PDA

View Full Version : reel advice

willherb
November 30th, 2003, 08:33 AM
what has ball bearings got to do with the reel? Also does having a winding
arm on a spinning reel stop birdsnests? Does strength come in the same
category as casting distance?

Alex
November 30th, 2003, 10:09 AM
"willherb" > wrote in message
> what has ball bearings got to do with the reel? Also does having a winding
> arm on a spinning reel stop birdsnests? Does strength come in the same
> category as casting distance?
I don't know where you are coming from with questions 1 and 2, for instance
you don't get birdsnests with a fixed spool reel, otherwise known as a
spinning reel. You can of course spin with a multiplier, so perhaps we are
getting our lines crossed here. What reel are you refering to?
As for the ball bearings they do nothing other than make the reel more
smooth.
Pick up a cheap fixed spool reel and compare it to say a Shimano reel with
"three" ball bearings, feel the difference.
I mention three ball bearings, two on the winding spindle and one on the
spool spindle that occalated in and out.
All other ball bearings are there two sell the reel.

Handy Andy
November 30th, 2003, 10:52 AM
"Alex" > wrote in message

> "willherb" > wrote in message
> > what has ball bearings got to do with the reel? Also does having a
winding
> > arm on a spinning reel stop birdsnests? Does strength come in the same
> > category as casting distance?

I had the same problem with this posting -
However it may well be a youngster or reel (pun) begginer -
May I suggest you get down to the beach / local pier / canal / pond -- and
ask the 'lads' down there for their advice. -
Better to see one 'in your hand' and discuss its merits / cost / uses / ---
You need to get the 'correct' type / size reel for the job in hand. So go
somewhere where you are expecting / planning to fish !! Reeely ! Yes
Then spend as much as you can on it - say 60 quid plus - Quality reels do
not lose fish and last years and give unlimited pleasure.
Cheap reels lose fish and are lucky to see one season out !! Great for a two
week holiday then leave it out there - LOL
Low cost / modest priced rods are very good value, so save money here. Say
no more than 60 quid... as a guide....
Tight lines - Keep asking GOOD questions - they give you GOOD answers

November 30th, 2003, 01:00 PM
I have to disagree slightly with your point on cheap reels.

I have a Shakespeare Neptune multiplier, had it 4+ years now and it is a
great little reel for less than £20

As long as you give it a bit of TLC now and again it works fine. (Same for
all reels)
I agree it looks a bit tatty now but works well and is simple to maintain

Regards

Dave

<snip>
"Handy Andy" > wrote in message

> "Alex" > wrote in message
> Then spend as much as you can on it - say 60 quid plus - Quality reels do
> not lose fish and last years and give unlimited pleasure.
> Cheap reels lose fish and are lucky to see one season out !! Great for a
two
> week holiday then leave it out there - LOL
> Low cost / modest priced rods are very good value, so save money here. Say
> no more than 60 quid... as a guide....

Derek.Moody
November 30th, 2003, 05:27 PM
In article >, willherb
> wrote:
> what has ball bearings got to do with the reel?

Very little - the reel needs good bearings but they don't have to be ball
races.

> Also does having a winding
> arm on a spinning reel stop birdsnests?

No.

> Does strength come in the same
> category as casting distance?

No.

You're asking the wrong questions again I'm afraid. My guess is you've been
reading advertising copy and have spotted the flaws in it without quite
knowing why.

From this and your other posts I deduce that you are trying to set yourself
up with a decent set of gear without any experience to go on.

A few of basic points:
We've been catching fish on rod and line for generations.
100 years ago it was quite possible to catch without any modern gear.
The old tackle would still work if you took care...

So one good plan would be to get a mixture of second hand and cheap new
gear.

Don't buy a s/h reel until you know what to look for, for now buy the
cheapest new reel that is big enough for the job. Until you are used to it
you are going to give your reel a rough time and you might as well destroy
something cheap rather than halve the life of something that might cost five
times as much. Expect it to last no more than a season before you replace
it with something decent in the light of experience.

A second hand rod is fine.

Buy new, cheap line and hooks.

Leads floats and the rest can be new, s/h or found beachcombing.

You are intending to fish piers so, as long as you never cast more than a
gentle lob you don't need a shock leader. Forget about long casting on
piers btw, you will probably catch less at range than you will close in.

Go fishing.

Watch what gear others catch fish with. Ignore the ones who don't catch.

If, as can happen, you find a line of anglers on a pier all catching nothing
(or just tiddlers) then do something, anything, different. Try different
bait, fishing at a different depth or moving the bait, ring the changes
until something works. If one or more are catching, copy them.

Conside joining a club, either one near your home or near you usual fishing
venue.

Cheerio,

--

Derek.Moody
November 30th, 2003, 05:34 PM
In article >, Handy Andy
> wrote:
>
> "Alex" > wrote in message
> >
> > "willherb" > wrote in message
> > > what has ball bearings got to do with the reel? Also does having a
> winding
> > > arm on a spinning reel stop birdsnests? Does strength come in the same
> > > category as casting distance?
> >

> ask the 'lads' down there for their advice. -
> Better to see one 'in your hand' and discuss its merits / cost / uses / ---
> You need to get the 'correct' type / size reel for the job in hand. So go
> somewhere where you are expecting / planning to fish !! Reeely ! Yes

My guess is he doesn't yet know what to look for.

> Then spend as much as you can on it - say 60 quid plus - Quality reels do
> not lose fish and last years and give unlimited pleasure.

So; while this is correct it would be too easy to select an unsuitable model.

> Cheap reels lose fish and are lucky to see one season out !! Great for a two

A little unfair. Very few of the fish he's likely to hook in this first
year are likely to overcome even a cheap reel.

See other post for my take on this.

Cheerio,