PDA

View Full Version : advice on weights

malcolm
December 30th, 2003, 05:00 AM
hello folks
anybody have any advice on what size and type of weights to use,
for casting through 10 inches of Ice on our local lakes!
regards malcolm

--
¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸
LED Headlamps and Sea Fishing UK

Bob Hewitt
December 30th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Back in the mists of time, I remember being able to get hold of torpedo
shaped metal devices known locally as 'cap bombs'. They weighed about 4oz,
which is convenient, and had a spring mechanism under which a percussion cap
was trapped. When these things were hurled at solid objects, in your case
the ice, an external pin would cause the instant compression of the
percussion cap and a, usually, loud BANG! was heard.

Now, if you were to replace the percussion cap with Semtex...

I'll watch out for you on the news!

Cheers,

Bob Hewitt

"malcolm" > wrote in message
> hello folks
> anybody have any advice on what size and type of weights to use,
> for casting through 10 inches of Ice on our local lakes!
> regards malcolm
>

> --
> ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸
> LED Headlamps and Sea Fishing UK
> http://www.geocities.com/malc_hurn
> ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸

Cliff
December 30th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Errrrr what about a hand grenade?

--
Cliff.

Sea Anglers have "BIGGER" Tackle.

..
"Bob Hewitt" > wrote in message
> Back in the mists of time, I remember being able to get hold of torpedo
> shaped metal devices known locally as 'cap bombs'. They weighed about 4oz,
> which is convenient, and had a spring mechanism under which a percussion
cap
> was trapped. When these things were hurled at solid objects, in your case
> the ice, an external pin would cause the instant compression of the
> percussion cap and a, usually, loud BANG! was heard.
>
> Now, if you were to replace the percussion cap with Semtex...
>
> I'll watch out for you on the news!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Hewitt
>

> "malcolm" > wrote in message
> > hello folks
> > anybody have any advice on what size and type of weights to use,
> > for casting through 10 inches of Ice on our local lakes!
> > regards malcolm
> >

> > --
> > ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸
> > LED Headlamps and Sea Fishing UK
> > http://www.geocities.com/malc_hurn
> > ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸

Gray
December 30th, 2003, 04:25 PM
"Bob Hewitt" > wrote in message
> Back in the mists of time, I remember being able to get hold of torpedo
> shaped metal devices known locally as 'cap bombs'. They weighed about 4oz,
> which is convenient, and had a spring mechanism under which a percussion
cap
> was trapped. When these things were hurled at solid objects, in your case
> the ice, an external pin would cause the instant compression of the
> percussion cap and a, usually, loud BANG! was heard.
>
> Now, if you were to replace the percussion cap with Semtex...
>
> I'll watch out for you on the news!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Hewitt
>

> "malcolm" > wrote in message
> > hello folks
> > anybody have any advice on what size and type of weights to use,
> > for casting through 10 inches of Ice on our local lakes!
> > regards malcolm
> >

> > --
> > ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸
> > LED Headlamps and Sea Fishing UK
> > http://www.geocities.com/malc_hurn
> > ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸

You could use one of those weight Coalmen use for weighing bags of coal
first but you'd need a stiffish rod

--
Merry Christmas

From
Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield
www.madcaravanner.co.uk
You don't have to be mad but it helps

---

Alex
December 30th, 2003, 04:52 PM
"malcolm" > wrote in message
> hello folks
> anybody have any advice on what size and type of weights to use,
> for casting through 10 inches of Ice on our local lakes!
> regards malcolm
Where are based!
I can get my mother in law to jump up and down on it, hopefully she will
find a weak spot.

Christopher Wildman
December 30th, 2003, 10:14 PM
"malcolm" > wrote in message
> hello folks
> anybody have any advice on what size and type of weights to use,
> for casting through 10 inches of Ice on our local lakes!
> regards malcolm
>

> --
> ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸
> LED Headlamps and Sea Fishing UK
> http://www.geocities.com/malc_hurn
> ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸

Size will not matter - so long as it's very, very hot!

malcolm
December 31st, 2003, 04:48 AM
<N. Pole> wrote in message
s.com...

> As the governor of Califoria would say, "No Problemo!"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3649560220&category=36152

bit heavy for casting......... any advice what rod?

malcolm
December 31st, 2003, 04:49 AM
"Alex" > wrote in message

> "malcolm" > wrote in message
> > hello folks
> > anybody have any advice on what size and type of weights to use,
> > for casting through 10 inches of Ice on our local lakes!
> > regards malcolm
> Where are based!
> I can get my mother in law to jump up and down on it, hopefully she will
> find a weak spot.

good idea ;)

malcolm
December 31st, 2003, 04:49 AM
"Christopher Wildman" > wrote in message

> "malcolm" > wrote in message
> > hello folks
> > anybody have any advice on what size and type of weights to use,
> > for casting through 10 inches of Ice on our local lakes!
> > regards malcolm
> >

> > --
> > ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸
> > LED Headlamps and Sea Fishing UK
> > http://www.geocities.com/malc_hurn
> > ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸
> >

> Size will not matter - so long as it's very, very hot!

