PDA

View Full Version : Bad day on the water, or just a good day for little fish?

RichZ
September 28th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Mudge. Started out dark and dreary with calm winds. By 10 AM, it was rainy
with patches of sun and light, variable winds. By 1pm, it was mostly sunny
with a stiff breeze out of the SSW. I hate days like that, where the
weather keeps changing every couple hours. It's been my experience that the
fish don't like 'em much, either.

Water in the shallow pad beds was 63 early. Main lake 66, which the pad
beds were up to by noon.

Half-day & I caught 10 LMB on my standard 5-3/4" Fin-S Fish, all before
10AM. Never had a serious hit in the pads. All the fish came in sparse
weeds from 5 to 10 feet of water. Unfortunately, they were all in the 1 to
1-1/2 pound range. When that shallow action seemed to be dying out, we
started paying a bit more attention to the outside weed edges, and we each
got a couple on Baby Brush Hogs along the outside weedline in 12 to 15
feet. Then I started fooling with my little 2-1/2" Fin-S Fish. Needed a 1/8
oz head because of the breeze. Caught another half-dozen LM on that,
including the biggest of the day, which still wasn't very big (2 pounds,
tops). But the little Fin-S also produced a half dozen crappie, 4 big
bluegill and 8 yellows, a couple of which were in the 12 to 13" range.

Left the water about 2:30. The crappie and bluegill came home with me, and
we had a fresh fish dinner last night. I don't bring anything home to eat
very often. Rarely anything other than crappie or walleye. Man those fish
were good.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Charles B. Summers
September 29th, 2003, 04:19 PM
You did better than Joe and I. We fished for about 6 hours on Saturday
night... post cold front, with only a few nibbles here and there, and only
one fish. That was one pretty fish though...