it was given to me as a beach caster

what does the oz rating mean

---

Handy Andy
November 21st, 2003, 08:15 AM
OZ = for use in Australia only

"CapStick" > wrote in message
> I have a rod that states that it is 12 ft long and 8-10oz
>

> it was given to me as a beach caster
>
> what does the oz rating mean
>

> ---

Brian Runyard
November 21st, 2003, 08:55 AM
Rated casting weight.

"CapStick" > wrote in message
> I have a rod that states that it is 12 ft long and 8-10oz
>

> it was given to me as a beach caster
>
> what does the oz rating mean
>

> ---

Handy Andy
November 21st, 2003, 09:18 AM
28 grammes = 1 oz ( = one ounce = old imperial measurement system = still in
use in the USA !)

:^}

"Brian Runyard" > wrote in message
> Rated casting weight.
>
> "CapStick" > wrote in message
> > I have a rod that states that it is 12 ft long and 8-10oz
> >

> > it was given to me as a beach caster
> >
> > what does the oz rating mean
> >

> > ---

Gray
November 21st, 2003, 09:43 AM
It means that when new the rod could cast a weight of up to 10oz and was
best in the area of 8-10 ounces

This means it is a still rod with plenty of Umphhhhh when casting though the
tip may look quite soft when you chuck it

--
Regards
Gray

http://www.madcaravanner.co.uk

"CapStick" > wrote in message
> I have a rod that states that it is 12 ft long and 8-10oz
>

> it was given to me as a beach caster
>
> what does the oz rating mean

---

Antony Wills
November 21st, 2003, 10:56 AM
don't know about 8oz to 10 oz, stick with a casting rating of 4oz to 6oz, 8
to 10 seems a little ambitious.

---

SEAANGLING
November 21st, 2003, 06:46 PM
>don't know about 8oz to 10 oz, stick with a casting rating of 4oz to 6oz, 8
>to 10 seems a little ambitious.

Quite right, too many rod makers seem to think anglers want to hurl huge leads,
most rods, and anglers are happy to cast 5-6 oz with the occasional 7oz. A lot
of rods would snap with that amount of lead, they might lob 8 oz but few would
actually cast it, cheers, Norman.

Alex
November 21st, 2003, 07:32 PM
"Antony Wills" > wrote in message
> don't know about 8oz to 10 oz, stick with a casting rating of 4oz to 6oz,
8
> to 10 seems a little ambitious.
Make good boat rod, would double up as a spare mast.

Gray
November 21st, 2003, 08:04 PM
Hi Guys
You will note I said "When New"
I have a 5 metre Surfcaster that Says 750gm works beautifully with 100gm
and Yes it is almost 17 feet long (and white)

--
Regards
Gray

http://www.madcaravanner.co.uk

"Antony Wills" > wrote in message
> don't know about 8oz to 10 oz, stick with a casting rating of 4oz to 6oz,
8
> to 10 seems a little ambitious.

---

CapStick
November 21st, 2003, 09:08 PM
"Gray" > wrote in message
> Hi Guys
> You will note I said "When New"
> I have a 5 metre Surfcaster that Says 750gm works beautifully with 100gm
> and Yes it is almost 17 feet long (and white)

for eels maybe

---

CapStick
November 21st, 2003, 09:11 PM
"Handy Andy" > wrote in message
> OZ = for use in Australia only

Thats gonna be sooooooooooooome Cast !

---

CapStick
November 21st, 2003, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the Answers

Bothy sensible and Sad

LOL

Due to circumstances beyond my control, i can only fish a few rock marks,
near where i live, in cornwall.

So i intend to use this rod, for fishing over rough rock, using 6 oz casting
lead, on paternoster rig.

or sliding Float Method.

I will have to haul, any fish caught, up the rockface of a local mark, about
30 feet.

So i think, that, as its been confirmed, "its a bit on the heavy side",
i may be on the right track for this sort of fishing... ? Y/N
opinions please (both funny and serious)

I am coarse angler trying Sea angling.

---

John
November 22nd, 2003, 01:44 AM
I use a 12ft rod rated at 4 to 6 oz over rough rocky marks and find it
adequate for the job, although a 6 to 8 oz would probably be ideal. 8 to 10
oz sounds like overkill. You won't get much sport unless you hook something
pretty big.

John
--
Remove P's and BEANZ from to reply
"CapStick" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the Answers
>
> Bothy sensible and Sad
>
> LOL
>
> Due to circumstances beyond my control, i can only fish a few rock marks,
> near where i live, in cornwall.
>
> So i intend to use this rod, for fishing over rough rock, using 6 oz
casting
> lead, on paternoster rig.
>
> or sliding Float Method.
>
> I will have to haul, any fish caught, up the rockface of a local mark,
about
> 30 feet.
>
> So i think, that, as its been confirmed, "its a bit on the heavy side",
> i may be on the right track for this sort of fishing... ? Y/N
> opinions please (both funny and serious)
>
> I am coarse angler trying Sea angling.
>

> ---

Alex
November 22nd, 2003, 05:06 AM
"John" > wrote in message
> I use a 12ft rod rated at 4 to 6 oz over rough rocky marks and find it
> adequate for the job, although a 6 to 8 oz would probably be ideal. 8 to
10
> oz sounds like overkill. You won't get much sport unless you hook
something
> pretty big.
With respect, I cannot see you getting sport with any beachcaster.

