PDA

View Full Version : Razor fish

Rich
January 2nd, 2004, 09:44 AM
Been trying to collect razor shells at low water - now twice with
little success. I go to a long sandy beach on the gower peninsula
where there are literally thousands of empty shells. I waited until a
low spring tide and then looked for the characteristic keyhole shaped
'blowholes' in the sand with the intention of using the salt method
for collection. Couldn't find one cast\blowhole on the entire beach
(and its big!) but found loads of empty shells, also found some small
live clams buried under the surface, but no razors! Thoughts are:

1. Winter - therefore they move offshore?
2. Tide not low enough even though a spring tide

I saw very little signs of sub-sand activity, and searched for two
hours!!

Any ideas/tips gratefully received.

Also - used to collect crabs and lobsters off the rocks in summer - is
this pointless in winter - do they all move offshore??

TIA,

Richard.

Handy Andy
January 2nd, 2004, 10:36 AM
The wind was from the wrong direction for them to 'throw' their casts -
works the same for lug and rag ! Strange world - nature !

"Rich" > wrote in message
om...
> Been trying to collect razor shells at low water - now twice with
> little success. I go to a long sandy beach on the gower peninsula
> where there are literally thousands of empty shells. I waited until a
> low spring tide and then looked for the characteristic keyhole shaped
> 'blowholes' in the sand with the intention of using the salt method
> for collection. Couldn't find one cast\blowhole on the entire beach
> (and its big!) but found loads of empty shells, also found some small
> live clams buried under the surface, but no razors! Thoughts are:
>
> 1. Winter - therefore they move offshore?
> 2. Tide not low enough even though a spring tide
>
> I saw very little signs of sub-sand activity, and searched for two
> hours!!
>
> Any ideas/tips gratefully received.
>
> Also - used to collect crabs and lobsters off the rocks in summer - is
> this pointless in winter - do they all move offshore??
>
> TIA,
>
> Richard.

Derek.Moody
January 2nd, 2004, 05:35 PM
In article >, Rich
> wrote:
> Been trying to collect razor shells at low water - now twice with

> 1. Winter - therefore they move offshore?

No.

> 2. Tide not low enough even though a spring tide

Er, if you've been in the last couple of days they were neaps and the
Christmas tides, although springs, were not particularly low.

> I saw very little signs of sub-sand activity, and searched for two
> hours!!
>
> Any ideas/tips gratefully received.
>
> Also - used to collect crabs and lobsters off the rocks in summer - is
> this pointless in winter - do they all move offshore??

No, not all of them. There will not be so many though and mostly right at
the bottom of the beach until the weather warms. Might be tricky in winter
seas.

Cheerio,