PDA

View Full Version : boat rods

willherb
February 4th, 2004, 09:41 PM
I want a boat rod but don't know what to look for. There is something to do
with weight class. I don't want and uptide/downtide whatever they are. As
for what type of fish I am after basically I will drop the weight/bate/hook
over the side and see what happens.

I might catch a small fish I might catch a medium fish I might catch a large
fish I don't know.

any help greatly accepted

Dave
February 4th, 2004, 10:54 PM
I would suggest you go for a rod about 7' 6" rated approx 20lb

You will need a reasonable reel, I would suggest a multipliers if the seabed
is snaggy as a fixed spool might not be that strong.

Most tackle shops have start up outfits, it all depends how much you want to
spend.

Check out some of the mail order tackle shops web sites for ideas. Penn is a
good make as any. Redwolf rods are good and cheap and made by Abu so you
have loads of choice.

Regards

Dave S

"willherb" > wrote in message
> I want a boat rod but don't know what to look for. There is something to
do
> with weight class. I don't want and uptide/downtide whatever they are. As
> for what type of fish I am after basically I will drop the
weight/bate/hook
> over the side and see what happens.
>
> I might catch a small fish I might catch a medium fish I might catch a
large
> fish I don't know.
>
> any help greatly accepted

Christopher Wildman
February 5th, 2004, 12:55 AM
"willherb" > wrote in message
> I want a boat rod but don't know what to look for. There is something to
do
> with weight class. I don't want and uptide/downtide whatever they are. As
> for what type of fish I am after basically I will drop the
weight/bate/hook
> over the side and see what happens.
>
> I might catch a small fish I might catch a medium fish I might catch a
large
> fish I don't know.
>
> any help greatly accepted

If you intend going with others, borrow some rods to see what you like -
some Charter boats have good tackle for hire - though some have broomsticks
with eyes taped on. Don't spend before you know what you want is the best
advice possible.
Chris.

Derek.Moody
February 5th, 2004, 01:01 AM
In article >, willherb
> wrote:
> I want a boat rod but don't know what to look for. There is something to do
> with weight class. I don't want and uptide/downtide whatever they are. As
> for what type of fish I am after basically I will drop the weight/bate/hook
> over the side and see what happens.
>
> I might catch a small fish I might catch a medium fish I might catch a large
> fish I don't know.

There is an easy answer to this one but first maybe we ought to establish
something about you, and where and what you'll be fishing for.

UK email addy so I suppose you're fishing UK water - which area(s)?

Are you a reasonably fit, average sized adult?

Is this from your own boat, a friend's, or commercial charter vessel?

Will you be going miles offshore fishing over wrecks, inshore over sand,
reefs, or maybe mostly in estaurial water?

Summer or all year round?

The safe, standard answer would set you up with a rod&reel suitable for
winter cod, big pollock and average conger...

But if your area is one where most catches will be flatties and bass, or one
where -big- conger or skate are the target then you'd need to tackle up
differently.

Oh, and my standard setup for strange area summer boatfishing would be about
12lb class, maybe a little lighter to start with, adjusting later in the
light of results.

Cheerio,

--

Skipper
February 9th, 2004, 04:04 AM
The best all-round rod class for general reef and wreck fishing is 30lb.
Something like a Shakespeare Ugly Stick 30lb with an Abu Ambassadeur 7000
is a great combination.

This rod type should suit most types of fishing from cod, whiting etc
through rays and bass right up to conger eels.

Hope this helps.

--

Skipper

***** WARNING - SPAMBUSTER IN OPERATION

***** Replace 'mapson' with 'boatskipper' to reply

"willherb" > wrote in message
> I want a boat rod but don't know what to look for. There is something to
do
> with weight class. I don't want and uptide/downtide whatever they are. As
> for what type of fish I am after basically I will drop the
weight/bate/hook
> over the side and see what happens.
>
> I might catch a small fish I might catch a medium fish I might catch a
large
> fish I don't know.
>
> any help greatly accepted

SEAANGLING
February 15th, 2004, 06:44 PM
>Something like a Shakespeare Ugly Stick 30lb with an Abu Ambassadeur 7000
>is a great combination.

For the cost of an ABU 7000 you could get a decent lever drag reel, just a
thought, Norman.

Bob Black
February 18th, 2004, 03:54 PM
have a look at:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3660957935&category=1495&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

Its a really good boat rod at a sensible price if you can get it under
£20.00

bob
"Skipper" > wrote in message
> The best all-round rod class for general reef and wreck fishing is 30lb.
> Something like a Shakespeare Ugly Stick 30lb with an Abu Ambassadeur 7000
> is a great combination.
>
> This rod type should suit most types of fishing from cod, whiting etc
> through rays and bass right up to conger eels.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
>
> Skipper
>
> ***** WARNING - SPAMBUSTER IN OPERATION
>
> ***** Replace 'mapson' with 'boatskipper' to reply
>

> "willherb" > wrote in message
> > I want a boat rod but don't know what to look for. There is something to
> do
> > with weight class. I don't want and uptide/downtide whatever they are.
As
> > for what type of fish I am after basically I will drop the
> weight/bate/hook
> > over the side and see what happens.
> >
> > I might catch a small fish I might catch a medium fish I might catch a
> large
> > fish I don't know.
> >
> > any help greatly accepted

Richard Cuffley