Gray
November 22nd, 2003, 11:27 AM
"Alex" > wrote in message > > pretty big.
> With respect, I cannot see you getting sport with any beachcaster.

With respect some of us don't have the funding to go on the boats

because when we are fishing the wife's shopping HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and personally I prefer to be able to take a break from fishing when I want
to rather than having to wait until the boat moves marks

--
Regards

Gray

---

Antony Wills
November 22nd, 2003, 12:12 PM
I to am from Cornwall, I use a 4oz to 6oz 12ft rod, (original tip tornado)
for most marks I fish as my 13ft rods tend to be a little bit long when
casting in a cramped space, Iv'e had no problems so far, just don't try to
haul monster fish up a cliff face, use a gaff, or a flying gaff, or hand
line them.

---

Alex
November 23rd, 2003, 12:42 AM
"Gray" > wrote in message

> "Alex" > wrote in message > > pretty big.
> > With respect, I cannot see you getting sport with any beachcaster.
>

> With respect some of us don't have the funding to go on the boats
I was not making a comparison with boat and beach fishing, rather the
general stiffness of a beachcaster and whether landing a fish with one
called be called sport.

CapStick
November 23rd, 2003, 01:26 AM
Thanks again for the replies.

Turns out it is 6-8oz and "Not 8-10" as i previously stated.

I do understand the good sport bit.

---

SEAANGLING
November 23rd, 2003, 10:59 AM
>I was not making a comparison with boat and beach fishing, rather the>general
stiffness of a beachcaster and whether landing a fish with one>called be
called sport.

The casting of large baits and sometimes leads requires something slightly more
powerful than a fly rod or spinning rod, it does not, IMHO, make the angler any
less sporting. Fishing too light can cause the fish to be tired beyond the
point of recovery, not a very sporting ethic. Get the fish in quickly and it
can be returned just as quickly if not required, cheers, Norman.

Alex
November 23rd, 2003, 12:37 PM
"SEAANGLING" > wrote in message
> >I was not making a comparison with boat and beach fishing, rather
the>general
> stiffness of a beachcaster and whether landing a fish with one>called be
> called sport.
> >
> The casting of large baits and sometimes leads requires something slightly
more
> powerful than a fly rod or spinning rod, it does not, IMHO, make the
angler any
> less sporting. Fishing too light can cause the fish to be tired beyond the
> point of recovery, not a very sporting ethic. Get the fish in quickly and
it
> can be returned just as quickly if not required, cheers, Norman.
Fishing at 200mts plus with a 5oz lead using the movement of the rod tip to
detect a bite, means that any small fish has probably swallowed the bait
before the angler is aware that he has a bite. which means it will probobly
die.
In actual fact many small fish are already hooked, this only being apparent
when reeling in to re-bait.
I appreciate that certain conditions may mean that beachcasters are used,
matches being one that springs to mind as catching the most fish by any
means is the goal. The other being catching Cod for dinner table.
Howerver IMHO catching fish with a beachcaster, especially those rods
designed for the tournamount field, cannot be described as sport.

Gray
November 23rd, 2003, 03:42 PM
> Fishing at 200mts plus with a 5oz lead using the movement of the rod tip
> detect a bite,

Wish I could cast that far.....................

With my duff back a cast of 75 yards is a very painful effort and would mean
I would not enjoy my sport

As for beachcasters being stiff ???? boat rods are broom handles by
comparison EXCEPT uptide rods Which I use from piers and rock marks as
well

My 5m beach caster has a test curve of 4oz and is an "A" action rod

--
Regards
Gray

---

The Big Man
November 23rd, 2003, 05:01 PM
I presume you aint been near boats for a while most decent anglers regularly
use 8 - 12 lb class rods and I've got a couple of quiver tips which get
frequent outings.

David

> As for beachcasters being stiff ???? boat rods are broom handles by
> comparison EXCEPT uptide rods Which I use from piers and rock marks as
> well

> --
> Regards
> Gray

Gray
November 23rd, 2003, 09:09 PM
"The Big Man" > wrote in message
> I presume you aint been near boats for a while most decent anglers
regularly
> use 8 - 12 lb class rods and I've got a couple of quiver tips which get
> frequent outings.
>
> David
The last time I went on as boat was ??????? except to go diving I prefer
the shore but sounds like the old 50lb class is dead and gone

--
Regards

Gray

---

Alex
November 23rd, 2003, 10:05 PM
"Gray" > wrote in message

> My 5m beach caster has a test curve of 4oz

What! a 4oz test curve beachcaster. Have you got a quiver tip grafted on
to it
I suspect you mean "casting" weight of 4oz.
Most beach casters would have "test curves" of over 3lb.

Gray
November 23rd, 2003, 10:39 PM
OOOPPPPSSS

a little bit of whisky in the way last night
4lb not 4 oz

--
Regards

Gray

"Alex" > wrote in message

> "Gray" > wrote in message
>
> > My 5m beach caster has a test curve of 4oz

> What! a 4oz test curve beachcaster. Have you got a quiver tip grafted
on
> to it
> I suspect you mean "casting" weight of 4oz.
> Most beach casters would have "test curves" of over 3lb.

---

Alex
November 23rd, 2003, 11:51 PM
"Gray" > wrote in message
> OOOPPPPSSS
>
> a little bit of whisky in the way last night
Forget beachcasters! we have something in common at last.