PDA

View Full Version : Little, but boy does it catch fish!

Craig
September 28th, 2003, 06:52 AM
I don't know about you, but the one lure I forget about that is a proven
fish magnet is the rooster tail in-line spinnerbait.

Everytime I tie one of these puppies on, I catch a ton of fish. I put it
away primarily because it does catch everything from bass, to perch, to
crappie, to bluegill, to walleye, to big o muskie. But if you are just
going out for a day of fun, tie one on and just watch all that you catch.

Today I tied on a white 1/8-ounce roostertail with a chrome blade and I bet
I caught a fish every other cast. Mostly silver (a.k.a white) bass, a ton
of rock bass, a few nice perch, a good dozen smallies, a couple walleye, a
small pike, a couple crappie, a couple big gills, and even one channel cat.
Fun! Fun! Fun!

If you have'em, work'em. Great Day!

--
Craig

Charles B. Summers
September 28th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Yup... Rooster Tail is a good one, but something I usually forget about
unless I'm not catching anything. Anytime my daughter comes along on a trip
with me though, she's either got one of them tied on or a Rapala minnow.
Both are excellent baits, but usually only for smaller fish.

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
"Craig" > wrote in message
.com...
> I don't know about you, but the one lure I forget about that is a proven
> fish magnet is the rooster tail in-line spinnerbait.
>
> Everytime I tie one of these puppies on, I catch a ton of fish. I put it
> away primarily because it does catch everything from bass, to perch, to
> crappie, to bluegill, to walleye, to big o muskie. But if you are just
> going out for a day of fun, tie one on and just watch all that you catch.
>
> Today I tied on a white 1/8-ounce roostertail with a chrome blade and I
bet
> I caught a fish every other cast. Mostly silver (a.k.a white) bass, a ton
> of rock bass, a few nice perch, a good dozen smallies, a couple walleye, a
> small pike, a couple crappie, a couple big gills, and even one channel
cat.
> Fun! Fun! Fun!
>
> If you have'em, work'em. Great Day!
>
> --
> Craig

Bob La Londe
September 28th, 2003, 06:53 PM
The Rooster Tail is one of the easiest lures to fish in open water, and
works great for kids. The flash of the blade spinning as you reel it in is
very satisfying. I think its an excellent alternative for kids when they
don't have the patience to sit and watch a float bob in the waves.

The Rooster Tail with a chrome blade and a black body or a pale powder blue
body has been one of my standby baits for many years. In fact I'd bet there
are many years that I never tied on another bait. Slow dragged across a
sandy or heavy mud bottom or in areas where they are hunting aggressively
they will definitely catch catfish.

My first positive experience bass fishing was with Rooster Tails and similar
spinners. They are excellent to back wind slowly in a current to fish under
a bridge or other area that is difficult to fish with anything else. I'ld
have to say that the 1/6 oz has been the most productive for me.

In smaller sizes and brighter color they are also excellent for trout in
streams. I was never very good with a flyrod, and some of those small trout
streams will allow other artificials. A bright green or bright orange 1/8
oz or smaller rooster tail certainly get the attention of any actively
feedign rainbows. Its also an excellent lure for a kid because of the self
setting anture of the way it is fish with either a steady crank or a pulsing
retrieve. I've caught my fair share of rainbow trout and a few browns with
a 1/16th oz Rooster Tail on light or ultralight tackle.

They have one "drawback." I put that in quotes because it may be considered
a plus by some. In waters heavily populated with some fish you will snag a
lot. In some of the pools in the Gila River when they water dropped the
last time we would snag a tilapia almost every other cast as the water
dropped and the fish got bunched together.

The "snag" amd "easy hook up" nature of this bait does make it difficult to
fish in weedy areas with hydrilla or even salvinia becasue the hooks will
almost instantly foul. It can sometimes be fished over submerged weeds with
success by holding a longer rod up high and reeling quickly enough to keep
the lure between the tops of the weeds and the surface.

As a kid this lure was solely responsible for my skills with a spinning rod.
I quickly learned that I could catch more fish by putting this lure against
the far bank or with in inches of a weed line. I never had the money to be
able to waste baits so if I hung it in the weeds or rocks on the far bank I
either had to go home or go swimming. If you put it in the brush it will
hang up solid 90% of the time.

I'm glad this topic came up. Roosters used to be my favorite lure, but I
haven't tied on a single one all year. I have a whole box of them sitting
under my fishing junk basket I play with in the living room. It's time to
tie one on next time out.

In fact I think I'll add my comments above to the product review page on my
website.

The Rooster Tail is a very good lure, and it is very easy to fish in many
circumstances.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az