PDA

View Full Version : A list of GPS fishing marks ?

Howie
February 18th, 2004, 11:14 AM
I posted this as part of another message earlier, so I think it
might have been missed! Anyway, I'm starting boat fishing
in and around Torbay. Is there any way I can get a list of useful
marks in GPS coordinates to give me a starting point in this
area?

Thanks,

H.
--
Howard Coakley
e-mail... howard<dot}coakleyatcoakley<dot].codotuk

Skipper
February 18th, 2004, 05:03 PM
You either need to find another boating and fishing enthusiast willing to
give you their waypoints or a *very* friendly charter skipper.

Failing this, try using Admiralty charts for the area in which you intend
fishing (these are widely available - go for the most detailed version if
there is a choice). Admiralty charts show the location of wrecks and
sandbanks that will most likely hold fish. If wrecking, you will need to use
a zig-zag search pattern and your fish finder to find the exact location and
lie of the wreck (which you should mark on your GPS) - charts aren't that
accurate.

Hope this will help.

--

Skipper

***** WARNING - SPAMBUSTER IN OPERATION

***** Replace 'mapson' with 'boatskipper' to reply

"Howie" > wrote in message
> I posted this as part of another message earlier, so I think it
> might have been missed! Anyway, I'm starting boat fishing
> in and around Torbay. Is there any way I can get a list of useful
> marks in GPS coordinates to give me a starting point in this
> area?
>
> Thanks,
>
> H.
> --
> Howard Coakley
> e-mail... howard<dot}coakleyatcoakley<dot].codotuk
> ICQ:4502837. (Try ICQ at www.icq.com)

roddytoo
February 18th, 2004, 08:06 PM
"Howie" > wrote in message
> I posted this as part of another message earlier, so I think it
> might have been missed! Anyway, I'm starting boat fishing
> in and around Torbay. Is there any way I can get a list of useful
> marks in GPS coordinates to give me a starting point in this
> area?
>
> Thanks,
>
> H.
> --
> Howard Coakley
> e-mail... howard<dot}coakleyatcoakley<dot].codotuk
> ICQ:4502837. (Try ICQ at www.icq.com)

Such things are usually a carefully guarded secret.

Dave
February 18th, 2004, 08:32 PM
May I suggest you go to your local library and see if they have any "Diving
in Devon" books

They often give details about wrecks and locations, not always accurate
however.

Try a search on the web for diving clubs locally or better still go along to
where they all meet and ask

Hope you get some good marks

Dave

"Howie" > wrote in message
> I posted this as part of another message earlier, so I think it
> might have been missed! Anyway, I'm starting boat fishing
> in and around Torbay. Is there any way I can get a list of useful
> marks in GPS coordinates to give me a starting point in this
> area?
>
> Thanks,
>
> H.
> --
> Howard Coakley
> e-mail... howard<dot}coakleyatcoakley<dot].codotuk
> ICQ:4502837. (Try ICQ at www.icq.com)

Bob Black
February 19th, 2004, 09:09 AM
There is some more wreck info on the following site:
http://users.pandora.be/tree/wrecksite/_en/home/home.html#

mostly south of England but it seems to cover Devon.

Bob

"Howie" > wrote in message
> I posted this as part of another message earlier, so I think it
> might have been missed! Anyway, I'm starting boat fishing
> in and around Torbay. Is there any way I can get a list of useful
> marks in GPS coordinates to give me a starting point in this
> area?
>
> Thanks,
>
> H.
> --
> Howard Coakley
> e-mail... howard<dot}coakleyatcoakley<dot].codotuk
> ICQ:4502837. (Try ICQ at www.icq.com)

Bob Black
February 19th, 2004, 09:14 AM
I have also recently found more wrecks than anybody local knows about by
searching in
http://mappe.c-marina.com/partners/ucina/portsearch.asp

loads of good gps positions for wrecks.
I think its really sad that people find good fishing spots and keep them
secret, I can understand Charter skippers as its their livelihood but sport
anglers and day anglers................

Bob
"Howie" > wrote in message
> I posted this as part of another message earlier, so I think it
> might have been missed! Anyway, I'm starting boat fishing
> in and around Torbay. Is there any way I can get a list of useful
> marks in GPS coordinates to give me a starting point in this
> area?
>
> Thanks,
>
> H.
> --
> Howard Coakley
> e-mail... howard<dot}coakleyatcoakley<dot].codotuk
> ICQ:4502837. (Try ICQ at www.icq.com)

Simon UK
February 25th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Howie wrote:
> I posted this as part of another message earlier, so I think it
> might have been missed! Anyway, I'm starting boat fishing
> in and around Torbay. Is there any way I can get a list of useful
> marks in GPS coordinates to give me a starting point in this
> area?
>
> Thanks,
>
> H.

Also take a peek at: http://www.richardhancock.com

I know him personally and you can contact him via dolphindiving.com if
you wanted more information (he is a really nice chap!).

--

Simon Day
Free desktop wallpapers of Torbay at: http://www.simonday.com

Howie
February 26th, 2004, 09:32 AM
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:51:36 +0000 (UTC), Simon UK
> wrote:

|Howie wrote:
|> I posted this as part of another message earlier, so I think it
|> might have been missed! Anyway, I'm starting boat fishing
|> in and around Torbay. Is there any way I can get a list of useful
|> marks in GPS coordinates to give me a starting point in this
|> area?
|>
|> Thanks,
|>
|> H.
|
|Also take a peek at: http://www.richardhancock.com
|
|I know him personally and you can contact him via dolphindiving.com if
|you wanted more information (he is a really nice chap!).

Hi Simon. Very useful stuff here. Appreciate the help.
Nice site BTW, - yours I mean!

I had a look in the library and they have nothing showing
locations of local wrecks or features of Tor-bay. So Richard's
site seems a good bet. Cheers.

--
Howard Coakley
e-mail... howard<dot}coakleyatcoakley<dot].codotuk
ICQ:4502837. (Try ICQ at www.icq.com)

Richard Cuffley
March 12th, 2004, 06:41 PM
pop down to your local boat chandlery shop, they should do a map type thing
with a list of local
dive sites in the area, they might not be totally accurate but I guess its
then down
to looking at the fish finder to find out where it is

Rich in exmouth

"Simon UK" > wrote in message
> Howie wrote:
> > I posted this as part of another message earlier, so I think it
> > might have been missed! Anyway, I'm starting boat fishing
> > in and around Torbay. Is there any way I can get a list of useful
> > marks in GPS coordinates to give me a starting point in this
> > area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > H.
>
> Also take a peek at: http://www.richardhancock.com
>
> I know him personally and you can contact him via dolphindiving.com if
> you wanted more information (he is a really nice chap!).
>
> --
>
> Simon Day
> Free desktop wallpapers of Torbay at: http://www.simonday.com

Howie
March 14th, 2004, 11:58 AM
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:41:16 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Cuffley"
> wrote:

|pop down to your local boat chandlery shop, they should do a map type thing
|with a list of local
|dive sites in the area, they might not be totally accurate but I guess its
|then down
|to looking at the fish finder to find out where it is
|
|Rich in exmouth

Thanks Rich, Hadn't thought of that. Will do!
Cheers,
H.