PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for bass busting on shad

SHRED
September 27th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Last week, on my favorite lake, I came upon a line of tiny shad(I think they
are shad) maybe 2" long each. They were being gorged on by a few healthy
bass.

The water was 2-7 feet deep and murky with 1 foot visibility.

I tried shallow running cank/rapalas, topwater popper, and a jerkbait all to
no avail. Frustrating!

Anyone have a favorite way to deal with this situation when bass are
busting?
I am thinking of running a white spinnerbait just under the surface.

Any specific technique/rigging I should try?

Thanks a million!
SHRED

Craig
September 27th, 2003, 02:26 PM
I found the Spit'n Image and Spit'n Jr to be my best shad busting, water
boiling lures.

--
Craig

Shawn
September 27th, 2003, 02:37 PM
"SHRED" wrote...

> Last week, on my favorite lake, I came upon a line of tiny shad(I think
they
> are shad) maybe 2" long each. They were being gorged on by a few healthy
> bass.
>
> The water was 2-7 feet deep and murky with 1 foot visibility.
>
> I tried shallow running cank/rapalas, topwater popper, and a jerkbait all
> no avail. Frustrating!
>
> Anyone have a favorite way to deal with this situation when bass are
> busting?
> I am thinking of running a white spinnerbait just under the surface.
>
> Any specific technique/rigging I should try?
>
> Thanks a million!

Deadstick a Fluke or Senko right in the middle of the action.

LKMEYER
September 27th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Shad pattern rattlin rap. Run it fast first around the edges then through the
school.

Chuck Coger
September 27th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Silver Spoons work well for me to catch the top side schoolers. I also throw
a big worm or oversized soft jerkbait in the middle of them and let it sink
to the bottom. The object with this is not to catch the fish activley
schooling, but to try and get the larger bass that often hang around under
the school picked off the wounded shad or even smaller bass.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"SHRED" > wrote in message
> Last week, on my favorite lake, I came upon a line of tiny shad(I think
they
> are shad) maybe 2" long each. They were being gorged on by a few healthy
> bass.
>
> The water was 2-7 feet deep and murky with 1 foot visibility.
>
> I tried shallow running cank/rapalas, topwater popper, and a jerkbait all
> no avail. Frustrating!
>
> Anyone have a favorite way to deal with this situation when bass are
> busting?
> I am thinking of running a white spinnerbait just under the surface.
>
> Any specific technique/rigging I should try?
>
> Thanks a million!
> SHRED

alwaysfishking
September 28th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Try some Senkos, wacky rigged. or better yet grab some bass assassins and
skitter them throught he baitfish, then let it die. You won't be disapointed
"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
> Silver Spoons work well for me to catch the top side schoolers. I also
throw
> a big worm or oversized soft jerkbait in the middle of them and let it
sink
> to the bottom. The object with this is not to catch the fish activley
> schooling, but to try and get the larger bass that often hang around under
> the school picked off the wounded shad or even smaller bass.
>

> ---
> Chuck Coger
> http://www.fishin-pro.com
>

> "SHRED" > wrote in message
> > Last week, on my favorite lake, I came upon a line of tiny shad(I think
> they
> > are shad) maybe 2" long each. They were being gorged on by a few healthy
> > bass.
> >
> > The water was 2-7 feet deep and murky with 1 foot visibility.
> >
> > I tried shallow running cank/rapalas, topwater popper, and a jerkbait
all
> > no avail. Frustrating!
> >
> > Anyone have a favorite way to deal with this situation when bass are
> > busting?
> > I am thinking of running a white spinnerbait just under the surface.
> >
> > Any specific technique/rigging I should try?
> >
> > Thanks a million!
> > SHRED

Bob La Londe
September 29th, 2003, 01:11 AM
Ihave had very good luck on busting bass with a small topwater. I favor the
Cabelas Real Image in a babay bass pattern, but any of the silver and lback
shad pattern topwaters I have used worked well for this situation.

Dave Willhyde, a local pro that occassionaly gives me a little good advice
says he likes to change up with a glitter shad pattern jerk bait floating
down through the area because sometimes the bigger bass will sit down lower
and suck up the wounded minnows that flutter down after the little ones near
the surface smash them up.

I know in one feeding frenxy I got on earlier this year my biggest bass was
caught on a topwater that had been dragged under by a small fish and then
let go. The bigger fish nailedit as it was floating back to the surface
from about 3 feet down.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

"SHRED" > wrote in message
> Last week, on my favorite lake, I came upon a line of tiny shad(I think
they
> are shad) maybe 2" long each. They were being gorged on by a few healthy
> bass.
>
> The water was 2-7 feet deep and murky with 1 foot visibility.
>
> I tried shallow running cank/rapalas, topwater popper, and a jerkbait all
> no avail. Frustrating!
>
> Anyone have a favorite way to deal with this situation when bass are
> busting?
> I am thinking of running a white spinnerbait just under the surface.
>
> Any specific technique/rigging I should try?
>
> Thanks a million!
> SHRED

Justin Hires
September 29th, 2003, 02:27 AM
"SHRED" > wrote in message news:<sOfdb.24988$gv5.24536@fed1read05>...
> Last week, on my favorite lake, I came upon a line of tiny shad(I think they
> are shad) maybe 2" long each. They were being gorged on by a few healthy
> bass.
>
> The water was 2-7 feet deep and murky with 1 foot visibility.
>
> I tried shallow running cank/rapalas, topwater popper, and a jerkbait all to
> no avail. Frustrating!
>
> Anyone have a favorite way to deal with this situation when bass are
> busting?
> I am thinking of running a white spinnerbait just under the surface.
>
> Any specific technique/rigging I should try?
>
> Thanks a million!
> SHRED
-----------------------------------
You say the water is Murky? So, most topwaters are out the window. Except
a buzzbait (Chartreuse/white). Use a spinnerbait..Chart. all the way..skirt,
blades. Use colorado blades. Try fishing it no more than a 1' first..no
responce.. try at all levels..even to the bottom if you have to! Of course
I would use a (S.W.) spinnerbait.
Also, try chart. worms, jigs with a lizard trailer, cranks. In murky water
you want the bass to see the lures the best..so bright colors work best!

-Justin
----------------------------------

Richard g
October 12th, 2003, 12:17 PM
On 28 Sep 2003 18:27:00 -0700, (Justin Hires)
wrote:

>"SHRED" > wrote in message news:<sOfdb.24988$gv5.24536@fed1read05>...
>> Last week, on my favorite lake, I came upon a line of tiny shad(I think they
>> are shad) maybe 2" long each. They were being gorged on by a few healthy
>> bass.
>>
>> The water was 2-7 feet deep and murky with 1 foot visibility.

>You say the water is Murky? So, most topwaters are out the window. Except
>a buzzbait (Chartreuse/white).................

Not quite understanding this. Yesterday where I fished the water was
murky, only 6 inches visibility. Bass all over the pond were hitting
top water. And they were not busting shad on top. In the above case
the school of shad is being pinned against the surface, surface plugs
are an option.

Richard g
www.bassstalkers.com