..............back to the DU or not DU thread from so long ago LOL

malcolm
December 31st, 2003, 04:52 AM
"malcolm" > wrote in message

> "Christopher Wildman" > wrote in message
> >
> > "malcolm" > wrote in message
> > > hello folks
> > > anybody have any advice on what size and type of weights to use,
> > > for casting through 10 inches of Ice on our local lakes!
> > > regards malcolm
> > >

> > > --
> > > ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸
> > > LED Headlamps and Sea Fishing UK
> > > http://www.geocities.com/malc_hurn
> > > ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸
> > >

> > Size will not matter - so long as it's very, very hot!
> >

> .............back to the DU or not DU thread from so long ago LOL

DU = depleted uranium long tang casting weights for those not in the know...

DU more dense than Lead so would make a better weight

Ian Kay
January 5th, 2004, 01:34 AM
"malcolm" > wrote in message
> hello folks
> anybody have any advice on what size and type of weights to use,
> for casting through 10 inches of Ice on our local lakes!
> regards malcolm
>

> --
> ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸
> LED Headlamps and Sea Fishing UK
> http://www.geocities.com/malc_hurn
> ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸

Well Malcom this is actually a very difficuly one to answer as so much
depends on the quality of the ice and its composition: is it salt or fresh
water ice ?, is it solid water ice or frozen snow ice or a combination
thereof ?, does it contain dissolved impurities?, is it over still or
running water?, is it in the process of thaw or still freezing?, was it
formed as one continuous sheet or laid down as strata in several freezing
events?, etc etc etc, you can imagine the problems and combinations of
variables involved.

There have as you can imagine been many surveys and studies conducted on the
load bearing and in this instance impact resistance qualities of ice. An
interesting article is to be found at
http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region3/pdf/icefishing.pdf. In this article
it gives rough minimum thicknesses of ice for various load conditions. In
your circumstance it would appear that the ball park figure you should be
working around lays somewhere between the weight of an automobile and that
of a large truck, maybe 5 or 6 tons !!, probably a problem.

Maybe you should consider some sort of explosive device, this would have the
added benefit of both making the fish more accesible, rendering them
insensible and therefore easier to catch, maybe even delivering some of them
direct to your fishing station, making you instantly popular with all your
fellow anglers, discouraging skaters and scaring away cormorants and other
fish eating birds. All things considered there is much to recommend such a
tactic, please keep us posted with your results

Regards Ian

Alec Powell
January 5th, 2004, 10:30 AM
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Ian Kay, gave forth these words of wisdom:
>There have as you can imagine been many surveys and studies conducted
>on the load bearing and in this instance impact resistance qualities of
>ice. An interesting article is to be found at
>http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region3/pdf/icefishing.pdf.
Thanks for this Ian. A very interesting website :-)
I especially liked this bit:
" ICE AUGER hand - auger or gas-driven power
auger for drilling holes in the ice. This tool is essential
for ice over 12 inches thick or when there are many holes
to cut. Extensions are often needed to get through thick
(36 - 48 inches) late winter ice. Protect the blades and
keep them sharpened at the correct angle because a dull
ice auger won't cut into the ice. Don't drill into the bottom, and
remember to take spare blades along."
Wonder if they do one at Screwfix?

The idea of using some sort of explosive device brings back memories of
fishing in Malaysia using Thunderflashes tied to rocks and then thrown
into the locals fishing ponds. Wonderful results with the locals
appreciating<?> 90% of their stocks being brought to the surface thereby
doing away with the need to use rod and line. (They don't fish for fun
out there - just for the pot!)
Somehow, though, I don't think I would like the idea of exploding
something under the ice if I were standing on top of it :-(
I am interested however as to where Malcolm's lakes with 10 inches if
ice are. We're in the middle of one of the mildest winters I've known
down here at the moment and I had very little success down at Lulworth
Cove over Christmas which was a bit disappointing. Maybe I should ask
Derek Moody for some advice :-)
Cheers,
Alec (I want to live by the sea!) Powell
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

Derek.Moody
January 5th, 2004, 06:23 PM
In article >, Alec Powell
> wrote:

> Somehow, though, I don't think I would like the idea of exploding
> something under the ice if I were standing on top of it :-(

Everyone else who has already drilled their hole gets a free shower - a
great way to make friends and influence people.

> down here at the moment and I had very little success down at Lulworth
> Cove over Christmas which was a bit disappointing. Maybe I should ask
> Derek Moody for some advice :-)

OK, here it comes:
Don't fish Lulworth Cove at Christmas.

There: that about covers it I reckon.

Most of that coast will be poor fishing now 'til the pollock return in a
couple of months.

Cheerio,

--

Alec Powell
January 5th, 2004, 08:50 PM
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Derek.Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:
>> down here at the moment and I had very little success down at Lulworth
>> Cove over Christmas which was a bit disappointing. Maybe I should ask
>> Derek Moody for some advice :-)
>
>OK, here it comes:
> Don't fish Lulworth Cove at Christmas.
>
>There: that about covers it I reckon.
Wonderful Derek, I knew I could rely on you for some good advice :-)

>Most of that coast will be poor fishing now 'til the pollock return in a
>couple of months.
In that case I shall have to return, ( maybe for good one day I hope).
Cheers,
Alec
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

Derek.Moody
January 5th, 2004, 10:57 PM
In article >, Alec Powell
> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Derek.Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:

> >Most of that coast will be poor fishing now 'til the pollock return in a
> >couple of months.
> In that case I shall have to return, ( maybe for good one day I hope).

If you're going to stay I'm not sure we should show you how to deplete the
stocks ;-)

OTOH if you promise not to catch 'em all let me know when you're coming down
and we might be able to find a few fish - leave it til spring if you want
sal****er flyfishing though.

Cheerio,