PDA

View Full Version : Cod fishing NW/Seaforth area

DangerScouse
January 10th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I used to do a lot of fishing many years ago, but as always happens
people got married and stopped doing the usual activities, so the sea
fishing stopped.

Now, I'd really like to take it up again, but I don't particularly want
to do it on my own and I'm not sure that I want to join a fishing club.

I'm very close to the docks at Seaforth, for which there is a permit
required (although I don't know where to apply to get a permit now), and
I have heard that you are now allowed to take your car onto the docks
when fishing unlike years ago when you had to park at the gate and walk
God knows how far to the rocks. Is this true?

There are some very good reports in the local paper about the Cod in the
Mersey atm, with good catches from the Coastguard station through to
Otterspool, and a lot of very good catches off Seaforth rocks. And I
want to go..

--
Lesley

Un-cork me to reply

Richard @
January 10th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Have a look at www.wirralseafishing.co.uk. Its one of the better resources
for people who fish on or around the Mersey. There's also some very good
information on permits, where you need them and how to get them.

As for cod in the Mersey, still very slow, mainly whiting caught on
mackerel, squid and lugworm.

Good luck and don't forget to post your catch report on wirralseafishing.

Richard

"DangerScouse" > wrote in message
> I used to do a lot of fishing many years ago, but as always happens
> people got married and stopped doing the usual activities, so the sea
> fishing stopped.
>
> Now, I'd really like to take it up again, but I don't particularly want
> to do it on my own and I'm not sure that I want to join a fishing club.
>
> I'm very close to the docks at Seaforth, for which there is a permit
> required (although I don't know where to apply to get a permit now), and
> I have heard that you are now allowed to take your car onto the docks
> when fishing unlike years ago when you had to park at the gate and walk
> God knows how far to the rocks. Is this true?
>
> There are some very good reports in the local paper about the Cod in the
> Mersey atm, with good catches from the Coastguard station through to
> Otterspool, and a lot of very good catches off Seaforth rocks. And I
> want to go..
>
> --
> Lesley
>
> Un-cork me to reply

DangerScouse
January 10th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Richard @ says...
> Have a look at www.wirralseafishing.co.uk. Its one of the better resources
> for people who fish on or around the Mersey. There's also some very good
> information on permits, where you need them and how to get them.

Ta, I'll look into that.

> As for cod in the Mersey, still very slow, mainly whiting caught on
> mackerel, squid and lugworm.

Hmm, that's not what it's been saying in the Crosby Herald over recent
months, including this week. The reports have always been very good,
from this side of the Mersey anyway.

> Good luck and don't forget to post your catch report on wirralseafishing.

--
Lesley
ZXR400SP
"Not bad for a Scouser"
SBS#11[with oak-leaf cluster]
BOTAFOT#101A UKRMHRC#12
BONY#54P BOB#18

Un-cork me to reply

Richard @
January 10th, 2004, 07:36 PM
> Hmm, that's not what it's been saying in the Crosby Herald over recent
> months, including this week. The reports have always been very good,
> from this side of the Mersey anyway.

Certainly very slow upstream, especially Bromborough and Eastham areas. If
what you're saying is true, I might have to venture over to your side of the
pond!

Cheers,

Richard

DangerScouse
January 11th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Richard @ says...
> > Hmm, that's not what it's been saying in the Crosby Herald over recent
> > months, including this week. The reports have always been very good,
> > from this side of the Mersey anyway.
>
> Certainly very slow upstream, especially Bromborough and Eastham areas. If
> what you're saying is true, I might have to venture over to your side of the
> pond!

If you do, give me a shout! Plenty of warning though, I'll need to
check my rod and reel, and I think a restocking of hooks would be well-
advised.

How long does line last? I've got plenty but it's a few years old now,
would I be best to bin it (safely) and replace it?

--
Lesley
ZXR400SP

Un-cork me to reply

Richard @
January 11th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Line should last a few years if stored properly, but for peace of mind I
would replace it..

Try www.jimsmailorder.co.uk for ordering your tackle. Very very reasonable
prices and always has some good deals. I found they generally don't sell
rubbish! Quick delivery as well. My last spend was £30 + and got all the
essentials; line, shockleader, hooks, mackerel traces, floats, beads,
swivels. Thoroughly recommend them!

Forgive me ignorance, but what do all the SBS#11 and BONY references in your
signature file mean. If it's top secret, don't worry! ;-)

Richard

"DangerScouse" > wrote in message
> Richard @ says...
> > > Hmm, that's not what it's been saying in the Crosby Herald over recent
> > > months, including this week. The reports have always been very good,
> > > from this side of the Mersey anyway.
> >
> > Certainly very slow upstream, especially Bromborough and Eastham areas.
If
> > what you're saying is true, I might have to venture over to your side of
the
> > pond!
> >
> If you do, give me a shout! Plenty of warning though, I'll need to
> check my rod and reel, and I think a restocking of hooks would be well-
> advised.
>
> How long does line last? I've got plenty but it's a few years old now,
> would I be best to bin it (safely) and replace it?
>
> --
> Lesley
> ZXR400SP
> "Not bad for a Scouser"
> SBS#11[with oak-leaf cluster]
> BOTAFOT#101A UKRMHRC#12
> BONY#54P BOB#18
>
> Un-cork me to reply

DangerScouse
January 11th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Richard @ says...
> Line should last a few years if stored properly, but for peace of mind I
> would replace it..
>
> Try www.jimsmailorder.co.uk for ordering your tackle. Very very reasonable
> prices and always has some good deals. I found they generally don't sell
> rubbish! Quick delivery as well. My last spend was £30 + and got all the
> essentials; line, shockleader, hooks, mackerel traces, floats, beads,
> swivels. Thoroughly recommend them!
>
> Forgive me ignorance, but what do all the SBS#11 and BONY references in your
> signature file mean. If it's top secret, don't worry! ;-)
>
> Richard
>

> "DangerScouse" > wrote in message
> > Richard @ says...
> > >
> > > Certainly very slow upstream, especially Bromborough and Eastham areas.
> If
> > > what you're saying is true, I might have to venture over to your side of
> the
> > > pond!
> > >
> > If you do, give me a shout! Plenty of warning though, I'll need to
> > check my rod and reel, and I think a restocking of hooks would be well-
> > advised.
> >
> > How long does line last? I've got plenty but it's a few years old now,
> > would I be best to bin it (safely) and replace it?

Cheers for the info, I'll look into that. The sig references? They
refer to things that are handed out by a bike NG that I frequent that
relate to things such as organised ride-outs.

I try to delete that bit when I'm not on the bike NG, but do sometimes
go 'doh!' when I hit send and realise that I have left them in.

--
Lesley

Un-cork me to reply