PDA

View Full Version : Algae Bloom

Shawn
September 27th, 2003, 05:42 AM
What's up with this? We're about 10 degrees away from morning snow and the
lakes have a fresh algae bloom on them! I thought this was a warm weather
occurrence.

And where the h-e-"double toothpicks" did the fish go! What do you guys do
on an algae bloom? Go home? I flipped and pitched and whirled and hurled and
all I came up with was a 28" Northern (blasted thing!).

--
Early to Bed, Early to Rise,
Fish all Day, Make up Lies.

Shawn

Andrew Kidd
September 27th, 2003, 01:33 PM
"Shawn" > wrote in message
> What's up with this? We're about 10 degrees away from morning snow and the
> lakes have a fresh algae bloom on them! I thought this was a warm weather
> occurrence.
>
> And where the h-e-"double toothpicks" did the fish go! What do you guys do
> on an algae bloom? Go home? I flipped and pitched and whirled and hurled
and
> all I came up with was a 28" Northern (blasted thing!).

Are you sure the lake hasn't turned over? If you haven't heard of it, it
happens when all of the nice warm water suddenly turns cold on top. Cold
water is heavier then warm, so the warmer water below swaps places. That
water is usually lower in oxygen and much murkier as well. It can really
screw with the fishing for a couple days. It is my understanding of this
phenom that it usually only happens on lakes that typicallly maintain some
sort of thermocline (i.e. lakes without current - non-reservoir type
lakes.)
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Shawn
September 27th, 2003, 02:34 PM
> "Shawn" wrote ...

> > What's up with this? We're about 10 degrees away from morning snow and
the
> > lakes have a fresh algae bloom on them! I thought this was a warm
weather
> > occurrence.
> >
> > And where the h-e-"double toothpicks" did the fish go! What do you guys
do
> > on an algae bloom? Go home? I flipped and pitched and whirled and hurled
> and
> > all I came up with was a 28" Northern (blasted thing!).

"Andrew Kidd" wrote ...

> Are you sure the lake hasn't turned over? If you haven't heard of it, it
> happens when all of the nice warm water suddenly turns cold on top. Cold
> water is heavier then warm, so the warmer water below swaps places. That
> water is usually lower in oxygen and much murkier as well. It can really
> screw with the fishing for a couple days. It is my understanding of this
> phenom that it usually only happens on lakes that typicallly maintain some
> sort of thermocline (i.e. lakes without current - non-reservoir type
> lakes.)
> --

Definitely an algae bloom. Not the clover looking type but the tiny particle
type. On the retrieve your line "cuts a line" on the surface, so you and
everybody else knows exactly where you've made a cast. Nothing thick, but
the tip will booger up after about 10 casts.

I doubt there's any thermocline to this lake, as it's a typical small
Wisconsin lake (450 acres) with the deepest part being only 20' down. It has
two small, murky bottom bays that take up about 50 acres and a spillway on
the south end. No current to speak of, but water definitely moves.

The boat I was on didn't have a working sonar and this was our first look at
the lake. We cruised the shoreline casting search baits; spinners, grubs,
flukes, and lipless cranks. Pete (my neighbor) landed one short bass near
the spillway on a beetle spin, and I nabbed the Northern on a Mann's 1- in
one of the bays.

In retrospect, this may have been a decent time to experiment with the drop
shot in deeper water. Pete was tiring from the casting and probably would
have preferred to drown a worm.

--
Shawn

Illinois Fisherman
September 27th, 2003, 09:22 PM
We have algae on the river and some lakes here in Northern Illinois also.

"Shawn" > wrote in message
> What's up with this? We're about 10 degrees away from morning snow and the
> lakes have a fresh algae bloom on them! I thought this was a warm weather
> occurrence.
>
> And where the h-e-"double toothpicks" did the fish go! What do you guys do
> on an algae bloom? Go home? I flipped and pitched and whirled and hurled
and
> all I came up with was a 28" Northern (blasted thing!).
>
> --
> Early to Bed, Early to Rise,
> Fish all Day, Make up Lies.
>
> Shawn

Joe
September 29th, 2003, 12:32 AM
I agree with Andrew. A few of the lakes I used to fish around Fergus Falls
MN would go green about now for a few weeks. One would have chunks of
decaying vegetation floating up. Joe Z.