PDA

View Full Version : Uptiders

Lee
January 6th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Hi all, what in your opinion is the best uptider combination, I have
seen the Penn tidecutter and I am impressed, but I will be using this
rod for downtiding and light wreck work....so maybe a lever drag reel
would be better than the 535...opinions please....regards Lee

ray
January 6th, 2004, 07:08 PM
yeah keep you're hands off mine
Regards Ray
"Lee" > wrote in message om...
> Hi all, what in your opinion is the best uptider combination, I have
> seen the Penn tidecutter and I am impressed, but I will be using this
> rod for downtiding and light wreck work....so maybe a lever drag reel
> would be better than the 535...opinions please....regards Lee

Dave
January 7th, 2004, 12:38 AM
I would suggest you take a look at the ABU uptiders.
Both the Suveran and Conolon versions are good.

I have a Conolon with a Penn 535 GS and well pleased with it.

Southend Angling Centre have some great deals on at the moment.

Regards

Dave S

"Lee" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all, what in your opinion is the best uptider combination, I have
> seen the Penn tidecutter and I am impressed, but I will be using this
> rod for downtiding and light wreck work....so maybe a lever drag reel
> would be better than the 535...opinions please....regards Lee

Chris Mitchell
January 12th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Lee wrote:
> Hi all, what in your opinion is the best uptider combination, I have
> seen the Penn tidecutter and I am impressed, but I will be using this
> rod for downtiding and light wreck work....so maybe a lever drag reel
> would be better than the 535...opinions please....regards Lee
I use a Team Diawa uptider with an Abu 7000 which is great for Pollack
and the like off of wrecks, especially if redgilling. I think more
modern rods, mines an old one now, are specifically designed for use
with braid, worth considering if you're buying new. If you particularly
want a lever drag I'd recommend the Shimano Charter Special 2000 which
is about the right size for this rod, not too sure how good this would
be for casting for genuine uptiding, since I've not used it for this.
Load the reel with backing and braid, around 20lb, and use a shock
leader, around 30lb. You'll want twice the length of the rod plus 6
times around the reel.

Good luck.

--
Regards.

Chris.
Please remove MAPSON (NOSPAM backwards) to reply to me by email.