PDA

View Full Version : Shame on the Central Fisheries Board

Skipper
February 2nd, 2004, 01:14 PM
Hi all,

Last August, I was lucky enough to catch a large specimen-sized Tope whilst
fishing off the coast of Kilmore Quay aboard Eamon Hayes' boat Autumn Dream.
The fish weighed 59lb - some 19lb over the specimen size for the area and
just 8lb short of the Irish record.

As soon as the fish was landed, it was weighed, measured, tagged and
photographed. The skipper telephoned the Eastern Region Fisheries Board to
find out whether a specimen claim could be made for the fish given the
evidence provided. The ERFB said they would do so.

Subsequently, the ERFB published this catch for promotional purposes on
their website. However, I have now been informed by the Central Fisheries
Board (who are responsible for collating record and specimen claims for all
of Ireland) that my claim was dismissed. The reason given in writing for
their decision was that the fish wasn't weighed on certified scales. In this
case, the fish would have had to have been killed and returned to shore -
something neither I nor the skipper were prepared to do to such a large fish
in pup.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a single charter boat operating out of
Kilmore Quay that has certified scales suitable for use at sea on board.

In addition to the particularly large specimen, I and other anglers caught
Tope of 52, 49, 47 and 42lb during the same week. Had some or all of these
claims been accepted by the CFB, it is possible that the target specimen
size would be changed.

In light of changing public attitudes toward angling and other blood sports,
I am very surprised that the CFB are demanding the destruction of breeding
fish that are effectively unfit for human consumption.

Does anybody have any comments or suggestions on how to lobby for a change
in the CFB's stance for future specimen claims.

--

Skipper

***** WARNING - SPAMBUSTER IN OPERATION

***** Replace 'mapson' with 'boatskipper' to reply

SEAANGLING
February 2nd, 2004, 11:40 PM
>As far as I'm aware, there isn't a single charter boat operating out of
>Kilmore Quay that has certified scales suitable for use at sea on board.

The NFSA allow fish to be weighed on board for specimen claims but not for
record claims. They have actually created a "weighed onboard" specimen claim
for conservation purposes. A step in the right direction. Sorry about your
claim but rules are rules and the way forward is to get them changed, or the
skipper could of got his scales certified. Cheers, Norman.

Brian Cooke
February 3rd, 2004, 01:12 AM
A certified scales is not the answer either, unfortunately, as the fish has
to be weighed on land. I am willing to approach the
Irish Specimen Fish Committee ( who control the awarding of specimen
status ) with a proposal to vary their qualification
requirements , either in favour of the IGFA weight to length formula or a
weighing at sea with the lowest of three weighs to count.

I broached this idea before and although any angler I talked to was in
favour, mustering written back-up has always been an issue.
Another unfortunate fact is that the rules of the ISFC were established a
long time ago and there has been very limited change
( in rules or personell ! ) over the years. Tope are not viewed as a
critical tourist species, unlike skate for which the committee has made
commendable rulings.

If you are willing to gather names of anglers, clubs and charter boat
skippers in your area that would favour and support a change in the rules,
I will take same to the committee. I will be striving to do the same in
Leinster.

Skipper
February 3rd, 2004, 01:24 AM
Brian,

Will do. First of all I'm going to get in contact with a few of the charter
skippers in Kilmore Quay. I'm certain they would be happy to help drum up
support.

Will keep the group updated.

--

"Brian Cooke" > wrote in message
> A certified scales is not the answer either, unfortunately, as the fish
has
> to be weighed on land. I am willing to approach the
> Irish Specimen Fish Committee ( who control the awarding of specimen
> status ) with a proposal to vary their qualification
> requirements , either in favour of the IGFA weight to length formula or a
> weighing at sea with the lowest of three weighs to count.
>
> I broached this idea before and although any angler I talked to was in
> favour, mustering written back-up has always been an issue.
> Another unfortunate fact is that the rules of the ISFC were established a
> long time ago and there has been very limited change
> ( in rules or personell ! ) over the years. Tope are not viewed as a
> critical tourist species, unlike skate for which the committee has made
> commendable rulings.
>
> If you are willing to gather names of anglers, clubs and charter boat
> skippers in your area that would favour and support a change in the rules,
> I will take same to the committee. I will be striving to do the same in
> Leinster.

Sue & Jeri Drake
February 3rd, 2004, 05:57 PM
Hi All,

Hate to add a 'sour note' just here, for we are in agreement with any
promotion that rewards the catch and release of shark species,

BUT, there is no such animal as the 'IGFA formula', and the probable weight
to length formula that you are suggesting, is at best + or - 15% accurate to
a true weight of the animal being measured.

One of the IGFA subscribes, and a very qualified mathematician did some work
on the 'formula' a few years back, and came to the conclusion, that just
about every individual species needed its own 'mathematical constant' added
into the formula to get it even as close as +/- 5%, then another factor for
whether the fish is male or female.

So, by all means approach the CFB committee and see if you can get the rules
changed, but best avoid quoting the magical 'IGFA Formula', as there are
IGFA members on that committee.

Best of luck.

--
Sue & Jeri Drake