PDA

View Full Version : tips for bass??

None
September 22nd, 2003, 04:01 PM
....I've just returned to fishing after a long hiatus,, looking for
advice.... Yesterday I went out fishing in the morning on a small lake.
Moss covered nearly the whole lake. I tried various lures and ended up
sticking a moss mouse on the line. Within a couple casts I had a strike at
the mouse. I gave it a second or two after the strike and tried setting the
hook. No fish on the hook. I continued reeling the mouse in and boom
another strike,, tried setting hook quicker this time,,,, still no fish on
the hook. I recast the mouse to a different part of the lake where I saw
the bass heading to and I got another strike, waited 3 seconds to set the
hook, no luck here either.
The rest of the morning at the lake didn't even bring me a nibble.
Feeling unsatisfied I grabbed my fishing pole last night just around sunset
and walked over to the pond thats in my neighborhood. I worked my way
around the pond w/ a buzzbait until I got a strike. Guess what? 6 Strikes
at the buzzbait in the period of about 10 minutes, but was unable to hook
any of the fish.

Any suggestions? Maybe I should haved switched to something smaller? A
spinner?

Charles B. Summers
September 23rd, 2003, 04:18 PM
For bass discussion... come on over to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass and
introduce yourself!

"None" > wrote in message
> ...I've just returned to fishing after a long hiatus,, looking for
> advice.... Yesterday I went out fishing in the morning on a small lake.
> Moss covered nearly the whole lake. I tried various lures and ended up
> sticking a moss mouse on the line. Within a couple casts I had a strike
at
> the mouse. I gave it a second or two after the strike and tried setting
the
> hook. No fish on the hook. I continued reeling the mouse in and boom
> another strike,, tried setting hook quicker this time,,,, still no fish on
> the hook. I recast the mouse to a different part of the lake where I saw
> the bass heading to and I got another strike, waited 3 seconds to set the
> hook, no luck here either.
> The rest of the morning at the lake didn't even bring me a nibble.
> Feeling unsatisfied I grabbed my fishing pole last night just around
sunset
> and walked over to the pond thats in my neighborhood. I worked my way
> around the pond w/ a buzzbait until I got a strike. Guess what? 6
Strikes
> at the buzzbait in the period of about 10 minutes, but was unable to hook
> any of the fish.
>
> Any suggestions? Maybe I should haved switched to something smaller? A
> spinner?

Andrew
September 23rd, 2003, 10:53 PM
Never fish a topwater, other than at popper or prop bait that has t.
hooks, without a stinger(or trailer) hook.

John Kerr
October 1st, 2003, 03:51 AM
We all miss some strikes, don't get discouraged. I do suggest setting
the hook "now" though...don't wait 3 seconds!
JK

Bob La Londe
October 3rd, 2003, 06:41 AM
I guess that depends on what your are fishing. With any type of crank bait
or topwater I set the instant I feel it.

Quite often with rubber worms I have pulled the bait out of the fish's mouth
on an instant hook set. When sight fishing I like to set the hook when the
fish turns away from me. I have even been know to spook them so I could get
a good hook set.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> We all miss some strikes, don't get discouraged. I do suggest setting
> the hook "now" though...don't wait 3 seconds!
> JK

Jim Laumann
October 4th, 2003, 04:50 AM
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:01:02 GMT, "None" > wrote:

>...I've just returned to fishing after a long hiatus,, looking for
>advice....

snippage....

Silly as this sounds, are your hooks sharp?

Jim

2003 R.O.F.B. NWC
Largest Non Bass Trophy Winner

Robb Nunya
October 7th, 2003, 05:06 AM
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 03:50:51 GMT, Jim Laumann >
scribed:

>On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:01:02 GMT, "None" > wrote:
>
>>...I've just returned to fishing after a long hiatus,, looking for
>>advice....
>
>snippage....
>
>Silly as this sounds, are your hooks sharp?
>

>Jim
>
>2003 R.O.F.B. NWC
>Largest Non Bass Trophy Winner

Doesn't sound silly to me...