PDA

View Full Version : Played hooky again...

Andrew Kidd
September 27th, 2003, 01:13 AM
Skipped out of work today. Went fishing at Geist Reservoir in Central
Indiana. Front was approaching and I thought it would be a great
opportunity to hit some active fish. Water temp was 66 when I finally got
there at 9:00am. Had a few trailer wiring problems.
Fishing started out pretty good...had a 14 incher on a deep diving
crankbait within the first half hour. Another one got off a few minutes
later. Felt like a decent one.
Had an hour and a half dry spell, so I switched to jig and pig and
started fishing in the weeds. The weeds are an emergant type, with thin
willow like leaves and about 10-12 inches sticking out of the water, over
about two feet of water. Within the first three casts I pulled out a chubby
17.5" LM that weighed in at 3lb3oz. Snapped a picture and continued,
thinking I had the pattern nailed. As overcast as it was (and spitting rain
occasionally) I was a little surprised to find that bass in the weeds. I
would have thought they would have been active and pretty spread out away
from the cover. At least on the outside of the weeds. This guy was way in
there.
Pitched and pitched and pitched... Decided after about an hour and
several hundred feet of weeds that this jig wasn't cutting it. Switched to
the spinnerbait and continued pitching it into the weeds. Caught another
14" within the next couple casts. Now I think, this is the ticket. Pitch
and pitch and pitch that spinnerbait. Started switching up, trying a few
different places. Finally head towards the bridge near the ramp, thinking
I'm going to be giving up shortly.
At this point, I have three fish, all keepers, and have been fishing for
nearly 4 hours without a bite. Had worn out the spinnerbait and jig. Pull
out my old trusty Bill Norman Deep Baby N crankbait and begin casting to the
bridge. On the third cast, I catch my fourth keeper, another 14.5" fish.
Three or so casts later, I pull a 15.5" off the bridge piling. I cast for
another 10 minutes, catching a 16.5", 2lb 7oz off another piling. Decide
after a couple dozen more casts that it's time to head out. Left the lake
around 4:30pm.
Final total for the day 6 fish - 6 keepers. Saw several balls of shad in
coves, heading towards the backs of them. Looks like Fall is here.

All-in-all, I'm glad I went! :-) It was worth the days vacation. Will
post a couple pics over at APBF a little later...
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Brad Coovert
September 27th, 2003, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the report Andrew. That's a good day for Geist, at least it is IMO!

I may put it in for this falls Classic.

I hate those weeds. It takes forever to fish'em as there are miles and miles
of them in that lake and the fish could be anywhere in them as there seems to
be no real feature near any of them but 2' of water.

Brad
Brad Coovert, 2003 Tournament Director, Greenfield Bassmasters
Please visit our sponsors:
http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

Andrew Kidd
September 27th, 2003, 01:54 PM
No problem Brad. It was a real wierd day. I will let you know this: I
didn't go beyond the marina bridge. All the fish were caught between the
Olio rd bridge and the marina bridge. I'll email you the details of
locations if you'd like.
--

"Brad Coovert" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the report Andrew. That's a good day for Geist, at least it is
IMO!

> I may put it in for this falls Classic.
>
> I hate those weeds. It takes forever to fish'em as there are miles and
miles
> of them in that lake and the fish could be anywhere in them as there seems
> be no real feature near any of them but 2' of water.
>
> Brad
> Brad Coovert, 2003 Tournament Director, Greenfield Bassmasters
> Please visit our sponsors:
> http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

Brad Coovert
September 27th, 2003, 03:04 PM
> All the fish were caught between the
>Olio rd bridge and the marina bridge. I'll email you the details of
>locations if you'd like.

If we draw out Geist, I'll let you know. I usually go as far as up as I can go
in the two large arms at Devil's Elbow and throw cranks all day. Gave me two
wins in two weeks on Geist when the lake was hit with the big drawdown during
the drought year.

Have you fished Summit Lake any this year? They have some team tourneys that
are taking 25-30lbs. to win on big cranks like DD22's and Fat Free Shads. 10
fish limit I assume. A few guys may put that in the draw for our classic and
one guy is planning on putting St. Joe in. I'd put Glenn Flint back in again,
but there is a club with about 25 boats having a two day tourney there that
weekend. That's about all the boats that lake can handle.

I'll be prefishing the river at Broad Ripple on 10/4. I'll let you know if I
have an open seat. I'd be fishing today, but last nights monsoon probably has
the river up and muddy and I have bronchitis :-(. Also, if the river does get
too nasty to fish, Geist is our dump lake.

Brad Coovert, 2003 Tournament Director, Greenfield Bassmasters
Please visit our sponsors:
http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

Andrew Kidd
September 27th, 2003, 10:52 PM
"Brad Coovert" > wrote in message
> > All the fish were caught between the
> >Olio rd bridge and the marina bridge. I'll email you the details of
> >locations if you'd like.
>
> If we draw out Geist, I'll let you know. I usually go as far as up as I
can go
> in the two large arms at Devil's Elbow and throw cranks all day. Gave me
two
> wins in two weeks on Geist when the lake was hit with the big drawdown
during
> the drought year.
>
> Have you fished Summit Lake any this year? They have some team tourneys
that
> are taking 25-30lbs. to win on big cranks like DD22's and Fat Free Shads.
10
> fish limit I assume. A few guys may put that in the draw for our classic
and
> one guy is planning on putting St. Joe in. I'd put Glenn Flint back in
again,
> but there is a club with about 25 boats having a two day tourney there
that
> weekend. That's about all the boats that lake can handle.
>
> I'll be prefishing the river at Broad Ripple on 10/4. I'll let you know
if I
> have an open seat. I'd be fishing today, but last nights monsoon probably
has
> the river up and muddy and I have bronchitis :-(. Also, if the river does
get
> too nasty to fish, Geist is our dump lake.

Just let me know about the river fishing. I think I have Saturday open.
Should be pretty quiet there by now. I think the skiers might have hung it
up for the year on the river. But then again I saw a skier out yesterday on
Geist, and it was all of 55 degrees air temp with the water at 66-64
degrees.

The fish at Summit were hitting buzzbaits early morning up close to the
weeds a couple weeks ago. Caught a few fishing cranks over the weeds later,
but it's really strenuous fishing with the rod tip that high to get over the
weeds. Fished earlier in the year and had quite a bit of success with the
cranks over the weeds. I usually use a white with lt purple back...

I suppose a spinnerbait in white with a white or silver willow leaf blade
would probably do the trick as well. I've had excellent days at Summit
fishing the spinnerbait to the edge of the weeds, then killing it to let it
drop down the edge of the weeds.
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!
http://www.rofb.net/ - ROFB Newsgroup Home

Brad Coovert
September 28th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the info on your Summit trips. I've never fished it in a boat, only
from the shore and that was when I was a kid and the lake was not open yet to
the public.

Is there a map of Summit?